How College Students View The NEW U2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheU2CelticRiff

Babyface
I love U2....but as a man who they are trying to target on thier new record....I will say that this album is " Good"... that my friends is being generous. I'm kinda dissapointed. Bono needs to stop hypin up records like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He just nixes the band.
My college peers HATE the new album epsecially " Vertigo" This is NOT good news folks...this is just a proportion of a population of college students. This is who the band is goingafter in thier marketing and they are failing. I love U2 but this album yhas jest surpassed medicority. Dammit. This is kinda scary.

I hear Dave Matthews and Hootie and the Blowfish are popular amongst the college crowd :wink: maybe try taking that route..

You know why they are "failing," it is evidenced by the fact that Eminem's album is #2. People's taste in music these days is going down the toilet. If any of you watched TRL waiting for U2 to come on and caught that ludacris video, you know what I mean. What a load of crap. I'm in college, and I love U2. And I can't stand ludacris, 50-cent and all the other rappers. Eminem has some talent, but he's not half as good as U2.

The point is, all college kids want to do is drive down the street thumpin "fiddy cent" on their systems and look cool. The music everyone is listening to these days is crap. It makes me so sick I don't even listen to the radio because it's on alllll day. Thank the lord we have U2.

i think we will all see once again when the tour rolls into town, a buzz and excitment which to be honest no one else can create apart from U2 and i mean NO ONE, lets just hope these people that are saying the "hate" the album dont try and buy tickets for the new tour,

Who cares what your friends think. Maybe they just don't like U2's sound, which is very present on this new album. Their loss.

Well I think the album is average but I will be buying tickets for the tour in the uk cos I have been going to U2 concerts since 1987.
Also @TheU2CelticRiff - I kinda agree with your sentiments there.

Do what I did, take it for a long ride and break it in. If they still don't like it, Destiny's Child has a new one out:|

This one had to grow on me for just 1 day of listening to it... at first listen I was worried about it, but now I think it is probably in the top 3 for me.

I love it, my girl loves it, my bro loves it, Pete loves it, Mac loves it, Mac's girl loves it, my sis loves it, Pam from work loves it.

My husband was joking on crap music and used Destiny's Child as an example :der: It's all Beyonce's show and who she decides to hire and fire with her Daddy. All she does is moan anyway and it all sounds the same. :tsk: More Britney crap :down:

Oh, and BTW my teenage neices say that Vertigo is popular in their school and kids are loving the ipod commercial! :happy:

I'm in college and I love U2 and I worship "The Bomb"! Also, I coulda died the other day when some guys were watching "Rattle and Hum" in the lobby. I was like huh? ya'll like u2? Also, one day i heard a guy playing "New York". I am glad I am not the lone U2 fan in my residence hall.

I'm a college student, and I love U2. I think it goes for all people, old and young alike - either you like the band or you don't. Either their music appeals to your tastes, or you're out of luck. C'est la vie. :)

-Miggy

everyone that i've had listen to it has loved it. even my friends, and im in high school. my family, friends, anyone that i've had listen to it has loved it

I first was exposed to U2 in college. My sophmore year when ATYCLB came out. My roomate was a huge fan, so she introduced me to U2's 1980's stuff. I actually already owned AB and Zooropa, but hadn't dusted those off in years.

Point? I don't think it has to do with being college-aged and not liking the music. Maybe they are too judgmental of the band or the U2 sound. Perhaps you can tell us what music they like?

none of my friends really like U2 too much, although lately they've been getting increasingly impressed... after the SNL performances.

another funny story, a few weeks ago.. I was in the car with one of my friends and popped in 'POP' into the CD player, first thing before the music came on, he said "bleh, U2 isn't my thing" ... then I forwarded it to MOFO, and he was like, "oooh, maybe it is"

I like that they are confident in their own work if they didnt hype the record I would think something was wrong.

To me this album is a great album and I dont think U2 are marketing to one fanbase at all its always been a very wide spectrum with them, theyve always just had the ability to attract new fans with each release and I am perfectly fine with that.

I'm a University student and my buddies bought the cd too, and I've seen a bunch of people with u2 shirts on and I saw a guy in th library listening on headphones and holding the case to Best of 1980-90!!!

Alot of people like U2, they just don't LOVE them, like me, haha!!

korczykp said:
none of my friends really like U2 too much, although lately they've been getting increasingly impressed... after the SNL performances.

another funny story, a few weeks ago.. I was in the car with one of my friends and popped in 'POP' into the CD player, first thing before the music came on, he said "bleh, U2 isn't my thing" ... then I forwarded it to MOFO, and he was like, "oooh, maybe it is"

:up:

I've been loving U2 since I was a sophomore in high school and I'm a first year college student right now. Saved me from certain musical taste death...at the time of U2 conversion, I was a Backstreet Boys fan. *shudders* Oddly enough, I listened to hard rock stations before the sixth grade and actually knew who Pearl Jam was when the guys talked about them. I consider the BB time period a hiccup in my music taste spectrum. :wink:

I've converted my best friend to U2ism as well!

Back
Top Bottom