How can Republicans (or political conservatives) be U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
Mothers Of The Dissappeared

The people who took their kids away in the night were bankrolled by the U.S government. Specifically the Regan administration.

Being conservative...I still don't really agree w/ everything republicans do. I love that song...I love BTBS...I love U2...I'm not a big fan of this thread though.

------------------
The numeral 7

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I am not so sure that arturod is a "newbie." Seeing the November 2000 registration date reminds me that a med student from Texas came around here and asked this same question once before.

arturod: do you think there should be some type of "screening process," maybe with background checks and issues-litmus tests, before someone can claim to be a U2 fan? Because God knows, we are supposed to look to our favorite musicians, actors, televisions cooks and boxing ring champions for our political views, aren't we?

~U2Alabama

No you shouldn't need a a litmus test, but with U2's very heavy political message (not necessarily in songs, but in the real world) and during concerts, I just find it hard to believe that you could be such die-hard fans.
Just look at some of the New York Post's reviews of the U2 concerts or that article that somone posted the other day entitled "Rock stars should shut up." Is it the music you're into? Or the love songs? The melodies? Maybe you're just not seeing the whole picure of what U2 is really about. It's like Nirvana's song "In bloom":

He's the one who likes all the pretty songs
And he likes to sing along
And he likes to shoot his gun
But he knows not what it means
And I say aahh

I haven't said that we should get our political views from members of the entertainment industry, but that being said, an artist's views (political, social and religious) are reflected in their work. Consequently fans are able to relate to that artist because they have similar beliefs or values and it is those values that should come across through the music.

Me intolerant? Have I attacked conservatives directly in this thread in anway? Have I called any of you any of the
names commonly associate with conservatives? NO, I was just asking a question, that to which many of you have failed to respond.

Here's another question: Conservatives, what are your 3 favorite U2 albums. Just wondering?

BTW, I don't care if you call me a newbie, I've been reading this board for quite a while, but really found it necessary to post, I was on WIRE before a few year ago, but whatever. Oh, and I haven't asked this question before either.

Originally posted by arturod:
No you shouldn't need a a litmus test, but with U2's very heavy political message (not necessarily in songs, but in the real world) and during concerts, I just find it hard to believe that you could be such die-hard fans.

Believe it or not, not everyone takes everything Bono says in the "real world" as gospel.

Trust me, there are more important things out there than a rock band. Those who chart their life course based on a rock band should get a life. I love U2's music and they have interesting and thought-provoking lyrics. I would not agree with them on a lot of things and I have no doubt that that would be just fine with them. End of story.

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
Truly, this was a sorta lame question to ask.

A typically arrogant, uncompassionate response by a conservative.

Anyhow, I see many of my conservative friends here are defending their love of U2 with the whole "Drop the Debt" Campaign, which is so near and dear to Bono's heart. They are invoking such conservative names as John Kasich, Jesse Helms and Orrin Hatch. Quite amusing, actually, to this proud northern liberal. I mean, conservatives are SO uncompassionate that they have to have SOME compassionate leaning issue to hang their hat on for fear of alienating the ENTIRE electorate, therefore it only makes sense that they can get behind "Drop the Debt", a campaign that can make them feel warm and fuzzy inside and not hurt them with their constituents back home. You conservatives make it sound like supporting "Drop the Debt" is just the coolest thing since Reagonomics, but I'm here to tell you that you shouldn't be falling all over yourselves seeking praise.

"Drop the Debt" is a non-partisan, common sense issue that quite frankly if you DON'T support you should be ashamed of yourselves! This is why in my opinion Bono can actually stomach being in the same room with Orrin Hatch and Jesse Helms...because Bono can "sell" this campaign to them as a win-win for them...and Lord knows conservatives can use some help on the "compassion" side of the equation. Bono can look them in the eye and say "You know, Orrin, your support of my pet project will really make you not only feel good on the inside but will make you look good back home, without any risk of alienating your conservative base, because really, Orrin, you don't want people to think you are a bad guy."

From all accounts, Bono is no dummy. He is an astute activist with superior political skills and strong left-wing convictions. It may be "fashionable" for the likes of Helms, Hatch, and Kasich to support Bono on this but who are we all kidding? When it comes down to it, Bono has virtually NOTHING in common with these guys in terms of political ideology, but Bono is obviously a master at bringing people together for a common sense cause that will only help humanity in the end. Yes, my conservative friends, Bono is as skilled a politician as Bill Clinton and Tony Blair!

This is why I don't think any conservative should be defending their love of the band with the Drop the Debt campaingn and the conservative bedfellows Bono has made during it. It may make you all feel better but Bono is still the left-wing liberal he always was. This just happens to be a case of an issue conservatives can embrace because a) they really need to from a p.r. perspective and b)they can than utilize it politically to portray themselves as "compassionate conservatives", which is a cute-little phrase which utilizes some nice alliteration but nevertheless a type of person that doesn't exist on the political right.

Let's face it: Conservatives are lining up to support the liberal Bono on this because they need SOMETHING to grab on to that portrays them as "compassionate." This is the perfect vehicle for that. They can get behind it, say they are doing something worthwhile about the human population, and not hurt themselves politically back home.

As for the original question of this thread, I think music transcends political views...in general. For me, one of the things that drew me to U2 was not only the power of their music but also the bands religious AND liberal political views. Religiously and politically, I have much in common with U2. But I recognize that many people do not and that that is perfectly fine. Whatever attracts one to their music is a personal thing and I am sure is different for every person. I'm just glad that when Bono rants about his political views I'm one of those cheering and not jeering. And I must add that it certainly makes the band and it's music even MORE enjoyable. I, for one, love to hear Bono "preach" about his pet projects and the plight of the less fortunate, something I'm sure those on the political right loathe!

I haven't said that we should get our political views from members of the entertainment industry, but that being said, an artist's views (political, social and religious) are reflected in their work. Consequently fans are able to relate to that artist because they have similar beliefs or values and it is those values that should come across through the music.

An excellent, well said thought, arturod.

OK my young little friend settle down Mr.SomeOneWhoWillBeFoundBlameless..if he decides to hang wit Diamond..

Were not the 'monsters' YOU are attempting to paint us as..nor the transparent oppurtunists..OUR methods are different to solving issuses,that is all- hot-shot..

Orrinn Hatch did some compassionate work w Africa and Aids over the yrs. but Iam sure you dont know about it bcuz the press takes no interest in propping up a conservative..

Mr Someone-I suggest you have Bono edit the current Elevation Tour brochere where he says nice things about the Bush Administration, but that's right according to YOU he's just 'playin' these ppl right?

Kisses-
Diamond
ps-Republicans are ppl too..
------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
If curious click
links for
Bono/Dimon-Bos.4 Story
and Photos..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 11-13-2001).]

I just find it hard to believe that you could be such die-hard fans.

I became a die-hard fan in the mid-80's years before I was old enough or cared about voting or politics. Should my love for the music and for the spiritual message change just because most of my political beliefs differ from the band?

I find it hard to believe that you could still live in Texas considering our Republican president is from here.

------------------
"Even Texas loves New York!" ~ Bono, 11/5/01

Thanks for an incredible day boys! Thanks for the autographs!

VIVA LAS VEGAS!

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Were not the 'monsters' YOU are attempting to paint us as..nor the transparent oppurtunists..OUR methods are different to solving issuses,that is all- hot-shot..

Republicans are ppl too..

OMG, we finally found something to agree upon.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Even Texas loves New York!" ~ Bono, 11/5/01

Thanks for an incredible day boys! Thanks for the autographs!

VIVA LAS VEGAS!

What issues would you say Bono is so liberal about? I am a curious conservative.

Obviously gun control and anti-war,
and I think pro-environment.

but if I grew up in Ireland I think I would feel the same way. Also, even coming from where I do, I think I still favor gun-control. I don't think that makes me liberal. There are conservatives that favor the environment. Now I'm not saying that Bono is conservative, just that I can't see just from his songs and issues that he speaks up about that he is a "flaming liberal".

For example: what would Bono say about abortion?

I think that he would favor such "conservative" measures like faith-based initiatives.

Anything come to mind from anyone out there?

[This message has been edited by Ody (edited 11-13-2001).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom