How brilliant is mercy?!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
what's ironic is that most people's reasoning for liking the song are the same reasons why i dislike it... i think bono's voice sounds week, and i think the lyrics are cheesey

I couldn't care less what you think of the song. ;)

However, I am surprised about your comment regarding Bono's vocals. I feel they are VERY strong on "Mercy" - hence one reason I keep saying it feels like a UF or JT era song to me. I think the vocals on HTDAAB and subsequent tour are the best Bono's sounded since AB, but "Mercy" is even better.

Now, the song is a bit cliche-filled, but he's done that before. And the music has a lot of ambience - but this is again reminiscent of the UF/JT era. So there's a part of me that likes for that.

The song should be fine-tuned and there's a reason U2 left it off the album and didn't officially release it. But it is a fun track to have. I appreciate it for what it is - an unreleased U2 song.

As for GibsonGirls' rather harsh comments and sudden reversal about both U2 and the song, well, sorry to see you feel this way. Not sure what made you feel this way, but I will say this - there are times I've loved new U2 - then grown to hate it - then gave myself a break and learned to love it even more! So perhaps you just need a break from U2. It does wonders.

joerags said:

BOBD is better than any U2 song. Green Day is more popular, has more hits and is played a lot more on radio and TRL

Dookie is one of the best albums of all-time, way better than any U2 album.

Face it, U2 are the most overrated band in the history of rock. The only reason they are successful is because of their manager, Paul McGuinness, who is the most powerful man in the music industry. How the fuck does U2 win all of those Grammy awards? Because of Paul McGuinness' clout. You fucking mean to tell me U2 deserve to win all those awards, when their album does so poorly and they have no hit songs at all (No, Vertigo and Beautiful Day are not hits because they never even sniffed the top 10 on the Billboard chart).

Everybody in the music business, i.e. the pop, hip hop artists, knows that U2 aren't that great, have never been popular and have no talent whatsoever. I mean, Bono is the worst singer ever. His voice cracks all the time and it's irritating. Even Bono knows he can't sing, but he's got soul, the goal is elevation, a mole, diggin in a hole, digging up my soul, now, going down, excavaction.

WHAT THE FUCK.

God, even Bono's lyrics are so fucking shitty.

Have you ever listened to the Unforgettable Fire album. It is perhaps the most terrible album in the history of recording. Elvis Presley and America is by far the worst ever song. What the hell does that song mean. What about Staring at the Sun? Waves that leave me outta reach, breaking on your back like a beach.

WHAT THE FUCK.

Does a U2 song make any sense at all?

:|

YOUR FACE IS CUTE!

xaviMF22 said:

applause_crowd.gif

:laugh:

xaviMF22 has way too many images saved his computer.

joerags said:

[reams of sillyness cut out to conserve space]

Who pissed on your battery? Let me just clarify a few things for you. I don't like Green Day. I think MTV is the worst thing to happen to the music industry since disco. There are U2 albums that I love, and there are U2 albums that I hate. It's called personal taste. I think some of Bono's lyrical output from 2000 and onwards has been nothing short of embarrassing, and I'm allowed to feel that way. People fall in and out of love with bands all the time.

I don't even know why I bother with this place anymore. The ratio of rational people to generalising idiots dwindles further each day.

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:
That guitar part at the 5:15 mark is one of the greatest things I've ever heard in a U2 song!

Love is justice, a charity
Love brings with it a clarity
Love has come again
I'm alive again

The song is bursting at it's seams with a feel-good energy that I haven't seen since Beautiful Day! It's like they've been born again!

You nailed it for me Zoots. :up: I actually prefer it to BD.

xaviMF22 said:

Hee, that was great, xavi! :lol: Made me laugh, but in a good way. Not in the point-and-laugh-at-the-dullard kind of way. We can always count on you to save a thread. :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:

OMGZ, LIAR!!!

What about ABBA??????? :sad:

Well, they're an exception. :wink: Some ABBA was really really bad, but some of their songs were great. I don't care what anyone says.

GibsonGirl said:

Well, they're an exception. :wink: Some ABBA was really really bad, but some of their songs were great. I don't care what anyone says.

:sad:

And the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack? Los Beegees?

Steph, we're over.

PlaTheGreat said:

:sad:

And the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack? Los Beegees?

Steph, we're over.

Stayin' Alive makes me want to remove my eustachian tubes. With a fork. :(

dizzy said:
Chiquitita was nice. :(

I love Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :reject: That synth line has to be one of the catchiest synth lines ever written. I also love how this thread has gone from Mercy to disco.

GibsonGirl said:

I don't even know why I bother with this place anymore. The ratio of generalising idiots to rational people dwindles further each day.

You're one of the best things about Interference. And, I, for one, love debating and discussing music...it would be absolutely boring here if it were just a love-fest of people agreeing with each other allll the time.

Air Supply :no:

And another thing..

Why is The Edge so insecure about his bald head? Do you know anybody who always wears a hat or a beanie? Maybe he thinks that being bald, on top of having a big nose and a skinny face, will be enough to scare people from ever liking the band.

Face it, The Edge is insecure. I don't blame him. He's an ugly guy. The only reason he is married is because he has money. If he were an ordinary schmoo, no girls would like him at all.

I am on a roll.

Yes I would.

The only thing I've been doing is leaving Pink Floyd running while I go to work and school. I've never even heard of Roger Water. David who?
Pink what?

joerags said:
And another thing..

Why is The Edge so insecure about his bald head? Do you know anybody who always wears a hat or a beanie? Maybe he thinks that being bald, on top of having a big nose and a skinny face, will be enough to scare people from ever liking the band.

Face it, The Edge is insecure. I don't blame him. He's an ugly guy. The only reason he is married is because he has money. If he were an ordinary schmoo, no girls would like him at all.

I am on a roll.

d6b_imprladies.jpg

joerags said:
And another thing..

I am on a roll.

The Edge doesn't have a skull large enough to cover his brain. The beanie is to keep in all the contents.

HELLO!

angelordevil said:

You're one of the best things about Interference. And, I, for one, love debating and discussing music...it would be absolutely boring here if it were just a love-fest of people agreeing with each other allll the time.

Air Supply :no:

Heh, thanks AOD. I don't know if many people around here would agree with the first bit ( :lol: ) but I definitely agree with the second bit. It's sad when people just can't accept that different people have different musical tastes that change as certain aspects of their lives change. People can have many reasons for disliking elements of a band they once worshipped, and not all of them are related to the music or even the band members themselves.

GibsonGirl said:

I love Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! :reject: That synth line has to be one of the catchiest synth lines ever written. I also love how this thread has gone from Mercy to disco.

:madspit:

The Spanish version was better.

Dame! Dame! Dame! Can't remember what's after that.

GibsonGirl said:

It's sad when people just can't accept that different people have different musical tastes that change as certain aspects of their lives change.

Interesting how the last song you listened to was Tears For Fears' Change. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom