How Bad is the "O Brother..." Soundtrack? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2002, 09:40 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Thank you, joyfulgirl!

'xcuse me, while I go pluck my banjo and hunt wild boar, at night, with a cross bow...

~U2Alabama

Old 04-20-2002, 10:47 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Hmmm...I don't think this is true at all. It may be true for what I call pop-country artists like Shania Twain, but look at Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Emmylou Harris, Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen Jr., T-Bone Burnett, Nanci Griffith, Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Iris Dement, Guy Clark, Duane Jarvis, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Joe Ely, Rodney Crowell, Julie Miller, Dave Alvin and of course Gillian Welch...I mean, songwriting is what these people *do*. It's a huge genre of progressive/alternative/rockabilly country music *known* for songwriting.

This forced sound you mention I think isn't forced at all to my ear. It's exactly how that particular genre of roots music has always been performed by unknown people and their neighbors sitting in their living rooms or front porches. As truecolorsfly said, it's a different language, and it's just not pleasing to everyone's ears, but I really think O Brother captured it authentically and that's why it has become such a 'cult' hit, if you will. It does indeed evoke a different time and place, and it's just not going to be a time and place that a lot of people are interested in.

Actually, my colleague, who is a HUGE country music fan, also states that most country artists do not write their own music. And I'm sure if we really examined the catalogs of the artists you mentioned, we'd find that to be true to some extent.

Also, having listened to some 30's and 40's music of various genres, I NEVER came across the feeling of it being forced. Rather it flowed because it was who they were. I do not feel the artists on the "O Brother..." album captured this period at all. They sound way out of time with this music - as if they are trying to put a modern face on a classic time.

Lastly, I do enjoy this era of history. I would very much so enjoy listening to a remake of this era - IF I felt the music brought me back to that time and place. However, when I listen to "O Brother..." I am not returned to that era.

Therefore, at present, I cannot agree with any of your counter claims. Nonetheless, I will give the album another chance.

Old 04-21-2002, 02:05 AM   #43
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:

If this is so true, then it stands the album (or songs from the album) should have been nominated for an Academy Award as best movie soundtrack.

However, to win the Grammy Album of the Year, the album should be brilliant on its own - no movie required. In other words, I find this comment a weakness, not a strength.

Well REM's music video of "Everybody Hurts" made me appreciate or like the song itself more than I did just from listening to the album track. I mean don't music videos essentially try to do that as well as be a marketing tool? Do I believe the album could stand on its own. Sure, but it helps some people to have a visual aid and it did make some of the songs so much better.

"Down to the River to Pray" is one of my favorite songs on the album but the scene with all those "Baptists" walking through the woods, to the water, all dressed in white made it even that much more for me b/c of the imagery.

I was just thinking of ways for people to enjoy the music more. doctorwho... you were talking about flow and I was thinking maybe watching the movie would help with the "flow" issue... if you haven't watched the movie.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Old 04-21-2002, 12:52 PM   #44
Refugee

Location: Belmont Shore, CA (I prefer flying a kite at the beach, really.)
Local Time: 05:28 AM
When it comes to movie soundtracks, I own a helluva lot of them.

That said, when I watch a movie, sometimes the music moves me enough to want the soundtrack. The music from "O Brother" was moving enough for me to buy it. I enjoyed the 1930s-ish music. I wish my grandparents were alive to at least hear a few of the songs.

As for the album winning over U2... let's just say that I'm glad it was "O Brother" and not any other album up against U2 because of the connections U2 has with T-Bone. Yes, it made me mad that the soundtrack won, but I couldn't help but feel a bit of relief that it wasn't one of the other nominees.

and, doctorwho... when it comes to movie soundtracks, most people are exposed to the music through the movie first, not the other way around. I own many a soundtrack because of this (Glory, all 3 Indiana Jones movies, Braveheart, etc). I believe "O Brother..." can stand on its own without the movie - it just so happens that the majority of the songs were exposed to the public through the movie itself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Just my .U2 cents.

Moonie
Old 04-21-2002, 03:41 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
Actually, my colleague, who is a HUGE country music fan, also states that most country artists do not write their own music. And I'm sure if we really examined the catalogs of the artists you mentioned, we'd find that to be true to some extent.

Therefore, at present, I cannot agree with any of your counter claims. Nonetheless, I will give the album another chance.

I guess it depends on what kind of country music you listen to...country music is as varied as rock/pop, so to make a statement that most country artists don't write their own songs is like saying most rock/pop artists don't write their own songs when really it's the mainstream commercial folks who generally don't write their own music. I do have multiple records by all of the artists I mentioned and the vast majority of their work is their own--as I said, songwriting is what they're all about. They may cover one song on a record, though usually not, but that's about it.

Anyway, if you don't like O Brother, you just don't and we will just have to agree to disagree.

I'm a-gonna go help Bama bring that wild boar outta the woods, now...
Old 04-21-2002, 03:49 PM   #46
you are what you is

Local Time: 02:28 PM
shouldn't you stay home, wait for Bama to catch that wild boar and then prepare it as dinner for him?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-21-2002).]
Old 04-21-2002, 05:25 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome:
shouldn't you stay home, wait for Bama to catch that wild boar and then prepare it as dinner for him?

Agrees... how much help can a barefoot, pregnant woman who only knows the kitchen be?

(And for those who don't get it, Salome and I were mocking Bama and JoyfulGirl's comments about being a hillbilly. It was a jokey joke. )
Old 04-22-2002, 06:23 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome:

Nope, I'm a liberated hillbilly gal.
*spits a wad of tobaccy in an ol' pork n' beans can*
Old 04-23-2002, 07:39 PM   #49
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
It may be true for what I call pop-country artists like Shania Twain
i may be misreading what you said, but if what you're saying is that shania doesn't write her own stuff, she does. on her past two albums (or has she released anything else since come on over?) she at least co-wrote every song with her husband, i believe. although, i don't know how much of the stuff she writes so for all i know she may add like a bridge to every song or something.
but yeah, all the other ones write none of their own songs. people who don't write their own stuff pisses me off. there are some greats like whitney houston who don't, but in general it makes me mad.