How Amazing Would This Be...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
October 01st London, England The O2
OCtober 03rd London, England The O2
October 04th London, England The O2
October 07th London, England The O2
OCtober 08th London, England The O2
OCtober 11th New York, NY Madison Square Garden
OCtober 12th New York, NY Madison Square Garden
October 18th Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center
October 19th Los Angeles, CA STAPLES Center
October 24th London, England The O2
October 25th London, England The O2
October 27th London, England The O2
October 28th London, England The O2

November 01st Paris, France Bercy
November 02nd Paris, France Bercy
November 05th Hamburg, Germany Color Line Arena
November 06th Hamburg, Germany Color Line Arena
November 10th London, England The O2
November 11th London, England The O2
November 14th London, England The O2
November 15th London, England The O2
November 17th London, England The O2
November 18th London, England The O2

December 13th Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden
December 14th Boston, MA TD Banknorth Garden
December 17th Chicago, IL United Center
December 18th Chicago, IL United Center
December 23rd Dublin, Ireland The Point Theatre
December 24th Dublin, Ireland The Point Theatre
December 26th Dublin, Ireland The Point Theatre
December 27th Dublin, Ireland The Point Theatre
December 30th London, England The O2
December 31st London, England The O2

Now we know that isn't gonna happen, but how cool would that be? I'd see the two NY and BOS shows. Anyone else have any good tour ideas?

nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooo, they have to be in London for October 19th, it's my birthdayyyyyy

Well, with U2 maybe doing a ton of O2 shows, they scheduled a BIG tour around the world in 2009 (as usual the four year wait deal) and just do london and other major U2 markets in the fall.

SMB

Honestly, it would be pretty UNamazing, considering you've only got 4 US cities. I know a lot of people think the US gets too many shows, but come on.

But, they'd do a HUDGE tour in 2009 in NA/Europe/NA... this would be like a pre-tour with the O2 shows as disccueed... And the in 2009, along with major markets... do places they havent been in a while like Nashville, Jacksonville, San Antonio, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Quebec City, Cincinnati maybe

SMB

You didn't make that clear earlier. So, you mean a pre-tour.

Yes, I think that's at least an interesting pre-tour, though it wouldn't happen and there are flaws in it.

Opening act: Matchbox Twenty

Where my job includes working for bands and tours, I timed the shows so city to city works, and I picked major markets for shows, and then in 2009 I'd see a mix of arena's / stadiums, like back in the Joshua Tree Tour.

SMB

I just think it's sort of pointless to do a pre-tour that's just like a regular tour. That right there is a whole leg's worth of shows, in a grand total of eight cities.

Well, if they do a couple dozen London shows, they'd probably pop over to at least NYC is what I'm getting at

SMB

phillyfan26 said:
Yes, I think that's at least an interesting pre-tour, though it wouldn't happen and there are flaws in it.

Yeah, such as the fact that I can't imagine any situation where a U2 promotional tour would have such an emphasis on the UK - 17 shows, roughly 391,000 tickets for one overhyped London venue?! No way. While the UK will remain a major territory for U2, I can't ever see them getting involved in such a major promotional blitz here. Why would they ever need to play so many shows in such a short space of time?

It seems to be common knowledge that two major acts have booked residencies for the O2 Arena later this year, but who? While U2 have been mentioned, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston are also named in some magazine articles in the UK. Make of that what you will.

What about likely venues for the next tour - will the band stick to the Vertigo pattern (indoors in the US, stadiums pretty much everywhere else), or mix things up a little?

Btw, Paul McGuinness is quoted all over the net as saying the following about the O2 Arena - ""It's got great potential for U2 and because it's undercover you can do a run of shows in the autumn." Did he really say this, and if he did, why should 'a run of shows' have to mean 17-21 concerts?

Last edited:
Morgoth321 said:
What about likely venues for the next tour - will the band stick to the Vertigo pattern (indoors in the US, stadiums pretty much everywhere else), or mix things up a little?

question: if they did mix things up and play a series of stadium shows, what areas do you think will get this treatment...and more specifically, what stadiums would be best for U2?

Rob33 said:

question: if they did mix things up and play a series of stadium shows, what areas do you think will get this treatment...and more specifically, what stadiums would be best for U2?

Since I'm based in N Ireland, I'm used to U2 playing outdoors, specifically stadiums. I'd love to see them in Croke Park again, but part of me would like to see them indoors even more (The Point, maybe the Odyssey Arena in Belfast). That's what my post was referring to - whether or not U2 could play indoor venues outside of the US again on a regular basis.

The question of U2 playing in US stadiums again isn't one I can answer - it's obvious from this forum that the topic splits fans right down the middle. If they did go down this route again, then it could make for interesting US tours though - maybe one leg indoors, one outdoors, at different times (maybe even different calendar years)?

STADIUMS:
Jacksonville - Municipal Stadium
Foxboro -- Gillette Stadium
East Rutherford -- Giants Stadium
Chicago -- Soldier Field
Los Angeles -- Coliseum
San Francisco -- Monster Park
Seattle -- Qwest Field
San Antonio -- Alamodome
Nashville -- LP Field
Edmonton -- Commonwealth Stadium
Toronto -- Rogers Centre

ARENAS
Madison Square Garden
Wachovia Center
New Orleans Arena
St. Pete Times Forum
Amway Arena
Honda Center
General Motors Place
MTS Centre
Xcel Energy Center
Sprint Center
Toyota Center
FedExForum
Bell Centre

SMB

OK -- Done some thinking for 2009 first US leg. In the fall, Uniondale, NY and Madison Square Garden as well ast the TD Banknorth Garde and Rogers Centre would be tacked on to some repeats as well as Minneapolis and Denver. What do you think? I'm bored today...

April 10th Jacksonville, FL Municipal Stadium
April 12th Orlando, FL Amway Arena
April 13th Tampa, FL St. Pete Times Forum
April 15th New Orleans, LA New Orleans Arena
April 16th Houston, TX Toyota Center
April 18th San Antonio, TX Alamodome
April 20th Oklahome City, OK Ford Center
April 22nd Nashville, TN Sommet Center
April 23rd St. Louis, MO Scottrade Center
April 25th Chicago, IL Soldier Field
April 26th Chicago, IL Soldier Field

May 01st Montreal, Canada Bell Centre
May 02nd Montreal, Canada Bell Centre
May 05th East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium
May 07th East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium
May 09th East Rutherford, NJ Giants Stadium
May 12th Philadelphia, PA Wachovia Center
May 13th Washington, DC Verizon Center
May 15th Pittsburgh, PA Mellon Arena
May 18th Foxboro, MA Gillette Stadium
May 19th Foxboro, MA Gillette Stadium

June 05th Edmonton, Canada Commonwealth Stadium
June 06th Edmonton, Canada Commonwealth Stadium
June 08th Vancouver, Canada General Motors Place
June 09th Vancouver, Canada General Motors Place
June 11th Seattle, WA Qwest Field
June 14th Las Vegas, NV Orleans Arena
June 15th Las Vegas, NV Orleans Arena
June 17th Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center
Juen 18th Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center
June 20th San Francisco, CA Monster Park
June 22nd Anaheim, CA Honda Center
June 23rd San Diego, Ca iPayOne Center
June 25th Los Angeles, CA L.A. Memorial Coliseum
June 26th Los Angeles, CA L.A. Memorial Colisem

SMB

I approve of your second list. Seattle and two Vancouver shows? Three shows for me! :wink:

Oh, and Matchbox 20?

DO NOT WANT!!!!!

One show in Philly? Only in an arena?

I think you should at least do one show at the Linc in Philly.

The stadium? Maybe.. But there is a show in DC and THREE Giants Stadiums shows in Jersey. MSG only got one show on the first leg of the V tour. WACHOVIA could get some shows in the fall perhaps

SMB

Shawn Bonneau said:
But, they'd do a HUDGE tour in 2009 in NA/Europe/NA... this would be like a pre-tour with the O2 shows as disccueed... And the in 2009, along with major markets... do places they havent been in a while like Nashville, Jacksonville, San Antonio, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Quebec City, Cincinnati maybe

SMB

Cincinnati!

We've lost some great shows due to our fear of general floor admission. Back in '80, a poorly organized Who concert resulted in a few deaths by folks getting stampeded as the doors opened.

Springsteen broke the phobia a few years back and has done fine with it.

I'd love to see U2 in my hometown. Traveling, hotels - stuff gets expensive.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
:huh:

Matchbox Twenty?

London 17 times?

London to NY to LA to London...

Sorry, but horrible ideas...

Let me second all of this.

As well as this

Originally posted by corianderstem
Oh, and Matchbox 20?
DO NOT WANT!!!!!

Plus, I highly doubt the band will mix stadiums and arenas on the same leg. That would be a logistical nightmare for the crew, unless they plan on hiring two productions managers and two stage managers, and that's just silly.

Back
Top Bottom