Hot Press Awards Updates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*Ally*

New Yorker
well, edge didn't win the best musician award, it went to one of the corrs sisters. larry presented it to her.

i think bono just won best singer...

smile.gif

Damn I wish I could be seeing this!

thanks for the update Ally!

Is it streaming video? I wonder if someone out there will record it into a ram file so we can watch it later!

Dvd for slane?! This is like.. confirmed now! *jumps up and down*

------------------
Listen over sounds of blades in rotation

*U2TakeMeHigher*

yeah, unfortunately they're not showing the actual awards ceremony. just a bunch of reeeally boring people talking about irish music.... but you can hear the awards in the background! and on the hot press website they're listing all the winners.

i wish i could see this awards show- well, at least hopefully we'll get some new photos tomorrow!
smile.gif

btw, U2 lost to ash for best single.

Ah ok, thanks Ally! I wish they'd let us watch the actual show though.
biggrin.gif

Dude I can hear Walk On playing in the background!

Complete tally for everyone from www.hotpress.com/awards:

Best Irish Album: "Free All Angels" - Ash
... presented to the band by Sharon Corr

Phil Lynott Newcomer Award: The Revs

Live Performance in Ireland by an Irish Artist: U2 - for Slane 2001.
While accepting the award, Edge promised "... that the DVD will be out before Christmas!!!!", Larry thanked everyone for travelling TO the show, While Bono gave praise to the one and only Barry McGuigan who presented them with the award

Live Performance in Ireland by an International Artist: Radiohead in the Odyssey, Belfast.
When presented the award by Bono, Colin commented what a privilege it was to get the award from a band who'd they'd seen in Milton Keynes back in 1985!

Roots: Cara Dillon
Presented to Cara by Clannad's Maire Brennan.

The Hot Press Irish Music Industry Awards: John Hughes
Presented to John by Jim Corr
Given in recognition of the phenomenal success of The Corrs, both in Ireland and internationally. "John was more then just a manager.... so thank you from Caroline, Andrea, Sharon & me" - Jim Corr.

Rory Gallagher Musician Award Caroline Corr
presented to Caroline by another member of the Drummers union Larry Mullen.

IMRO Emerging Songwriter David Kitt
presented by Chairman of IMRO Michael Hanrarhan.

Dance Award Phil Kieran
local boy Phil K cleans up as Ireland's best dance act.

Songwriter Neil Hannon
After a turbulent year, Neil's continued excellance is rewarded!

Female Singer Gemma Hayes

Gemma Hayes is actually on the radio in France tonight!!! Martin Byrne picked up the award on her behalf!!

Male Singer: Bono
It isn't his first Hot Press Irish Music Award, and it won't be the last.

Single: "Burn Baby Burn" by Ash
Their second award of the night.

Pop: The Corrs
A genuinely shocked Andrea thanked Hot Press, John Hughes and "Daddy", receiving the award from Anna Nolan.

Outstanding Contribution to Popular Culture David Holmes
Belfast's legendary "Homer" gets the award not just for his 3 stunning albums, his eclectic djing and his stunning remixes. But also for his incredible scoring of the movie Ocean's 11 and for being the guy NEVER afraid to take a chance

Band: U2 - fittingly, following their triumphant tour, U2 again won best Irish Band.

So, that's the awards wrapped up - other incredible highlights of the night included Sude's return to the spotlight, David Kitt playing Prince's "When Doves

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

ok, in case you're not watching the webcast, Ash just won best Irish album.
smile.gif
(U2 wasn't nominated, so it's OK. lol!)

here's what U2 is nominated for:

Band:
Ash
U2
The Frames
The Corrs

Single:
Ash ? 'Shining Light'
U2 ? 'Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of'
David Kitt ? 'You Know What I Want To Know'
The Frames ? 'Lay Me Down'

Songwriter:
Bono
Neil Hannon
David Kitt
Christy Moore

Rory Gallagher Musician Award:
Caroline Corr
The Edge
Glen Hansard
Declan Sinnott

Live Gig By An Irish Act:
Ash at Witnness festival
Paul Brady at Vicar St., Dublin
U2 at Slane
Divine Comedy at the Mandela Hall, Belfast

While accepting the award, Edge promised "... that the DVD will be out before Christmas!!!!", Larry thanked everyone for travelling TO the show, While Bono gave praise to the one and only Barry McGuigan who presented them with the awrad

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

While accepting the award, Edge promised "... that the DVD will be out before Christmas!!!!", Larry thanked everyone for travelling TO the show, While Bono gave praise to the one and only Barry McGuigan who presented them with the awrad

oops, thanks for posting it HelloAngel!!
smile.gif

i wonder if edge was being serious about the Slane DVD??? that would be awesome!!!
biggrin.gif

news_260402_awards.jpg

U2 Were in Belfast Last Night to Receive Three Hot Press Awards.

This time the band won Best Band and Best Live Act at the annual Hot Press Irish Music Awards, while Bono was voted Best Male Singer.

Dundalk group the Corrs also had a successful evening picking up the Best Pop Act, while drummer Caroline was presented with the Rory Gallagher Musician Award.

Taking place at the BBC's Blackstaff studios in Belfast, Downpatrick band Ash opened the evening with a rousing rendition of their hit single Burn Baby Burn and were also invited up to the podium to collect awards for best album for Free All Angels and best single with Shining Light.

DJ David Holmes received the Special Contribution to Music Culture Award while Westlife took the Outstanding Achievement in Popular Music Award.

Radiohead bagged the top Live Gig by an International Act for their performance at Belfast's Odyssey.

U2's shows at Slane Castle last summer won the award for the 'Best Live Gig In Ireland by an Irish Act'. And as Hot Press reports, 'This was always going to be a special gig for "The Biggest Band in the World" - a homecoming of sorts given that they had made their first appearance at Slane Castle supporting Thin Lizzy twenty years previously. Then, in the week leading up to the gig, the band were rocked by news of the death of Bono's father, lending even greater significance to the occaision. Peaking with an emotional version of "Kite" dedicated to Bob Hewson, Slane 2001 will always be remembered not merely as a concert, but also as an extra special day that will live long with those who witnessed it.

The Irish Music Awards will be broadcast on BBC One Northern Ireland tonight (Friday 26 April) at 2235 BST and on BBC Choice at 1900BST on Sunday.

Yea!!!

------------------
Pink elephants and lemonade.
Dear Jessie, hear the laughter running through the love parade.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers: Emily's Wallpapers

Back
Top Bottom