Hot off the press......... U2 News !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SicilianGoddess

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
From u2news.com:

NEW U2 BEST OF AND SINGLE INFO
March 20, 2002

U2 "Best Of 1990-2000" is to be released in autumn 2002.

There will be a new U2 single before the album release.

There will be a second new U2 single in early 2003.

The "Best Of 1990-2000" will be released as a limited edition double CD set as well as a standard 1-CD edition.

Tracklistings are not known.

YAYAYYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info Elvis.

I cant wait !!!

biggrin.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Hurray! I'm so happy there will be SOMETHING new this year!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the info!

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Official link:

http://www.u2news.com/article-2002.03.20-u2.html

Something worth noting: It'll be 1990-2000, instead of 1991-2001, as previously suspected.

That means that they don't HAVE to include songs from ATYCLB; they could wait until releasing an Interscope-backed Best Of 2000-2010.

Generally, I think keeping ATYCLB out of the Best Of 00-10 is a good idea:

* The album doesn't fit with the rest of the decade (AB, Zoo, "HMTMKMKM", Passengers, POP), and was considered the beginning of a new era for U2 (the band saying it felt like a debut release).

* In the U.S., the album was released by Interscope rather than Island.

* You'd almost HAVE to include the four Grammy-winning singles, meaning fewer songs for the other albums.

* AND releasing a Best Of with ATYCLB songs this soon will probably seriously cut into the final sales figures for the album; if McGuinness wants this disc to beat The Joshua Tree, it should keep the "big" songs exclusive to the album.

Otherwise... cool announcement.
smile.gif

A very wise move...I'm curious if ATYCLB material will be included. I'm assuming yes, but only the 4 singles, probably in different or edited versions, save for Beautiful Day. It would also not suprise me if "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" is released as a single since it is relatively unknown to the masses, especially in the US. I think they will just put out the most accessible singles from the 90's on it, because I don't think they can fit them all on there if it is a single disc & B-sides like the 1st Best of. Here's my guess at a track list...

1-Elevation-Tomb Raider Version
2-Even Better...
3-Hold Me Thrill Me...
4-The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5-Staring At The Sun
6-Beautiful Day
7-NEW SONG
8-The Fly
9-Last Night On Earth-Single Version
10-Until The End Of The World
11-Stuck In A Moment-Single Edit
12-Discotheque
13-Mysterious Ways
14-Please-Single Version
15-Walk On
16-One

It's tough...Instead of The Fly & Discotheque, maybe Wild Horses & If God Sends possibly? What do you all think?

Sooo is the new song likely to be a B-side remake like Sweetest Thing?

Or something completely new but more in the style of their 90's stuff?

Should be interesting.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1021:
A very wise move...I'm curious if ATYCLB material will be included. I'm assuming yes, but only the 4 singles, probably in different or edited versions, save for Beautiful Day. It would also not suprise me if "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" is released as a single since it is relatively unknown to the masses, especially in the US. I think they will just put out the most accessible singles from the 90's on it, because I don't think they can fit them all on there if it is a single disc & B-sides like the 1st Best of. Here's my guess at a track list...

1-Elevation-Tomb Raider Version
2-Even Better...
3-Hold Me Thrill Me...
4-The Ground Beneath Her Feet
5-Staring At The Sun
6-Beautiful Day
7-NEW SONG
8-The Fly
9-Last Night On Earth-Single Version
10-Until The End Of The World
11-Stuck In A Moment-Single Edit
12-Discotheque
13-Mysterious Ways
14-Please-Single Version
15-Walk On
16-One

It's tough...Instead of The Fly & Discotheque, maybe Wild Horses & If God Sends possibly? What do you all think?

Hopefully Gone?

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
Sooo is the new song likely to be a B-side remake like Sweetest Thing?

Or something completely new but more in the style of their 90's stuff?

Should be interesting.

Also, is one of those two "new singles" A man's a man from the Gangs of New York soundtrack?
Or are we talking a possible additional ATYCLB single?

That's good news indeed!!! WOO HOO...

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 03-20-2002).]

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Something worth noting: It'll be 1990-2000, instead of 1991-2001, as previously suspected.

That means that they don't HAVE to include songs from ATYCLB;

Uhm... ATYCLB was released in 2000, so how does that make you think they won't include tunes from that album on a best of? It's not a greatest hits album so they don't have to be singles. Simply what U2 believe are their best from that era, and you can count on it that they'll pick a few tunes from that album.

They will not put tunes from ATYCLB on it because they are still promoting ATYCLB. There is going to be a 3rd volume one day and that will have ATYCLB on it I believe. But certainly not this one. That would not make any sense from a business perspective. I actually will not believe this until I hear it for U2.com. I prefer a new album then to a bunch of songs I already have.

Originally posted by STING2:
They will not put tunes from ATYCLB on it because they are still promoting ATYCLB

So, yeah, they are gonna release a best of based on three albums? Riiiight, makes sense.
rolleyes.gif

Speculation, schmeculation... I am quite happy to have a best of... of songs I already have thank-you very much.

I bet they'll remake a song of theirs from the 1990-2000 period, just like they did with The Sweetest Thing. Whatever it is it'll be something good.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

This is great news, regardless of how it has been interpreted here.

My thoughts;

Best of 1980-1990 WAS a greatest hits package with the exception of Bad, the ONLY non-single to be included (on the A-side). Following this logic, I believe only one or two non-single songs will make this new Best of package. My guess, Until the End of the World and/or Gone.

The new Best of package will include not one but TWO new songs to be released as singles. That is new two songs that take up two spaces on a 14-15 track album. So, are some of you people trying to tell me that 4 ATYCLB tracks coupled with 2 new tracks are going to fill 6 spaces on a Best of 1990-2000 package? You're telling me that nearly half the album will cover the 2000ish era. I didn't realise that this site had used car salespeople. So what are the next 8-9 songs going to be? Considering 4-5 of those spots are going to be reserved for Achtung Baby songs alone, you leave very little room to recognize Zooropa, Pop, Night and Day, Hold Me...,Passengers.

The next Best of package will do just fine without ATYCLB songs. Consider the songs being "interviewed" (so to speak
wink.gif
) for 14-15 spaces;

1- new song
2- new song
3- Even Better than the Real Thing.
4- One
5- Until the End of the world
6- Who's Gonna Ride... (Temple Bar remix)
7- Mysterious Ways
8- The Fly
9- Night and Day
10- Numb
11- Lemon
12- Stay
13- Hold Me, Thrill Me...
14- Discotheque
15- Staring at the Sun
16- Last Night on Earth
17- Mofo
18- If God Will Send His Angels
19- Gone
20- Please (single mix)
21- Miss Sarajevo

As you now can see, there are already enough songs that will be axed off the Best of 1990-2000 package. Adding 4 ATYCLB songs to this package threatens to make this album disregard some tremendous work done this past decade. It is already hard enough cutting 6 song from the list I made. ATYCLB is for the Best of 2000-2010 package.

------------------
"Pull the trigger on a rock n' roll ****** bigger than Jesus on a bumper sticker!" -Bono, Bullet the Blue Sky.

Although reports are sketchy, it appears that "In A Little While" is the next single from ATYCLB. So with Promotion still going for ATYCLB, I don't see them pulling four songs off of the album to be on a best of at the end of the years. Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby sold about half of their albums after the first two years of release. Seeing that trend, I do not think they want to hurt ATYCLB chances for solid catalog sales over a few years.
ZOOROPA and POP have had very little sales have the initial promotion year so it makes since to have songs from those albums on it. Its been over 10 years since Achtung Baby was released and its catalog sales have slowed a lot, although its sales an average of 2,000 copies a week in the USA still. ATYCLB is red hot while sales of the 90s material has cooled and in some cases is on Ice. So I think will only see 90s stuff along with some stuff from the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack, 2 songs. I say they will go with 14 songs like the first best of.
My guess is:
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than The Real Thing
New Song
Numb
Lemon
Stay
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Please
The Ground Beneath Her Feet
New Song

The limited Edition 2nd disc will have probably half original B-sides and half covers.

Originally posted by STING2:
Although reports are sketchy, it appears that "In A Little While" is the next single from ATYCLB. So with Promotion still going for ATYCLB, I don't see them pulling four songs off of the album to be on a best of at the end of the years.

Hmmmmm... I'd be very surprised if they released another single from ATYCLB, but I like to be surprised
biggrin.gif
so I hope this turns out to be true. That would be very nice indeed!

These lists intrigue me
smile.gif
Some of the songs seem a bit too obscure. It will be very interesting to see what they consider "Best" in that time period. I still think they will be marketing to newer fans and therefore there will be fewer Pop songs, and that ATYCLB will be included, but then what do I know? If they are still releasing singles from ATYCLB, then I think STING2 is right and they will wait on it.

I guess I will try to predict the 'best of' track listing and due date:

1 The Fly
2 Even Better Than the Real Thing
3 Staring @ the Sun
4 Stay (Farway, So Close)
5 One
6 Please (single version)
7 Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses'(single)
8 NEW SONG
9 Numb
10 Discotheque
11 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
12 Until the End of The World
13 Last Night on Earth
14 Mysterious Ways
15 Miss Sarejevo
Gone (live from __________)

And the release date will be tuesday, October 1st
cool.gif

------------------
Throw me to the wolves because there's order in the pack..

Throw me to the SKY because I know I'm coming back?
~RHCP~

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Official link:

http://www.u2news.com/article-2002.03.20-u2.html

That means that they don't HAVE to include songs from ATYCLB; they could wait until releasing an Interscope-backed Best Of 2000-2010.

But Bubba... ATYCLB *was* released in 2000. Therefore, this second Best Of could very well include ATYCLB songs, if it really encompasses 1990-2000. It may also include "Night and Day" (the only song U2 released in 1990).

I really think putting ATYCLB material on there would be a mistake - all the songs would stand out like sore thumbs. Acthung Baby, Zooropa, Passengers + Pop + HMTMKMKM - there's roughly 50 excellent songs there, I don't think they're going to find it hard to come up with enough songs worthy of Best of. I know this on't happen, but I think it would be wicked if they put the live versions of some of the tracks on, especially with Pop, because Loads of those songs came to live on the stage.

Here's my speculative list in no particular order:

1. Until the End of the World (Personally, I wouldn't put that one on, but considering they played it at more or less every gig they've done since they wrote it, i can't picture it being left on. Then again, Bullet the Blue Sky was left off 1980-1990...)
2. One
3. Love is BLindness (Live from Sydney)
4. The Fly
5. Stay (DVD acoustic version)
6. Lemon
7. Zooropa
8. United Colours
9. HMTMKMKM (live from Mexico City)
10. Discotheque
11. Mofo (Live from Mexico city)
12. Gone (Live from Boston)
13. Please (live from Mexico city)
14. New Song (personally, I'm hoping for a reworked Babyface or Staring at the Sun)

Bonus Track - The First Time/Always Forever now

And if they could fit the live version of north and South of the River, that would just make my day.

I'm not sure if they could include Passengers material, because technically its not U2.

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Originally posted by NShaik:
I'm not sure if they could include Passengers material, because technically its not U2.

I doubt they'll put any Passengers material on Best Of. It just isn't likely, and would probably confuse newer fans.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Back
Top Bottom