Honest Question - Are U2's best days behind them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
What do you guys think? Are U2's best days behind them?

Realize that answering "yes" does not mean U2 "sucks" or should "hang it up".

My personal feeling is that they peaked creatively between AB and Zooropa and that their best days are behind them. I really don't care for what they have been doing the past 2 years musically (especially lyrically). But that's just my opinion - what is yours?

That's a very good question, and perhaps, for me, it depends on the kind of "sound" they are making at the time -

The great thing about U2 is that all of their albums have a different "sound" - some I've liked more than others.

When I heard Edge state that they were making a harder sounding "garage rock" type album, I was very intrigued and excited. I can't wait. :hyper:

I think I've alluded to it twice now - once about 9 months ago when I was struck with how much I don't like ATYCLB - but that was simply about ATYCLB.

Then, about 4-6 months ago, I explained why I thought U2 should hang it up.

Now that we've heard Electrical Storm and Hands That Built America, I thought I'd see where other people stand.

I hardly think I'm beating this into the ground any more than the threads about Henry Rollins or whatever.

I think as far as popularity, they peaked during the JT tour.

Creatively I agree w/you - they peaked during ZooTV.

I still worship the band, and like Pop and ATYCLB, but I will really be surprised if they hit the JT and ZooTV strides again. Unfortunately, they are getting pretty old, and that can hurt your popularity in the music world, like it or not. So, I don't think they will ever be as popular or "big" as they were in 87-88. Creatively, who knows? Could they pull off something as amazing as ZooTV ever again? It's possible, but it would be quite a feat.

I do think that they will dive into some more creative sounds and music with their next album. I think they needed to prove something to themselves and their fans w/ATYCLB - "we can still be the biggest rock band on the planet" - or something to that extent.

After proving that w/the Elevation tour, I see them with nothing left to prove to anyone. I think they must realize that, and it's got to free them up to make some more creative, experimental music.

Yes, definitely, which is why I think they should stop trying to be the biggest band in the world. I think they can still make great music, though--look at The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack--but only when they stop caring about the mainstream.

Good call Typhoon. U2 is at their best when they don't try to appease the mainstream.

In a couple cases, they ended up defining the mainstream because they were so good (Johsua Tree, AB to a lesser extent).

Zoocoustic said:
I think as far as popularity, they peaked during the JT tour.

Creatively I agree w/you - they peaked during ZooTV.

I still worship the band, and like Pop and ATYCLB, but I will really be surprised if they hit the JT and ZooTV strides again. Unfortunately, they are getting pretty old, and that can hurt your popularity in the music world, like it or not. So, I don't think they will ever be as popular or "big" as they were in 87-88. Creatively, who knows? Could they pull off something as amazing as ZooTV ever again? It's possible, but it would be quite a feat.

I do think that they will dive into some more creative sounds and music with their next album. I think they needed to prove something to themselves and their fans w/ATYCLB - "we can still be the biggest rock band on the planet" - or something to that extent.

After proving that w/the Elevation tour, I see them with nothing left to prove to anyone. I think they must realize that, and it's got to free them up to make some more creative, experimental music.

good post. i agree very much, and i honestly hope that they do the experimental thing for their next album. when i first heard htba and electrical storm...in all honesty, i was just a tad bit disappointed because i wanted change...but then..those were on the best of with atyclb and so on...well...to answer this question, i think we'll have to wait til this album comes out...

I'm curious as to what you all mean when you say that you want U2 to get "experimental" again. If you're talking about the sort of experimentation they've done with the 90s albums, wouldn't it be going back to what they've already done? And if not, then what could they possibly do in order for their music to sound radically different again when they've flirted with so many different styles and sounds already?

As to the original questions... well I don't know. I'd need to hear the music they haven't done yet in order to judge whether they're slipping or not.

One Tree Still said:
My personal feeling is that they peaked creatively between AB and Zooropa and that their best days are behind them. I really don't care for what they have been doing the past 2 years musically (especially lyrically). But that's just my opinion - what is yours?
I AGREE! ab and zooropa were the best. pop was a continuation of that.

when i say i want them to be more experimental, i just want them to keep trying new stuff. i'm not saying just not a repeat of atyclb, but no repeats of any other album. i don't even want a second ab! :wink:

Weeeell... it's just that somehow I feel that if, say, U2 did a full-on country/western album with violins and banjos, no one would ever call it "experimental", even though it would be something that U2 have never done before. No one refers to Rattle'n'Hum as "experimental", even if U2 did try out some different things and sounds on it. So I kinda get confused whenever people bring this word up.

One Tree Still said:
What do you guys think? Are U2's best days behind them?

Realize that answering "yes" does not mean U2 "sucks" or should "hang it up".

now i completely agree with you.
my fave album is AB, ZooTV was the greatest thing U2 has ever done!!:heart::heart::heart::combust:
ATYCLB is just...well it's good, but...eh.just not it.:tsk:..Elevation was WONDERFUL!!!GREAT!!!...but the album..a bit too much in the either.it seemed to me, that they were not playing with music anymore.
now the new songs-"ES"...like ATYCLB.
I HOPE the new album WILL be as Edge promissed...

"experimentation" is the most overused word re. music except for "rock"

oh and over here the term "sonic soundscapes" has been used so many times it makes me want to cry and call for my mommie

I don't see any evidence that U2 is losing it's artistic abilities
do I like everything they have done -- no
but to confuse what I like with artistic achievement would be foolish at least

Salome - what about lyrics? Do you think Bono is as creative and deep (in terms of making us all think, allowing for interpretation, inspiring us) as he used to be?

That, to me, is the most creative part of music-making and I've been really disappointed with the surfac-ey, make-sure-it-rhymes approach that Bono has taken with lyrics as of late. Electrical Storm is awful that way - even most of ATYCLB is pretty weak. Great themes, but simplistic and uninspiring execution, IMHO.

(please note: I can't write lyrics to save my life, but I know Bono can - I wish he would start kicking ass again!)

I prefer the lyrics on ATYCLB to the lyrics on POP
I prefer the lyrics on Zooropa to the lyrics of ATYCLB

I even think half of Achtung Baby rather sounds good than really means something

I think the lyrics of Stuck in a Moment are some of the best Bono has ever written

I don't think so. I know some fans dislike it, but personally I loved ATYCLB and thought it was one of U2's best albums ever.

On the other hand, I wonder what people expect when they say "U2 should make a rock album?" If they mean a politics inspired album - it was done with War, if they mean an album with lots of riffs and solos - it was done with AB.

Are U2's best days behind them? Uh, maybe. I can't think of very many rock bands that are still at the top of their game after 20 years. Although I believe U2's new material is great compared to new stuff by other bands that have been together for a long time, such as Aerosmith and the Rolling Stones, it is hard to imagine U2 hitting the incredible creative peak they reached in the 1980s and early 1990s. However, I'm hoping their new album will prove me wrong.

One Tree Still thread= ATYCLB bashing :scream: :banghead: and bringing up how they should retire :crazy: :banghead:

Look, if you don't like the way the band is anymore please go find another band and don't clog this message board with this stuff. I hope no one jumps me to defend his 'right' to 'express his opinion' because everyone who's been here more than a month has already heard these same views repeatedly.

NO

they should not hang it up

YES

I love ATYCLB

Last edited:
Desire4Bono said:
Haven't you asked this same question worded several different ways about a dozen times??!! :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Yes, and if I could do a search I swear I'd bump every last one of them to the first page so everyone could see how many times he's done this!!! :banghead:

Bonofire said:
One Tree Still thread= ATYCLB bashing :scream: :banghead: and bringing up how they should retire :crazy: :banghead:

Look, if you don't like the way the band is anymore please go find another band and don't clog this message board with this stuff. I hope no one jumps me to defend his 'right' to 'express his opinion' because everyone who's been here more than a month has already heard these same views repeatedly.

NO

they should not hang it up

YES

I love ATYCLB
I think you have been here more than month, so u should have read this thread more careful:One Tree Still said, that she's NOT SUGGESTING U2 TO HANG IT UP(!), and she also said she had no very hard feelings for ATYCLB.
The talk is not about not likeing u2 anumore, or so-it's just expressing a worry.I ALWAYS thought that interference is made up to let people do that.And if someone posts such a thread that means, that You still hasn't answered to her/his question, and that he/she cares about u2 AND your opinion.

AND, Bonofire, i always thought that U2 ARE NO GODS, so anyone CAN criticise them anytime they like to.

NO

ATYCLB is not being bashed:banghead:

NO

noone's suggesting u2 to call a quit.

YES

this message is AS important AS any others in this message board.

U2girl said:
I don't think so. I know some fans dislike it, but personally I loved ATYCLB and thought it was one of U2's best albums ever.

On the other hand, I wonder what people expect when they say "U2 should make a rock album?" If they mean a politics inspired album - it was done with War, if they mean an album with lots of riffs and solos - it was done with AB.
But now if they will do (what i think, is mostly possible to happen) another ATYCLB style album, it will not be as interesting as ATYCLB was-we've heard ATYCLB, ok, we clapped you and said, that it was great, however geting stuck to 1 style is :yawn:.
When people say that they want rock, that means they want something new:no ATYCLB, no POP-they want something, u2 HASN'T done before!:shrug:

I think that the new album -may- be similar to ATYCLB in that, judging from the bits I've read in the press, they're still excited about the idea of "four people playing in the room" and going back to that stripped sound. However, judging from the same pieces, they seem to be interested in a harder sound than ATYCLB's. Of course, that may all change, but I still think the next album will be quite different.

I also think that, at this point, it's practically impossible for U2 to create music that doesn't recall any of their earlier work in some way, simply because they've tried so many things already. Unless they hire a 150-piece orchestra or something.

bonofire, do not even begin opening that route. this thread is not about that, but if you want it to be, ill jump in like a pig in shit and there will be lots of reckoning. noone wants reckoning. or gnashing of teeth. heed these words of wisdom and we can keep this civil.

"are u2's best days behind them?"

absolutely. it seems they only feel obliged to make records to make money nowadays. bono, it would appear (he'd say otherwise, but thats just bono, hes always talking shit) has interests that are not within the music community, and the rest of the band is being hung out to dry.

larry mullen only cares about money, he even says so, so what does that tell you. if you only make music and then tour it for the sole purpose of making money, thats horseshit.

i like edge though. bono used to be really cool, i dont know anymore. he really pisses me off sometimes.

it'll be interesting to see what their next album is like. im not holding my breath on it, but whatever.

its funny how most of the people who have been at this board the longest have found other bands to pretty much replace u2 as their favorite.

I don't understand why people take up for this guy. I really don't. If somebody else did it as many times as him they'd be flamed into oblivion. Go back and look at his other threads. They say basically the same message.

Cow of the Seas:

I agree with you on your first point that this thread is not about bashing ATYCLB, U2, etc. However, I must ask you to be more specific in your assertion that Bono's interests are now "outside of the music community". There are two things that immediately spring to mind here:

1) Bono has always been extremely politically and socially active - ie, War Child, trips to Africa, Amnesty, Greenpeace, and so many others throughout the 80s and 90s.

2) Bono has never been so involved in as many different music projects as he is now - ie, soundtrack songs for The Good Thief, Gangs of New York, and In America (upcoming collaboration with Gavin Friday). He's also being doing songs with Jooles Holland and recording covers ('Beat on the Brat'). To me, it sounds as though his interests are very much inside the music community at the moment.

As for recording an album strictly to go on tour and make money with it, I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. The Elevation tour was a very spiritual affair, especially after 911. U2 were their hearts on their sleeves this last tour. Also, a band doesn't write songs such as 'Kite' and 'Grace' strictly to make money. If anything, ATYCLB is almost too sincere.

Michael Griffiths said:

1) Bono has always been extremely politically and socially active - ie, War Child, trips to Africa, Amnesty, Greenpeace, and so many others throughout the 80s and 90s.

2) As for recording an album strictly to go on tour and make money with it, I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. The Elevation tour was a very spiritual affair, especially after 911. U2 were their hearts on their sleeves this last tour. Also, a band doesn't write songs such as 'Kite' and 'Grace' strictly to make money. If anything, ATYCLB is almost too sincere.

i numbered these two comments.

1. yes, i know bono has always been politically active, but everyone would agree that never before has he been this immersed. i really dont think music is his passion anymore. he'd rather make a difference in a world, which is fine.

2. sorry dude, there was an article out recently on this matter and larry was quoted as such. ill dig it out if you want, but it came out i believe in december.

Stop being so negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:mad::mad::mad:

:wink:

And another thing...If U2 thought that their best days were behind them, do you think they'd still be trying at it? I mean, if you think you can't possibly top what you've done in the past, why bother trying? Have a little faith!

sharry_lt said:

I think you have been here more than month, so u should have read this thread more careful:One Tree Still said, that she's NOT SUGGESTING U2 TO HANG IT UP(!), and she also said she had no very hard feelings for ATYCLB.
The talk is not about not likeing u2 anumore, or so-it's just expressing a worry.I ALWAYS thought that interference is made up to let people do that.And if someone posts such a thread that means, that You still hasn't answered to her/his question, and that he/she cares about u2 AND your opinion.

AND, Bonofire, i always thought that U2 ARE NO GODS, so anyone CAN criticise them anytime they like to.

NO

ATYCLB is not being bashed:banghead:

NO

noone's suggesting u2 to call a quit.

YES

this message is AS important AS any others in this message board.

:rolleyes: Yes, but this person has already posted AT LEAST 2 threads conveying basically the same *cough*NEGATIVE*cough* message. If somebody REALLY feels that the band should hang it up or whatever, why on earth are they wasting their time here? That is something I will never understand.

I, for one, feel that they're currently at the top of their game and aren't even close to hanging it up. ATYCLB is second only to JT and the band has more creative freedom now than they ever did. I believe that the rest of this decade will be just as exciting as the last two.

Back
Top Bottom