Honest Question - Are U2's best days behind them? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2003, 08:15 PM   #81
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by One Tree Still

15 years from now, if U2 releases their "40 Licks" it'll probably have about the same mix of old (1978-1994) (80%) to "new"(1995-200?) (20%) stuff on it because time will have tested all of it by then and the cream will have risen to the top.

Who knows?
Please let U2 break up with all 4 members in tact before they ever release a "40 Licks" type album and Greatest Hits tour. I respect the Stones for doing what they want to do, but they have pretty much become a nostalgia act since Bill Wyman left the band IMO. I would not like to see this happen to U2. They should end the group before that, much like the bands who "wrote the blueprint" for them....The Beatles, The Ramones & The Clash.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:08 AM
The TGBHF was on the Australian version of ATYCLB... but where can I find "Stateless"?

Old 01-13-2003, 08:23 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Everyone makes good points here on page 5!

I guess I am a bit confused as to why some people think that only warm fuzzies should be passed around on a discussion board.

I happen to think (some of you will see this as self-centered - and I don't mean it that way) that I grew up at the perfect time for U2 - in other words, I was at the perfect age to appreciate their work in the context of when it was released. Does that make sense to anyone else? It's just a luck thing, nothing of my doing, but I really feel that way.

So, all that to say, people my age - or within a few years of my age either way (32) probably have a better perspective on U2's music than someone who discovered U2 with POP when they were 12 or 15.

I know some of you are going to come in guns-a-blazing on this one but please understand I am not minimizing your U2 experience, just maximizing the experience that those of us who are in our late 20's or early 30's had.

Where am I going with this - well, if you're one of the latter, you probably are more likely to share my sentiments. Does anyone confer with me on that? Am I nuts?
I completely see what you're saying here. I think age has a large part to do with a person's U2 experience. I "discovered" U2 at age 15 with Pop and the Popmart tour. That period in their history will always be dear to me because it's when I, personally, became a real fan. I have been exposed to their music for as long as I can remember...my mom has been a huge fan for years. Her "defining" U2 moments, so to speak, were in 1992 with Achtung Baby and the Zootv tour, and I don't think anything has ever topped it for her since then, although she does agree with the whole idea of "ATYCLB as U2's third masterpiece."

Maybe we identify most with the U2 we come to know in the beginnings of our fandom. For me, someone who had been familar with their music back to War before I became a fan, U2 was the band who was always changing, always evolving. And I loved the way I never knew what to expect from them, and thus couldn't help loving whatever they happened to toss my way.

I guess it's all about perspective.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:36 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I don't by the Steel Wheels comparison to ATYCLB. Steel Wheels was the Stone's lowest selling album with a tour promoting it, at that time. The album sold about 4.5 million copies, 2 million of that in the USA. Its more comparable to POP and its 5.5 million sales in terms of popular appeal and impact. ATYCLB is approaching 11.5 million in sales worldwide. It is clearly U2s most popular album with the exception of Achtung Baby and Joshua
Tree.

I don't see U2 putting a disproportionate amount of material from the 80s on any 40 licks CD they would come out with. U2 have just put out a GH album primarily based on its 90s material. I don't thing the Stones would even put a 1980-2000 let alone a 1990-2000.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:40 PM   #85
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene
The TGBHF was on the Australian version of ATYCLB... but where can I find "Stateless"?
Stateless is on the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack...Great spacy tune.

As far as that Stones Steel Wheels/ATYCLB comparison. I agree with it to a degree because SW was considered a "comeback" album for the Stones. Probably their most popular & critically acclaimed album since Tattoo You.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:31 AM   #86
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:08 AM
STING2 -

That's good info on SW vs. ATYCLB, but I was thinking of them more in terms of philosophy than sales figures.

I think part of the reason ATYCLB sold so well was because we were told it was an album that sounded like "classic" U2 (it doesn't).

The real question is, will the songs from ATYCLB be placed on the same pedestal that songs from UF (Bad, Pride, MLK), JT and AB are.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:41 AM   #87
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I think part of the reason ATYCLB sold so well was because we were told it was an album that sounded like "classic" U2 (it doesn't).
You know, that always kind of annoyed me. People were saying, "oh, they've returned to their roots!" and honestly, I did a lot of head-scratching over that. Does ATYCLB sound like Boy? No, of course not! wtf? I mean, I like ATYCLB and all...I just don't understand what people were talking about!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 11:10 AM   #88
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
The real question is, will the songs from ATYCLB be placed on the same pedestal that songs from UF (Bad, Pride, MLK), JT and AB are.
if that is indeed the real question then U2's best days are already behind them since 1991 so we're having this discussion about 10 years too late
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-14-2003, 01:02 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

In my experience, it's not usually a good thing to put anything (a song, or anything else, for that matter) on a pedestal...because the only place to go is down, right?
Old 01-14-2003, 01:18 PM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
In my experience, it's not usually a good thing to put anything (a song, or anything else, for that matter) on a pedestal...because the only place to go is down, right?
No, not always. 'Sunday Bloody Sunday and 'New Year's Day' were put on pedestals, and U2 answered the bell with 'Pride' (no pun intended) and 'Bad'. Those two songs were also put on a pedestals, proclaimed as their greatest songs by many fans, and they answered with about 3 or 4 better songs with their next album ('Streets', WOWY, 'Running To Stand' and possibly 'Still Haven't Found', though this last one is probably tied). People put those songs on a pedestal for very good reason. Then, after R&H, U2 go away for a while and record the greatest song ever, that being 'One'. Of course, now we've all managed to put this one on a pedestal, too. I'm sure that U2 somehow believe they can out-do 'One' in some form or another. I'm not saying they'll do it, but if history is any indicator... My point is, sometimes, the only place to go is up. "It's all we can do..."
Old 01-14-2003, 01:59 PM   #91
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
You know, that always kind of annoyed me. People were saying, "oh, they've returned to their roots!" and honestly, I did a lot of head-scratching over that. Does ATYCLB sound like Boy? No, of course not! wtf? I mean, I like ATYCLB and all...I just don't understand what people were talking about!!!
i suppose it was because it was a return to a simpler sound. i don't necessarily mean that's a bad thing. i call it simpler because it's not like the more techno stuff that we saw on pop and such. the stuff that's got a million layers of synthesizers and stuff, that's often difficult to reproduce live when you're trying to stick with the four people in the band instead of having three keyboardists and two guitarists onstage. imo, that's why the pop songs often sound completely different live, but the atyclb songs sound somewhat similar live.

but, it's still a stupid analogy because U2 has tried to never duplicate their previous albums, and i still don't think it sounds like their earlier stuff.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #92
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

OneTreeHill,

I would argue that "Walk On" and "Kite" are two of U2s best songs ever. Definitely top 20 and probably top 10. Most of my friends feel the same way. There is a lot of passion in those songs on par with U2s most passionate songs.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:50 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

but, it's still a stupid analogy because U2 has tried to never duplicate their previous albums, and i still don't think it sounds like their earlier stuff.
Exactly! I think that's the part of the analogy that annoyed me most!
Old 01-14-2003, 03:11 PM   #94
Acrobat

STING2

I would say Walk On is probably Top 20 for me, but Kite doesn't make my list - which is a good reminder that this "argument" is really subjective anyway.

Just for poops and giggles I'd say my Top 20 (studio) is...

1. One Tree Hill
2. With or Without You
3. Bad
4. Streets
5. Stay
6. Running to Stand
7. October
8. Until the End of the World
9. Unforgettable Fire
10. Ultraviolet
11. Pride
12. I Still Haven't Found
13. The Fly
14. All I Want Is You
15. A Sort of Homecoming
16. Like a Song
17. New Years Day
18. Out of Control
19. Scarlet
20. Acrobat

I guess "Walk On" doesn't make the cut after all...
Old 01-14-2003, 10:12 PM   #95
Acrobat

Wake Up Dead Man, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Gone, Staring At The Sun, Please, Stay, Lemon, One, Acrobat, Mysterious Ways, Until The End Of The World, When Love Comes To Town, Silver And Gold, All I Want Is You, Desire, With Or Without You, One Tree Hill, Bullet The Blue Sky, Where The Streets Have No Name, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Running To Stand Still, Bad, Pride, Wire, The Unforgettable Fire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year's Day, "40", October, 11 o' Clock Tick Tock

Are my thirty best (in no particular order). I had over fourty but I thought that was a tad excessive. A little bit from everywhere. If I expanded it to fifty I'd probably throw in a couple from ATYCLB.
Old 01-15-2003, 03:56 AM   #96
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm pretty sure "Beautiful Day" will be remembered as a later-day U2 classic.

My top 20 (studio) at the moment:

Out of Control, I Will Follow, Tomorrow, Lemon, Unforgettable Fire, Pride, Bad, Running to Stand Still, Streets, God Part II, Mysterious Ways, The Fly, Stay, Wake Up Dead Man, Kite, In a Little While, Beautiful Day, Gone, Miss Sarajevo, Desire.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:55 AM   #97
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
OneTreeHill,

I would argue that "Walk On" and "Kite" are two of U2s best songs ever. Definitely top 20 and probably top 10. Most of my friends feel the same way. There is a lot of passion in those songs on par with U2s most passionate songs.
I would agree.

For me, Beautiful Day also might be in my top 5. I never get tired of that song. I think it's just as good as anything they ever have done. And besides the guitar riff, it isn't really "retro U2" either. Listen to the string loop opening & the synths throughout the song, especially the "see the world..." part. Edge's guitar solo sounds totally different to anything he's done before as well. This song, and others on the album don't sound like back to basics to me. It's not POP, but it's not War either.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:50 AM   #98
Refugee

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
STING2

I would say Walk On is probably Top 20 for me, but Kite doesn't make my list - which is a good reminder that this "argument" is really subjective anyway.

Just for poops and giggles I'd say my Top 20 (studio) is...

1. One Tree Hill
2. With or Without You
3. Bad
4. Streets
5. Stay
6. Running to Stand
7. October
8. Until the End of the World
9. Unforgettable Fire
10. Ultraviolet
11. Pride
12. I Still Haven't Found
13. The Fly
14. All I Want Is You
15. A Sort of Homecoming
16. Like a Song
17. New Years Day
18. Out of Control
19. Scarlet
20. Acrobat

I guess "Walk On" doesn't make the cut after all...
Wow! not a single song off POP made your top 20!

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP
Old 01-16-2003, 04:14 PM   #99
Acrobat

Jick - I considered putting "Gone" in my Top 20 - it's a great song - but I like the re-mixed version much better than the original.

"Please" could be in the Top 20 as well, but the single version is much better than the original.

I was sticking to the originals I guess.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:22 PM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
"Please" could be in the Top 20 as well, but the single version is much better than the original.
I like the rawness of the original much better. To me, it will always be the definitive version because of its sonically clinical aproach. It's a very cold track, and I think it needs to sound that way too.