Honest Question - Are U2's best days behind them? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2003, 03:26 PM   #21
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonofire
One Tree Still thread= ATYCLB bashing and bringing up how they should retire

Look, if you don't like the way the band is anymore please go find another band and don't clog this message board with this stuff. I hope no one jumps me to defend his 'right' to 'express his opinion' because everyone who's been here more than a month has already heard these same views repeatedly.

NO

they should not hang it up

YES

I love ATYCLB
I think you have been here more than month, so u should have read this thread more careful:One Tree Still said, that she's NOT SUGGESTING U2 TO HANG IT UP(!), and she also said she had no very hard feelings for ATYCLB.
The talk is not about not likeing u2 anumore, or so-it's just expressing a worry.I ALWAYS thought that interference is made up to let people do that.And if someone posts such a thread that means, that You still hasn't answered to her/his question, and that he/she cares about u2 AND your opinion.

AND, Bonofire, i always thought that U2 ARE NO GODS, so anyone CAN criticise them anytime they like to.

NO

ATYCLB is not being bashed

NO

noone's suggesting u2 to call a quit.

YES

this message is AS important AS any others in this message board.

Old 01-11-2003, 03:28 PM   #22
Acrobat

wink

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
I don't think so. I know some fans dislike it, but personally I loved ATYCLB and thought it was one of U2's best albums ever.

On the other hand, I wonder what people expect when they say "U2 should make a rock album?" If they mean a politics inspired album - it was done with War, if they mean an album with lots of riffs and solos - it was done with AB.
But now if they will do (what i think, is mostly possible to happen) another ATYCLB style album, it will not be as interesting as ATYCLB was-we've heard ATYCLB, ok, we clapped you and said, that it was great, however geting stuck to 1 style is .
When people say that they want rock, that means they want something new:no ATYCLB, no POP-they want something, u2 HASN'T done before!

Old 01-11-2003, 05:32 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:40 AM
I think that the new album -may- be similar to ATYCLB in that, judging from the bits I've read in the press, they're still excited about the idea of "four people playing in the room" and going back to that stripped sound. However, judging from the same pieces, they seem to be interested in a harder sound than ATYCLB's. Of course, that may all change, but I still think the next album will be quite different.

I also think that, at this point, it's practically impossible for U2 to create music that doesn't recall any of their earlier work in some way, simply because they've tried so many things already. Unless they hire a 150-piece orchestra or something.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:22 PM   #24
War Child

Local Time: 12:40 AM
bonofire, do not even begin opening that route. this thread is not about that, but if you want it to be, ill jump in like a pig in shit and there will be lots of reckoning. noone wants reckoning. or gnashing of teeth. heed these words of wisdom and we can keep this civil.

"are u2's best days behind them?"

absolutely. it seems they only feel obliged to make records to make money nowadays. bono, it would appear (he'd say otherwise, but thats just bono, hes always talking shit) has interests that are not within the music community, and the rest of the band is being hung out to dry.

larry mullen only cares about money, he even says so, so what does that tell you. if you only make music and then tour it for the sole purpose of making money, thats horseshit.

i like edge though. bono used to be really cool, i dont know anymore. he really pisses me off sometimes.

it'll be interesting to see what their next album is like. im not holding my breath on it, but whatever.

its funny how most of the people who have been at this board the longest have found other bands to pretty much replace u2 as their favorite.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-11-2003, 08:20 PM   #25
Acrobat

I don't understand why people take up for this guy. I really don't. If somebody else did it as many times as him they'd be flamed into oblivion. Go back and look at his other threads. They say basically the same message.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:50 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Cow of the Seas:

I agree with you on your first point that this thread is not about bashing ATYCLB, U2, etc. However, I must ask you to be more specific in your assertion that Bono's interests are now "outside of the music community". There are two things that immediately spring to mind here:

1) Bono has always been extremely politically and socially active - ie, War Child, trips to Africa, Amnesty, Greenpeace, and so many others throughout the 80s and 90s.

2) Bono has never been so involved in as many different music projects as he is now - ie, soundtrack songs for The Good Thief, Gangs of New York, and In America (upcoming collaboration with Gavin Friday). He's also being doing songs with Jooles Holland and recording covers ('Beat on the Brat'). To me, it sounds as though his interests are very much inside the music community at the moment.

As for recording an album strictly to go on tour and make money with it, I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. The Elevation tour was a very spiritual affair, especially after 911. U2 were their hearts on their sleeves this last tour. Also, a band doesn't write songs such as 'Kite' and 'Grace' strictly to make money. If anything, ATYCLB is almost too sincere.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

1) Bono has always been extremely politically and socially active - ie, War Child, trips to Africa, Amnesty, Greenpeace, and so many others throughout the 80s and 90s.

2) As for recording an album strictly to go on tour and make money with it, I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion. The Elevation tour was a very spiritual affair, especially after 911. U2 were their hearts on their sleeves this last tour. Also, a band doesn't write songs such as 'Kite' and 'Grace' strictly to make money. If anything, ATYCLB is almost too sincere.
i numbered these two comments.

1. yes, i know bono has always been politically active, but everyone would agree that never before has he been this immersed. i really dont think music is his passion anymore. he'd rather make a difference in a world, which is fine.

2. sorry dude, there was an article out recently on this matter and larry was quoted as such. ill dig it out if you want, but it came out i believe in december.
so shes taking lots of vitamins
cause she knows that
it be tragic
if those evil robots win
Old 01-11-2003, 10:14 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:40 AM
Stop being so negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another thing...If U2 thought that their best days were behind them, do you think they'd still be trying at it? I mean, if you think you can't possibly top what you've done in the past, why bother trying? Have a little faith!
Old 01-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sharry_lt

I think you have been here more than month, so u should have read this thread more careful:One Tree Still said, that she's NOT SUGGESTING U2 TO HANG IT UP(!), and she also said she had no very hard feelings for ATYCLB.
The talk is not about not likeing u2 anumore, or so-it's just expressing a worry.I ALWAYS thought that interference is made up to let people do that.And if someone posts such a thread that means, that You still hasn't answered to her/his question, and that he/she cares about u2 AND your opinion.

AND, Bonofire, i always thought that U2 ARE NO GODS, so anyone CAN criticise them anytime they like to.

NO

ATYCLB is not being bashed

NO

noone's suggesting u2 to call a quit.

YES

this message is AS important AS any others in this message board.
Yes, but this person has already posted AT LEAST 2 threads conveying basically the same *cough*NEGATIVE*cough* message. If somebody REALLY feels that the band should hang it up or whatever, why on earth are they wasting their time here? That is something I will never understand.
Old 01-12-2003, 01:00 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I, for one, feel that they're currently at the top of their game and aren't even close to hanging it up. ATYCLB is second only to JT and the band has more creative freedom now than they ever did. I believe that the rest of this decade will be just as exciting as the last two.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:53 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
I guess we will have to wait and see what the new album brings. As much as I love ATYCLB, it wasn't as mind blowing as JT or AB. It doesn't make me any less of a fan to say that their current creative ventures are not as revolutionary as they used to be. I agree that U2 will not have the same JT type sucess again, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The next album could be pure genius, yet largely ignored by masses, does that make it a bad album? No, of course not.

If they start making albums to please the public, they are cheating themselves and their fans. If they make music to please themselves, everyone may not like it, but at least they have their integrity.

I personally do not find the intent this thread to be negative or bashing anything. Yes, there have been similar threads like it....but I think that those threads have degraded into pissing matches rather than actual discussions.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:58 AM   #32
Refugee

i had this same question going in my mind during and after the popmart tour. then they came out with atyclb and then i was proven wrong. so no, i dont think that they are.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #33
War Child

yes i think the best days are behind them ..but they are still by far the best band in the world and ATYCLB is a kick ass album
Old 01-12-2003, 01:01 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:40 AM

Quote:

But now if they will do (what i think, is mostly possible to happen) another ATYCLB style album, it will not be as interesting as ATYCLB was-we've heard ATYCLB, ok, we clapped you and said, that it was great, however geting stuck to 1 style is .
When people say that they want rock, that means they want something new:no ATYCLB, no POP-they want something, u2 HASN'T done before!
Who says they're making another ATYCLB album?

They never repeat themselves...as for "new" - what else can they possilby do? The earliest stuff has a punkish sound, they tried going towards blues and rock'n'roll, they tried "industrial" sound, they tried electronica, they tried going towards dance - there's only so much you can do.

I like the organic approach they used with the last album. However, it's likely the overall sound might be harder.
(that's what Edge said, but then again, the band also said their albums start out one way and end up another)
Old 01-12-2003, 02:50 PM   #35
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Who says they're making another ATYCLB album?

wELL, THEIR NEW SONGS (es & thtba) SOUN VERY atyclb STYLE.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #36
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Cow of the Seas
bonofire, do not even begin opening that route. this thread is not about that, but if you want it to be, ill jump in like a pig in shit and there will be lots of reckoning. noone wants reckoning. or gnashing of teeth. heed these words of wisdom and we can keep this civil.

"are u2's best days behind them?"

absolutely. it seems they only feel obliged to make records to make money nowadays. bono, it would appear (he'd say otherwise, but thats just bono, hes always talking shit) has interests that are not within the music community, and the rest of the band is being hung out to dry.

larry mullen only cares about money, he even says so, so what does that tell you. if you only make music and then tour it for the sole purpose of making money, thats horseshit.

i like edge though. bono used to be really cool, i dont know anymore. he really pisses me off sometimes.

it'll be interesting to see what their next album is like. im not holding my breath on it, but whatever.

its funny how most of the people who have been at this board the longest have found other bands to pretty much replace u2 as their favorite.
*applause*
Old 01-12-2003, 02:57 PM   #37
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie

Yes, but this person has already posted AT LEAST 2 threads conveying basically the same *cough*NEGATIVE*cough* message. If somebody REALLY feels that the band should hang it up or whatever, why on earth are they wasting their time here? That is something I will never understand.
let her/him talk if he/she wants to!tell me-does that hurt you so much that one tree still has posted this thread?there's always a rule, that if u don't like it, u don't read it.
it's just a VERY worried person.
Old 01-12-2003, 03:00 PM   #38
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by wertsie
Stop being so negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another thing...If U2 thought that their best days were behind them, do you think they'd still be trying at it? I mean, if you think you can't possibly top what you've done in the past, why bother trying? Have a little faith!
If u2 wouldn't liked POP, do you think they would have released it?however , the critics were cruel to it...
Old 01-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #39
Acrobat

we are soooo positive!
Old 01-12-2003, 03:07 PM   #40
The Fly

Quote:

If u2 wouldn't liked POP, do you think they would have released it?however , the critics were cruel to it...
I reckon reading somwhere that U2 never became happy with POP, and that they released it earlier because that PopMart drawed to close....

Am i right?