Holy S***, U2 is friggin rich!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zoopop

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just read this on u2tours.com:

News agency Reuters reports that analysts predict that by the time the second leg of U2's Elevation US tour ends next month worldwide ticket sales will be pushing ?100 million with overall earnings for the group topping $200m.

I think U2 should be set for life. I think if U2 goes on tour in 2003 in stadiums, tickets could be $5.00, and they could have a video screen twice as big as the Popmart screen with that kind of money being made. See what happens when you write good songs, make great albums, become the biggest band in the world, have smart PR & marketing, and charge high prices for tickets?

Umm... U2's been rich and deployed smart business and PR tactics for a long time. They split the $200million 5 ways.. but yes, they are all well off and have been for quite some time - and I wouldn't hold your breath for a cheap tour. Tours regularly for many bands cost millions a week, and at $5, the band would basically be footing the bill.
(I've witnessed first hand one of the major bands of the 90s fall face first due to bad business tactics and bad attitude...alot more goes into a tour and tour costs than you might think)

Originally posted by zoopop:
I think if U2 goes on tour in 2003 in stadiums, tickets could be $5.00, and they could have a video screen twice as big as the Popmart screen with that kind of money being made.

LMAO!!! Could you imagine? hahaha
biggrin.gif
$5!!

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Yeah, I knew U2 were rich, but I think its impressive to make $200 million dollars off a single tour in less than a year.

U2 have been set for life for quite some time. Also the 200m is not net, it is gross. Which means U2 will not split that amount 5 ways. You have to pay for your crew, equipment, transportation, lodging, venue rental and insurance, etc. Then what is left is the profit that gets delved out. I'am sure U2 made money on this tour but they did not split 200m.

Yeah - it is impressive - and a pretty standard sum when you take into account the sold-out shows, expensive tickets and merchandising they have racked in.

Not to downplay the fact that U2 are indeed making a shitload of money, but these stats don't mention what percentage of the money is put back into the show (i.e. how much money it takes to keep the show on the road
smile.gif
), so it's a little misleading.

[This message has been edited by Diemen (edited 11-27-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom