Holy Joe..... DEFINITIVE U2 ROCK - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2001, 07:38 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Holy Joe..... DEFINITIVE U2 ROCK

I'd LOVE for the next 'harder rocking' album to be like this song (garage mix). Except for the vocal effects this is a a pretty stripped down song. Do you think this is something only 90s U2 could have written? Or do you think it's a sign of things to come?

------------------
And I felt like a star...

Old 11-26-2001, 07:48 PM   #2
Kid A

Local Time: 11:31 AM
it's a blistering tune, very tongue-in-cheek lyrics indicative of 90s U2, but I don't envision them straying far from the path they've taken with ATYCLB -- which has a much more sobering, spiritual pursuit behind it

though I like that cheeky side of U2, I think they've moved on

Old 11-26-2001, 07:55 PM   #3
Kid A

oh, and Holy Joe does have a raw feel to it, but I think that has more to do with it being a b-side that they didn't spend a lot of time trying to "perfect"

look at the other b-sides like Lady with the Spinning Head, Salome, Big Girls Are Best and Always -- they sound more like a band used to being perfectionists in the studio just letting loose and having fun, not worrying about every last note, just jamming out some cool tunes...

Old 11-27-2001, 06:16 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
oh, and Holy Joe does have a raw feel to it, but I think that has more to do with it being a b-side that they didn't spend a lot of time trying to "perfect"

look at the other b-sides like Lady with the Spinning Head, Salome, Big Girls Are Best and Always -- they sound more like a band used to being perfectionists in the studio just letting loose and having fun, not worrying about every last note, just jamming out some cool tunes...

I suppose you are right... but wasn't it included on the japanese version of Pop.. in which case you'd think it would be the finished product.

------------------
And I felt like a star...
Old 11-27-2001, 08:42 PM   #5
Acrobat

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dorian Gray:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:

I suppose you are right... but wasn't it included on the japanese version of Pop.. in which case you'd think it would be the finished product.

The only thing is, if I am not mistaken, is that the version included on the japanese version of POP was the Guilty mix, not the Garage mix. The garage mix may have been unfinished. Regardless, kick ass tune!

------------------
Peace on Earth.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:46 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

The Japan version of Pop is the Guilty mix. Bought it in Japan, and it's the only version of Pop I have.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:49 PM   #7
Acrobat

I love the song so much that if something shocks me, I yell "Holy Joe!!!!!!"

BTW, The live version(K-Mart) rules!

------------------
"And I can feel the cold steel. And I can make a wound that won't heal."- Bono