HMTMKMKM - Mexico City, 1997

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I just have the mp3 of this....

why is Bono coughing up a lung in the beginning? And then yells.."Fuck yes!"

------------------
*The pursuit of knowledge and goodness is more satisfying than actually having it. Plus, ultimately, I don't think there is just "one" answer to apply to everyone. I think we are all here for different purposes.
- Melon

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 04-27-2002).]

He did that at every POP Mart show that I saw.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
I just have the mp3 of this....

I joost watched this last night with sula and Ali Rose. We couldn't figure out why he said "Fuck yes!" Then again I didn't hear him coughing. He is behind Edge only up a level and he jumps down and says "fuck yes!". Dunno why exactly.

------------------
Come on wisdom tooth, don't fail me now!

Try to sing for 2 hours in this city.

Fuck this..is the least you can say :-D

ok, maybe he said that in every show...

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.

Hey I also thought he says "fuck this!" Hey I don't know why he said it, but it sounds cool as an intro into the song!!! Funny, I'm just listening to this right now and........HE DOES SAY FUCK THIS!! go figure!!

He's a rock star and it's a loud song. Sheesh, it's one of the few things about PopMart that DOES make sense...

Originally posted by typhoon:
He's a rock star and it's a loud song. Sheesh, it's one of the few things about PopMart that DOES make sense...

Oh yeah. Hacking up your lungs ALWAYS happens at the rock shows I've been to.

they don't know what you're doin'
babe, it must be art...

irony, kids. Dark, bitter, up-yours kind of irony. That performance is truly scary, I thought -- it unnerved me, having never seen a POPmart show. The song could be winkingly ironic (like The Fly), but that performance is outright contemptuous -- bilious, even. Hucking it up, loud and gauche, kind of fits that character's vibe, don't it?

POPmart -- one of my favourite subjects. Just another .02 worth...

Deb D

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:

I have no idea about the "Fuck this!" quote (I always hear it as "Fuck this!"), but as someone pointed out earlier, Bono did the coughing thing at (nearly) every show on the Popmart tour. Mexico wasn't his best 'cough' though. In other concerts he started HMTMKMKM with some manic laughter (like some Batman bad guy laugh) which caused him to 'choke' in his laughter (not really choke, but the character did). After this theatre you need to cough a bit to clear the lungs so you're able to sing (or talk again).

Hope this explains it a bit.

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Back
Top Bottom