hmm yet another couple of bad reviews on amazon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
my guess more people who just dont like U2, yet this is really hurting the albums overall rating

Face it folks. U2 are cr@p. I know it's hard to accept it when your favourite band finally turns that corner but you really should be over it by now. After all, it's been fourteen years since Achtung Baby (their last good album). Hell even that was a poor man's 'The Idiot' and about as "experimental" as McDonalds doing salads. But you can't let go can you?

Let's Recap:
U2 1980-1991: Good Stuff, mostly because they spent half the time trying to rewrite Joy Division's 'Atmosphere', a lofty goal that produced some good and great results.

Zooropa: Misguided, rushed and weak. Still had some worthwhile moments. Worse was to come.

Pop: U2 branch out and display their limited musical range. Bono sounds like a dying cat. Embarassing to say the least.

ATYCLB: Second worst album title ever. The band sounds amateurish for the first time ever. "Songs" are scrappy and half finished. Personal disappointment for me coz I never thought I'd see the day when a Brian Eno production would be so stultifyingly boring. Himself and Lanois were obviously asleep at the console. Don't worry though, Anton Corbijn is taking the black and white photos so it must be as good as The Joshua Tree! Yaaayyyy!!

HTDAAB: Worst album title ever. The band sounds so tired it defies description. There are no songs at all. Just bits of (bad) ideas sewn together with ridiculous edits. The lyrics are hackneyed, empty, rhyming rubbish with nothing substantive to say. The rhythm section are utterly bereft of any ideas whatsoever. And the whole thing is mixed to slot perfectly into that horrible K-ROCK radio format. Uugghhh.

Please don't think I hate U2. I don't. I'd really like for this album to be good but it's just not. I think they probably still have it in them to produce another great record. If they put half the effort they put into the business into the songs instead I think they could easily do it. As it stands, they are surrounded by so many sycophants and yes-men at this stage that they have no honest and objective sounding board. Just people standing around massaging their egos and telling them how wonderful they are. Not healthy, and definitely not conducive to creating great art. They also need to jetisson this burning, avaricious desire to remain the world's biggest band forever. It's not doing the music any good.

Do yourself a favour. Don't buy this record. If nobody buys it then maybe, just maybe, they'll come back with a record that's about the music and not corporate schlock concerned with consensus committees and the bottom line.
Oh and by the way. I see people mentioning U2 and The Beatles in the same breath. Please don't. It's just dumb.

and

I never thought U2 would sink so low, how can they settle for this crap.

"Vertigo" is alright and
"Sometimes You can make it on your own" is a pretty good tune - "All because of you" is pretty good, but the rest, is this really the U2 album that everyones been waiting so long for?

Overall the whole album has the same tone of the song "Vertigo" mostly and what makes this album even more outragous is that it was named by the band as "The best U2 album ever" well it is'nt.

I was actually expecting on this record
(as was said by many before it came out)that it sounds like the old U2 updated. So I was expecting a louder edgier guitar sound to it with heaps of "mega" tracks, and some straight forward sounding songs as well....................I just am really dissapointed........you should be to.......enough said.

who cares? it's reviews like this that re-affirm my thoughts on this great album:

Rename this CD: How to Dismantle the Loss of a Loved One
by Abigail McNemar

After losing my mother this fall, this album has become the outlet to release all of my emotions. When I first bought it, I turned down all the lights in my bedroom and played the whole thing straight through. I cried to most of the songs, especially the beautiful "Sometimes You Can't Make It on your Own." As Bono lost his father and wrote most of these songs about him or the issues of death and survival, they all struck me in the heart. These songs cradled all of my emotions I was feeling.

"Miracle Drug" made me appreciate the love my mother had given me.
"Sometimes" made me realize how much I missed her and our past experiences together.
"City of Blinding Lights" reminded me of her outer and inner beauty.
"All Because of You" is like a dedication to her while letting out my anger about her death.
"One Step Closer" covers the broader topic of death.
"Yahweh" is a prayer that closes everything.

THANK YOU SO MUCH U2 FOR GIVING ME THIS! IT HAS AND WILL GET ME THROUGH THE TOUGH MONTHS AHEAD

Wow did Henry Rollins write that bad review? I know he isn't doing much lately since VH1 hasn't been calling him back needing his opinion on some retro countdown show.

KUEFC09U2 said:
about as "experimental" as McDonalds doing salads.

That cracked me up. :laugh:

I don't let the bad reviews bother me. At the Ryan Adams board, U2 gets ragged on a lot, and I think part of it has to do with people knowing I'm a huge U2 fan, and they want to piss me off. After one guy went off on me about how much U2 sucked, I just told him something like, "Different strokes for different folks." He was like, "I just insulted your god! That's the best you can say to me? " It was like he was just trying to tick me off or get me to try to convince him why he should like U2.

Some people like U2, some people don't. Some people like U2 but don't like everything they have done. Whatever, ya know? As long as you like it, keep listening and enjoying. To anyone who doesn't like U2...it's just less competition for concert tickets and stuff.

KUEFC09U2 said:
Let's Recap:
U2 1980-1991: Good Stuff, mostly because they spent half the time trying to rewrite Joy Division's 'Atmosphere', a lofty goal that produced some good and great results.

Funny, the first 20 seconds of City of Blinding Lights reminded me of a song called 'Insight' by Joy Division! :der:

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I was looking through some of the 1 star reviews, and they aren't even reviews, they are comments about Bono's ego, the band selling out, or not "rawking" hard enough. I mean one guy gave Hail to the thief one star and the darkness 5 stars. These people aren't obviously U2 fans, IMO.

I also think many people giving it such a bad review because they played it once and completely was dumbfounded. Not what they were expecting, therefore bad. Not so. I felt almost the same way after my first listen, but easily a 9/10 from me now.

I also find it amazing that 1 star people take the time to post their first Amazon review ever on this album. They feel they need to make their feelings known because U2 is so huge. It also shows how many HTDAAB albums will be sold. I definitely didn't love AB after my first listen. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom