High Cost of Ticket Prices - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2002, 07:49 PM   #41
The Fly

Local Time: 12:48 PM
I've read an interesting article in a local newspaper over here...

ticket prices are fixed by the promoter and the arena, depending on how much downside guarantee the artist asks for. here is the scale I've been able to get from the Molson Centre: (in US dollars)

Paul McCartney 1 million $
Britney Spears 500 000 $
U2 150 000 $

so draw your own conclusions. U2 are 4. McCartney and britney are alone. McCartney is a billionnaire and asks for 1 million per show!! how do you like that for recognition after 35 years of fan support ?

money can't buy me love ?
talkin' bout freedom ?
yeah right...if Lennon were still here, Sir Paul, he'd be all over your *ss

Old 05-02-2002, 12:38 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It should be mentioned that many of Paul Mc's shows so far have failed to sellout and he is only doing one or two shows in big markets. No seats are being sold behind the stage either. His tickets are obviously on the high side and the market is responding in kind. Ahhhhh, the beauty of economics.

Old 05-03-2002, 11:38 AM   #43
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Only the rich kids will go to the shows. It was pretty difficult to get GA tix, which were the cheapest. So U2's plan for appealing to the youth through their shows is somewhat a lost cause IMO. Teen boppers might spend money and but for some reason, I don't necessarily think those are primarily the young fans they were hpoing to appeal to.

I can understand how some music fans can be dismissive of U2 and associate them with "corporate rock." High ticket prices are a black eye. People mention sports tix costing a lot... it is a bunch of crap that those ticket prices are high too.

I want to mention that I saw Wilco and Elliott Smith for $15. Keeping up the good fight.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC
Old 05-03-2002, 11:49 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Wilco charge $15 a ticket because that is what their market value is.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:55 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
I tink it was 33/35 for the Popmart gig here in Belfast, although I cant be sure, Id need someone else from here who went to confirm that!!!!!!

Pop Musik
Old 05-03-2002, 04:37 PM   #46
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2:
Wilco charge $15 a ticket because that is what their market value is.
You're actually wrong there. There market value isn't $15. I would estimate at the least $20-25 and thats without Elliott Smith opening. Wilco from I understand, sells out its shows to boot.

How much were tickets to ZOO TV arena shows? I know ZOO TV was much more expensive to produce than Elevation in terms of arenas. Just curious.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 05-03-2002).]
Old 05-03-2002, 07:28 PM   #47
War Child

Thing is you can't really complain about ticket prices when if you can't manage to get tickets ordered to see U2 you buy them for over double the price from someone selling their ticket.

Yeah I think it would be good if they were cheaper and I was at a Bob Geldof concert less than a month ago that cost 12 and it was a great concert but larger venues do cost more and at the end of the day if people are willing to pay great, if you think it's too much you don't have to.
Old 05-03-2002, 08:53 PM   #48
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Quote:
Originally posted by UV2001:
Thing is you can't really complain about ticket prices when if you can't manage to get tickets ordered to see U2 you buy them for over double the price from someone selling their ticket.

Yeah I think it would be good if they were cheaper and I was at a Bob Geldof concert less than a month ago that cost 12 and it was a great concert but larger venues do cost more and at the end of the day if people are willing to pay great, if you think it's too much you don't have to.
Right on!

Old 05-03-2002, 09:09 PM   #49
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by UV2001:

Just being a grouch. I'm aware that if its too much, then don't buy... but its still an issue. Haves and the have nots. I used to scoff/ mock the Stones for charging their absorbitant prices and well U2 is in the same boat now.

------------------
Old 05-03-2002, 10:02 PM   #50
Babyface

Scenario : "Got a U2 tix here...overpriced I think...who wants it?"

*Sees all the hands up in this room*
Old 05-04-2002, 03:49 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Was that Wilco show sold out? If it was then maybe that could go up to $20. Some bands may underprice their shows because a quick sellout brings more media coverage.

The Stadium part of ZOO TV was more expensive than Elevation, while the Arena part, adjusting for Inflation, was probably more expensive as well, but not by that much since stage, and number of trucks and personal, for both Arena tours was about the same. Only the video screens put Arena ZOO over Elevation.

But the band back in ZOO TV days was charging what they thought their market price was. Again, this is economics. This is a business. If the band does not make what they are worth, then someone else is going to. That is why all bands charge what their market value is. Otherwise, someone else is going to make the extra money you forgoe by having an underpriced ticket.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:44 PM   #52
The Fly

I thought U2's tickets were a bit too much this tour. I know on previous tours, they refused to raise ticket prices too much, and then didn't make much after the tour was over because of how many expenses the ZooTV and Popmart tours required. Then they do a stripped down tour, at least in comparison to the 90's tours, and ticket prices go up. I realise majority of really popular arena acts are going to charge a lot, sometimes more than U2, like Madonna or Paul McCartney, but on Bruce Springsteen's last tour, he only charged $37 and $67 for tix, and Bon Jovi charged $40-$75. If they can charge that than other performers can.

[This message has been edited by ericb (edited 05-05-2002).]
Old 05-05-2002, 11:06 PM   #53
The Fly

Remember ZooTV though? They were saved financially by clothing sales.

Also, I would hate to see what would happen if the ticket prices were lowered. It seems that quite a few would have been snapped up and resold for exhorbitant prices, even worse than Elevation's costs.

Old 05-06-2002, 01:24 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen both charged market price for their tickets. Few of Bon Jovi's shows actually sold out, so you could argue that Bon Jovi over charged. Scalpers did not make any serious money on Bon Jovi Bruce Springsteen sold out most of his shows but in the south and west, there were a few that failed to sell out which shows that he was charging near the market value. U2 sold out all its shows, but some sold slowly. That show they hit the nail on the head when it came to charging the right price. Remember, if you don't make what your worth, scalpers or others will. Its economics, supply and demand. If U2s next tour is in Arena's, I expect it to be even more expensive than Elevation.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:47 AM   #55
The Fly

If U2 dramatically lowered ticket prices - say, to $40 across the board - what that would do, would be to massively increase the potential profits for scalpers while cutting the profits for those actually involved in the music process.

As a result, with higher profits to be made, scalpers would put even more effort into snapping up tickets at the lower prices, then re-sell them to fans at whatever the market will bear.

The solution to this, eventually, is that tickets will be sold on a 'bid' basis: they will start at a certain level, and prices will rise or fall based on volume.

It'll be the same thing as scalping, except it will be the arenas and bands making the profit. Or more of it, anyway.

If I'm going to pay $50 or $100 or whatever for a U2 ticket, I'd just as soon see U2 get the money, instead of Joe Scalper.