High Cost of Ticket Prices - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2002, 09:42 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:00 PM
I never really had a problem with the high ticket prices. IMHO, U2 IS worth the money!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Old 04-30-2002, 10:30 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Supply and demand. If you don't like the price, don't pay it. Pretty simple economics.
yep.

my friends just payed $45 each for Boston Bruins tickets, to see them Lose. at least we always win with U2.

------------------
"You just stretch it out and realise
a whisper can be louder than a scream." ~Bono

*U2TakeMeHigher*

Old 04-30-2002, 10:31 AM   #23
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
The worst problem is the scalpers and online brokers who manage to scarf up all the good tickets and force fans to pay really ridiculous amounts of money! They even pay people to stand in line! THIS is what is out of hand, but again, as long as the fans pay, they will keep charging. No one is willing to cut off their nose to spite their face and boycott these crooks long enough to run them out of business. I know I wasn't. I bought U2 GA's from them because it was the only way I could score. All the GA's were sold before I could even get through to ticketmaster.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:21 PM   #24
Refugee

Prices for Popmart here in Mexico city were between $60 to $200, the result? sold out in 2 hours.
I agree with manda, the argument that they were afraid of not making money touring latinamerica or Oz is not valid, actually, they only time I think U2 lost money, was when they toured USA for Popmart.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:22 PM   #25
The Fly

Location: Boston, which seems way too far from Dublin right now...and that has absolutely nothing to do with U2
Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Other bands which are much smaller and dont charge the big prices. If they can come, why can't U2?
I think you just answered your own question. They're a lot smaller, don't need the U2-sized (and technologically advanced) setup to put on a show fit for an arena/stadium. Plus I would venture to guess that the personnel behind the tour, being veterans to U2 tours, cost a pretty penny or two.

I think it'd be a PR nightmare to have Bono get up to promote an Australian tour and try to justify the prices like he did here. Sure, you can say "if you don't like the prices, don't pay them" but go back in time to Dec 2000 - Jan 2001 and read the posts on these very forums about the ticket prices. Or even during the tour when people said their $130 ticket was really located in a $85 section. C'mon! Some of you have very short memories! It wasn't until we (collectively) realized what a score the GA seats were that we shut up about it.

Old 04-30-2002, 12:51 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

you can thank the monoply that is ticketmaster for this lovely conveniance of high ticket prices.

ask thom what he thinks about that.

------------------
-deathbear
Old 04-30-2002, 12:58 PM   #27
War Child

Location: 21 Duke Street Dublin eating a gorgonzola sandwich!
Local Time: 11:00 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Mccartney one of the richest men in the world?Can't he afford to give his fans a little break in prices for tickets.I am not a fan of his though so.....whatever!!!
Old 04-30-2002, 03:33 PM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
ask thom what he thinks about that.
or Vedder and co.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:45 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

But Fugazi can't play arena's.
Old 04-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #30
Refugee

Local Time: 01:00 AM
My first reaction was that the tickets were expensive (the US price). But somehow I also agreed with Bono that they ARE worth it. And most tickets didn't have the highest price and the best were the cheapest, GA.

When I look at my tickets stubs it says on Zoo TV -93, 25 dollars, Popmart -97, 37 dollars and Elevation 01, 42 dollars. All GA's. That doesn't sound like a strange development for me.
Here the prices for Elevation ranged from 32 dollars to 60, GA were 42. To see a national swedish band/artist you have to pay app 30-45 dollars. Some times more, some times less. (the prices ex for the ABBA tribute range from 30-70 dollars and that without even knowing what artist are gonna perform)

I would like to put it this way.
The tickets are not expensive, but it's alot of money. They get expensive first when you pay it and don't think it's worth it or rather would have spent it on something else. Alot of money is it when it dig holes in your pocket but you would gladly do it again.
So for me it would be expensive to pay 10 dollars to see a soccergame, but to pay 100 dollars to see U2 would just be alot of money, never expensive.

And since they sold out every single show, obviously they ARE worth the prices.

------------------
"U2 on its own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with its audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:00 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

How many of you actually got tickets for the Elevation tour by standing in line, or calling TicketMaster, or logging in?

For small but extremely popular events like the shows on the Elevation tour, scalpers and ticket agencies scoop up large chunks of tickets before they are even available to the general public and sell them at market price.

It'd be better if U2 and other bands charged fair market price for tickets. That way they'd be making the profits instead of these ticket agency parasites who don't perform any real labor.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #32
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
How many of you actually got tickets for the Elevation tour by standing in line, or calling TicketMaster, or logging in?

For small but extremely popular events like the shows on the Elevation tour, scalpers and ticket agencies scoop up large chunks of tickets before they are even available to the general public and sell them at market price.

It'd be better if U2 and other bands charged fair market price for tickets. That way they'd be making the profits instead of these ticket agency parasites who don't perform any real labor.

That's what I was trying to say. How do those crooks get all the tickets, someone on the inside must be in on it. You're right, the bands might as well hike prices to make it harder for the scalpers to get and sell them, but the fans will always be the ones to suffer. It makes me sick to think how much money those crooks made off U2. I bet it makes the bad angry too.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:01 AM   #33
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
you can thank the monoply that is ticketmaster for this lovely conveniance of high ticket prices.
I don't think Ticketmaster has much to do with high ticket prices. They add ridiculously high service charges, but its promoters and bands who are responsible for the ticket's base price.
If you want to place blame, the monopoly that is Clear Channel/SFX is a better place to point the finger.

Old 05-01-2002, 02:16 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:00 PM
The most shocking thing I find in this thread is that the Stones are going to tour in 2002.

That's scary.

You know what's weird, a band like Fugazi can play clubs and colleges and only charge 7 dollars for a ticket. But would they get away with charging that much if they played arenas? I doubt it.

You know what's also weird, ring side tickets for a WWF pay per view event like Wrestlemania were running up to $1,000 dollars a few years ago because it was hugely popular.

That's insane, but a fine example of that supply and demand thing.

You think if our economy gets worse will we see a decline in concert attendance, kind of like what happened in the early 90's?

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.
Old 05-01-2002, 03:46 AM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 01:00 AM
Quote:
*raises hand*

I saw 13 shows and only paid overprice to two of them. One of them was Slane which I traded for two tickets I had been waiting in line to get but didn't need.

The rest I either bought myself after waiting in line in the freezing cold for hours or online when they released extras or from fans for face value. Once I bought from scalpers, messy Montreal May 27th show.

I also bought way more tickets then I needed to the shows here and helped fans around the world that couldn't buy online, so they didn't need to buy from scalpers. *saint*

I must say that we also have the problem of scalpers paying people to be in line to get the best tickets.

Ok, that was a sidenote in the discussion.

Old 05-01-2002, 06:49 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Went to 5 shows...1 courtesy of Prop., 1 my friend got tix (online from TM), 1 I got at Fleetcenter box office night of show, 2 I got thru ticketmaster.

As for brokers getting tix before the public, that's not generally the case (except in a few instances where some back door deals have taken place, I believe Denver had a big scandal as did Jones Beach, NY). I've seen the brokers at work at onsales. They bring a crew to stand in line.(I even saw a guy years ago bus in a big group from the Pine Street Inn, and give them $20 apiece to stand in line for Bowie tix). They also tend to have automated dialers on their phones and top of the line computers and high speed internet access. In short most of them know all the ins & outs of acquiring tix, and use and abuse any way to get them in bulk. Some are reasonable, and others are outrageous. I avoid them, cause I always think I can get stuff on my own, and often (not always) can.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:40 PM   #37
The Fly

Location: Boston, which seems way too far from Dublin right now...and that has absolutely nothing to do with U2
Quote:
All online for 10 out of 11, exception being Hartford, which I got through that U2tour place that had the packages with tix and party.

Old 05-01-2002, 04:23 PM   #38
The Fly

Quote:

Only seats. NO GA.

------------------
When you stop taking chances and stay where you sit you won't live any longer but it'll feel like it!
Old 05-01-2002, 07:12 PM   #39
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by zooropamanda:
Yes, I agree exactly about what you've said about popmart. Maybe they didnt make enough money because some shows didnt sell out. But Elevation is nothing in comparison cost wise, so it just makes no sense to me.
I totally agree with this too. I know that the Australian dollar is really weak right now, but Popmart was so unbelievably expensive to stage, like you say, Manda, Elevation was way cheaper. You would think it would sort of even out.

If we're all going to whine and moan a bit I have to say that it was a little annoying for me to pay $85 for a seat that was a long way from the stage (though a great view, and at least it was GM Place instead of the cavernous BC Place) while my friends paid $45 for seats that were kind of to the side of the stage (not GA) and were really quite a bit closer. I wanted GA but they sold out instantly. We had a better view of the whole "show," the screens and everything, but still it seemed weird. It was almost like the $85 tickets were the worst. I can't really complain because it was just a marvelous show, but still. Also, the comments by the band about how the older people who wanted a seat to sit in were "subsidizing" the younger people and huge fans who wanted to stand, it annoyed me a bit because I would really have liked to be down on the floor and I'm sure there were people on the floor who were not as big U2 fans as I am.

My other bit of whining and moaning is the merchandise--so unbelievably expensive! At other concerts I'd been to, the standard for programs was $20 Canadian, for instance. At U2 it was $30. Ouch. I didn't even buy a t-shirt as I had planned to because on principle (silly principles! ) I didn't want to pay that much.

However, the Aussies may be interested to know that next week I'm going to see a band I love, in a small venue, at a price that seems cheap by today's standards ($50 Canadian)--Midnight Oil!! Woo hoo!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out
Old 05-01-2002, 07:25 PM   #40
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
It was almost like the $85 tickets were the worst.
You are so right. I had every type of seat for the Elevation tour at various venues and the $85 were consistently the worst (still I'm not complaining). The other thing that irked me about tickets/prices was that before the first leg shows went on sale, there was this big mystery about the different types of tickets, which seats were where, etc...I know personally for the first few shows I bought tix for, I got the $85 ones to play it safe and I wasn't sure what the deal would be with GA. Had I known what the setup was, I would have tried or traded for GA for every show. Luckily for other people, by the second and third legs it was common knowledge.