Hidden Messages in Vertigo video ... ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm trying to translate, but I can't spanish -- but I'm italian... similar language.

In this pic, there's nothin hidden, a part for the fact Bono's not there. "For now I don't disturb and I don't play.

In this pic, Bono rises an occult ring

In this pic, Larry rises a shirt with occult eye and an hidden message
I think the message says "DO NOT ATTEMPT TO C******CATE AN WASTE PRODUCT"
And he rises a square with girls' pics.

In this pic, the famous cross rises. we're gonna talk about this

In this pic 2 things rise: the TECHAO (dunno!) of HQ with branches and all

Y la puñetera bombilla al estilo "in your room" de Depeche Mode, que es la que da el efecto cegador.

In this pic we see Adam (aka linoleo), a of christian crosses, as for the edge.
En esta foto vemos a adam (aka linoleo), y fijaros atras, un

In this pic we see the jew symbol of god connected with the word IS and the christian crosses

In this pic, we see the muslim symbol of god connected with a spot and then the jew symbol of "soon" (not sure of this part)

In this pic we see the whole phrase. you can interpret the spot as the word "o"

muslim god and jew god and christian god

GOD OR GOD IS GOD.

This is written over a door

In this pic you see edge, you see the reloy (dunno!) of Edge, he rises it in his left hand

another time next to Larry's shirt

again god or god is god.

stop occult messager, I think some comes from edge...

You know what...in all seriousness this raises some really interesting questions for me. I just checked out the link and I'm am really surprised there was so much stuff I didn't pick up on. At first I thought Edge's shirt was just a nice looking shirt...now I'm seeing a sense of deliberateness. The different God symbols really intrigue me as well as those occult rings. What do the occult rings specifically symbolize, does anyone know?

I'm kinda seeing Vertigo in a slightly different light now. Maybe the vertigo is a sense of dizzyness in trying to discover the real Creator in a mass of so many man-made images of God. Bono could be crying out to God in the lyric, "Hello hello...I'm in a place called Vertigo".

In this part: Your head can't rule your heart
A feeling so much stronger
Than a thought
It could be talking about that "God-shaped hole" everyone has in there heart. The idea of grace is very hard for even a believer to accept...it seems almost too good to be true. But yet you feel incomplete without it.

About the girl w/Jesus round her neck: Why can't he stand the beats? Maybe because he is feeling so suffocated and trapped by his struggles with the concept of the true nature of God he feels he needs to escape and then he runs into that girl. Like a sign perhaps? :eyebrow:

The more I look at it now I really see a central character coming out of Vertigo. I think I see what the characters internal struggle is as well as the outcome. This is really exciting to me...I could be going down a road alone on this one but the signifigance just slapped me in the face and left a welt.

Last edited:
I've always thought the ring is a symbol of belonging to something, of perfection and everlasting thing.
It's not a great interpretation, thoug

nothing occult at all.

The ring on Bono's finger is a signet ring.
The crosses on Edge's shirts, are just that.
The circular ones appear to be Celtic.

There is definately a lot going on in that video. And here I thought it was just a
rocking tune, at first. :)
I never noticed the symbol for Allah,
then Star Of David, then the "is" Celtic Cross before!
Yep...there's probably more stuff in there
with more meanings I bet.

stars, you're definitely on the right path on "Vertigo".:wink:

Yes - this song is about the inner struggle of the singer to find his way out of Vertigo - the dizzying place in the human spirit where one encounters all the temptations of this world and all of the various ways presented to man/woman to get out of Vertigo (the different religions of the world).

The temptations are great and the choices to be made how to get out of Vertigo can overwhelm, leaving the singer STUCK IN THE MOMENT and not able to WALK ON to the Light of Love and Tranquility. :ohmy:

What Bono is singing of is his feeling of elation at having found his way out of Vertigo possibly by choosing the way (the religion) which is right for him.

While I think it is interesting that all these religious symbols appear in the video, I hope there will not be people who will overreact and think that U2 is advocating for the occult, which many people associate with Satan.

If anything, Vertigo is a SONG OF CELEBRATION of being on the path out of Vertigo and leaving all traces of Satan behind.:angel:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Yeah, and the girl is dancing and carefree.... Kinda like a visual choice, the character has a oppurtunity to choose love in all its expressions (spiritual and earthly) and that will bring about wholeness....

Jamila said:

While I think it is interesting that all these religious symbols appear in the video, I hope there will not be people who will overreact and think that U2 is advocating for the occult, which many people associate with Satan.

If anything, Vertigo is a SONG OF CELEBRATION of being on the path out of Vertigo and leaving all traces of Satan behind.:angel:

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

I've seen the still frames from the video with all the religious symbols. I think it's brilliant to have them there side by side. Making the point that God by any other name is still the same. Religion is a tool, to help you relate to God. It should not be what drags you further from him through hate or intolerance.
U2 gets it.

What occult type things are you referring to? What I'm I missing?:scratch:

Back
Top Bottom