HEY GUITAR PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2002, 08:16 AM   #41
The Fly

Local Time: 03:13 PM
I think U2 songs are generally quite easy to play rythm wise.

I also know that Edge loves to play quite a few of his solos all along the same string.
I believe he plays a lot of his solos along the B string.

Every U2 song is in standard tuning too (EADGBE)which makes them simple to play and very easy to learn.

Probably my favourite song to play would be Until The End Of The World. I also love Desire and Mysterious Ways because they are so simple, yet so brilliant.

Old 03-22-2002, 08:27 AM   #42
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:13 AM
mikal!!!!!!!

Come back!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Old 03-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #43
The Fly

Local Time: 01:13 AM
My favourites include:
One (the first one I learned)
Streets
Bad
Desire
Pride
Walk On
Kite
Stuck
Until The End of the World
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Old 03-22-2002, 01:41 PM   #44
War Child

Local Time: 05:13 AM
All I Want Is You; the Electric Co. (though not very well); Out of Control; Bad

Also, i like to play the coda on Walk to the Water and the solo on If You Wear That Velvet Dress.

I'd like to be good enough some day to play as subtly as Edge does on Promenade...
Old 03-24-2002, 03:49 PM   #45
Refugee

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Happy Birthday...it's all I can play so far

------------------
"Whenever you see this kind of darkness, there is an extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter." -Bono

"Why doesn't anyone molest him?" -My mom, when Bono was walking through the crowd at the halftime show

u2er@u2email.com
Old 03-24-2002, 04:07 PM   #46
I Serve Larry's Stick

Local Time: 12:13 AM
I can play WOWY on my bass...well sort of. lol *can't wait til lessons in May*
Old 03-25-2002, 12:02 PM   #47
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Post By Badyouken
n ISHFWILF, I don't know why they play
e--------------------------------4-----------
b-----5-5-5-----5---------5-5-5----5---------
g--2----------2-----2---2--------------------
d--------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------

When it's so easier to play
e-----0-0-0-----0---------0-0-0--4-0---------
b--------------------------------------------
g--2----------2-----2---2--------------------
d--------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------
It's actually easier to play it the first way you mentioned. Plus the tone sounds way better then the second way.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...
Old 03-25-2002, 03:57 PM   #48
Babyface

I'm an acoustic player, mostly, so it always pisses me off that U2 doesn't do "Unplugged" or the Bridge School Concert.

That said, a lot of U2 songs sound great acoustic. Some, they have done in concert, like SBS, which I almost think is better than the original if the drums weren't so damn cool. SBS was the first song I ever performed live (a coffee house, open mic, twenty people, glorious!). "ISHFWILF" I play with G and C/G to give it a Dylan-esque/folksy feel.

Others, I've had to figure out on my own. I got "Please" down after I heard the Elvis Costello version, and it actually sounded pretty close to what the Edge ended up doing live in Baltimore later. Believe it or not, I think UTEOTW sounds darker and punctuates more when stripped down. "In God's Country" is another one I love, and "Mysterious Ways" is great for that "I can't believe he's playing MW acoustic" shock value I try not to make it sound like George Michael's "Faith," but hey, it's fun no matter what. I also arranged HMTMKMKM, which surprised me more than others by how well it worked.

The two I really want to learn are "Drowning Man" and "Pride." I tried DM with just chords and no harmonics, and it sounds banal (and is too high for me anyway). I need to change harmonics more quickly before I can pull that one off. Damnit, I can HEAR in my mind what a good acoustic Pride would sound like but I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! Electric fingerings are usually a good starting point for acoustic arrangements, but not in this case. AUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

On a side note, I think guitar-wise my tastes have regressed. When I first started two years ago, I dove right into all the hard stuff, like Clapton, Nick Drake, and George Harrison. Now, you know who I love to play the most? DYLAN. The easiest guitar player EVER. Once you learn G, C, and D, that's 80% of his songs. And yet, he's still a frickin' genius. DAMNIT DYLAN, WHY DO YOUR SIMPLE ASS SONGS HAVE TO BE SO DAMN GOOD??!! Pretty soon, I won't be able to bend or slide, I'm sure

[This message has been edited by Auxtung Beibi (edited 03-25-2002).]
Old 03-25-2002, 05:48 PM   #49
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Badyouken:
In ISHFWILF, I don't know why they play
e
The reason is that the Edge lets all the notes ring out to give it that lush thick vibrant tone, and so it wouldn't work if he played two of the notes on the same string.

On a separate notes, I can't believe no-one has mention my favourite on to play - BULLET THE BLUE SKY! This is my favourite, becuase there's so much you can do with it. There's so many different ways of playing it. You can play the bluesy Joshua Tree way, you can play the electric Zoo TV version, the bouncy playful Popmart Way, or the angry passionate Elevation way (the latter being my favourite). + the solo is to die for.

Other great ones to play - Gone, Love is Blindness, WTSHNN, Bad.

I don't like to play pride, because I'm crap, and I always hit the D string when I try to play the riff.

Beautiful Day is lush too. And stay - gorgeus. Acoustic Desire can be fun. Elevation is good, but the sounds the Edge gets are very specific and hard to emulate. until the End of the World is a good one.

Does anyone have the faintest idea how the Edge plays stuff like Mofo, Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay for your crashed car?

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html
Old 03-25-2002, 07:54 PM   #50
Acrobat

Auxtung Beibi, you have to tell me how you play Until the End of the World & Mysterious Ways with an acoustic! I can't believe it even sounds decent!

Tell me!

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)
Old 03-26-2002, 10:52 AM   #51
The Fly

My faves are:

Walk On
UTEOTW
Electric co
Bad
Streets

But the best 2 are:

11 o'clock tick tock
A day without me

Oh and In god's Country is pretty cool (the first song I learnt on the guitar...)

jules.
Old 03-26-2002, 01:23 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Badyouken:
In ISHFWILF, I don't know why they play
e
because its easier and u dont have to move your fingers at all, all you do is pick ur way through it, whilst in your way your forced to move your left hand fingers.

I PLAY ONE.....

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me