Help with Love... ASAP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

broshere

The Fly
i recently found out that a life-long friend of mine who i have a mad crush on is now a U2 fan. i told her i would make her a tape of various songs. i have 2 tapes 110 minutes each. Please help me with the set lists. i have all there cd's, singles, and a lot of bootlegs. please respond asap because i want to get this to her asap. thanks everyone!!!

So, does that mean you want their sappier love songs, then?
wink.gif

With Or Without You
Luminous Times
Walk to the Water
Everlasting Love
Sweetest Thing
In a Little While
Wild Honey
Ultra Violet
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Do You Feel Loved
Two Hearts Beat As One
Heartland

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Well, Sweetest Thing would be an obvious choice. I've always thought Ultraviolet was romantic. Don't go with All I Want is You, it might look sappy. If you wear the Velvet Dress, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, and So Cruel are sexy. If you want something more edgey, I think Spanish Eyes is romantic. Depending on your relationship with her, Wild Honey could be charming. And Mysterious Ways would be cute.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

------------------
Who's gonna ride your wild horses?

Won't you kiss me on that MIDNIGHT STREET, sweep me OFF MY FEET, singing 'ain't this life SO SWEET?' -David Gray

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Here are some songs that I think would be good for the casual fan:

In A Little While
Stay (live from Toronto)
With or Without You (live from R&H)
Wild Honey
Stuck in a Moment(acoustic version)
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Everlasting Love
ISHFWILF (from R&H)

Good Luck!
smile.gif

well she lives in florida and im in ohio. im moving there this summer and we both said if we were closer in miles we'd be together. im just tyring to come up with the best example of how powerful U2 are. Ive been a life long fan and she is a new one.

Hmmmmnn, What would I want on a U2 mixed Cd from a guy???

In a Little While
With or Without You
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Trip Through Your Wires
Love is Blindess
Dancing Barefoot
Two Hearts Beat as One
Angel of Harlem
All I Want is You
Hallelujah Here She Comes
Grace
Slow Dancing

...and if you have it.... 'I've Got You Under My Skin' by Bono and Frank Sinatra..... that is the song of seduction If there ever was one.

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

ive got you under my skin and two shots of happy are a must. but i am going to cover all U2 not just love songs. that is why this is confusing. here is what i have so far
1. elevation (tomb raider mix)
2. with or without you
3. Kite (with intro of the song by bono at
notre dame)
4. Until the end of the world
5. In God's Country
6. Stay (Live from Toronto)

any songs not to include?
i was thinking maybe "lemon"
i was thinkin of puting in "ground beneath her feet" either the studio version or a live acoustic one. which should i do?

"all my life ive worshiped her, her golden voice.........................

I've never had the pleasure of hearing The Ground Beneath Her Feet live, so I am not sure how the acoustic version sounds. However, I really love the song myself.

Here's a few other suggestions.

Stuck In A Moment (also consider the acoustic version)
Numb (a little on the odd side, but shows her what variety U2 has in their music)
Discotheque
The Playboy Mansion
Staring at the Sun
The Fly
Beautiful Day (a MUST)
Zooropa
Walk On (also a must!)
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Running To Stand Still
Bullet the Blue Sky
New Year's Day

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Throw in the Bad/40/Streets combo from the Elevation Tour. If that doesn't wow her, then nothing will!
biggrin.gif

A few more suggestions:

October
One (live from Irving Plaza becuase it has a snippet of "Walk On")
Definitely the acoustic version of Ground...

Hmmm no one has mentioned "Please" I'd put that on the tape. It's so powerful. Maybe even "Please/Streets" from the Popheart EP.

Definately "Ground Beneath Her Feet" but I'd opt for the album version and I believe "Walk On" is a must.

For 80's stuff--> "Unforgettable Fire" and obviously "Bad".

Don't want to bombard her with just greatest hits.
wink.gif

Let us know what you choose!

Who needs romance ?

"hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me"

Thank you for your time.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

2x 110 minute tapes of U2 songs!!!
You can't go wrong really. She's going to L O V E it.
We love weddings around here...well we better let you get to Florida first
smile.gif

These are all great and please keep all suggestions comming. i am going to make the first tape tomorrow night.

what do you all think about "babyface" or "acrobat" '

WHAT WOUDL BE A GOOD OPENER FOR THE TWO TAPES?

What are you trying to do with this tape - woo her, impress her with U2 material or impress her with your knowledge of U2 material?

If it's the first item, then obviously more romantic songs (not that U2 makes that many of them) should be considered. Many people here have already listed them, so I won't repeat those.

If it's the second item, I suggest creating a tape (or a CD - a CD is far more impressive than a tape, so I recommend that if possible) of not only U2's most popular tracks but some that you consider your favorites. Therefore, consider your favorites on the first "Best Of" album and then consider your favorites of the 90's and 00's era. This will give her a good sampling of U2 throughout their 20 year history.

If it's the third item, then I would suggest you choose not only a few popular songs (songs she most likely heard at some time) but some of the rare songs, like b-sides and special releases (like "Night and Day", the Robbie Robertson work, The Passengers material, some of Bono's solo songs, some of Edge's solo work, "Mission Impossible", etc.). If she already knows the "big hits" then making a tape (CD) of those songs may be nice, but fruitless. Making a tape (CD) with "rare songs" shows her that you really know U2 and that you went to extra effort to make this tape (CD) for her. The trouble is with this third choice is that it may also alienate her just a bit. She may be SO unfamiliar with U2 that hearing these rare songs might be a little too much too soon.

Therefore, my recommendation?

Make a pseudo-greatest hits tape (CD), throw in a few "rare" songs that are great, but that she probably hasn't heard, and keep things light yet slightly romantic. Try to include songs from all of U2's eras.

Potential Track-listing:
  1. Elevation
  2. Hold Me...Kill Me
  3. I Will Follow
  4. Gloria
  5. Pride
  6. I Still Haven't Found...
  7. Beautiful Day
  8. Staring at the Sun
  9. Stay
  10. With or Without You
  11. All I Want Is You
  12. Night and Day
  13. Walk On (Hallelujah version)
  14. One
  15. Ground Beneath Her Feet
  16. Miss Sarajevo
  17. One Tree Hill
  18. Angel of Harlem
  19. Desire
  20. Mysterious Ways
    [/list=a]

You'll note that I start off with faster songs, slow down to the more serious slower-paced songs (some of which are romantic), but then pick up the pace again at the end (so that she doesn't fall asleep while listening to the CD! LOL!).

I would only make one tape (or two CDs) at this point. See what she thinks of this. If she's "ga-ga" over it, then proceed with more tapes (CD's), and become really creative!

Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 03-27-2002).]

Originally posted by broshere:
Thanks "what do you guys think of ms. sarajevo'?

Well, as evidenced by my list above, I think you should include it.

It's a very elegant song. Pavarotti's solo is stunningly beautiful. Bono wrote the words he sings. They were translated into Italian, perhaps to sound more romantic, beautiful or operatic. But even in English, those words are amongst Bono's best - pure lyical poetry. What the song means, what it represents and how it's performed make it a very powerful, yet beautiful song - and one that she's probably not heard.

Also, as a tidbit, the proceeds from that song were sent to help Bosnian children.

Definitely include it. Heck, just make a tape (CD) of the songs I had in my list. Yes, listen to me. It's all about me here.
wink.gif

KEEP COMMING UP WITH GREAT IDEAS !!! ALSO IF I DO A TAPE OF CD IM GOING TO MAKE A COVER FOR THE TWO AND I WAS WONDERING WHAT U2 PICS SHOULD I USE. OR EVEN NON U2 PICS SUCH AS A LANDSCAPE OF IRELAND OR SOMETHING?

If you want here to see the true romantic in you

you need to have

Exit
Bullet the blue sky
Wake up dead man
MOFO
Until the end of the world
Sunday Bloody sunday
Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me

(please don't do this)

if she doens't run screaming...she's yours!

I would choose When the Starts Go Blue. Don't leave Walk to the Water out of it...neither Heartland...nor Promenade...well, the others I would pick are already listed above. Good luck with whatever intentions you have
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom