Help me win this argument...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baker6621

War Child
U2 vs. Tool

Message sent to me:

1.You are legally retarded. Did you even read what I said?
First things first: Tool has been successful for about six years, when Aenima came out. That sold four million copies. Get your facts straight.

But the point is, you contradicted yourself. BEING SUCCESSFUL DOESN'T MAKE A BAND GREAT. Judging by your statement of "U2 is better than Tool because they're more successful," U2 licks the shit off of NSYNC's balls, simply because NSYNC is more popular.

Secondly...I think it's badass that Tool isn't amazingly popular. Not that U2 sold out, because they didn't. But the fact that NOBODY SOUNDS LIKE TOOL (don't reply giving me bullshit bands). They have their own distinct sound. One note sung from Maynard...one snare shot from Danny Carey and I kow it's Tool.

The fact that EVERY TIME I bring up a band I love you have to compare them to the God-like U2 is sad. Let other people have their opinions. Yeah, U2 is successful as hell. Yeah, they're pretty influential. But they will NEVER be the world's greatest band. How about The Beatles, who invented rock? Or Hendrix? Pink Floyd? And just because they're successful doesn't mean everybody in the world has to love them. TOOL RULE.

2. How is the band more musically talented? From the music they play. Simple as that. I GUARANTEE if you download the song Lateralis by Tool, you'll blow your mind trying to follow the complex arrangements and ostinatos of the song. The fact when I saw them live, they played that song and other songs like it FLAWLESSLY and EXACTLY how they sound on CD is ridiculous. They use absolutely ZERO enhancement or mixing on their CD; all sounds you hear are the band. Although U2 plays good music, be realistic. It's pop music. It's not hard to play. All songs are in typical 4/4 time signature, and I can play EVERYTHING Larry Mullen plays.

As for the singers...I'll have to say Bono is more influential and he is a tremendous songwriter; however, if there's one person who captivates me with their lyrics, it's Maynard. Even you shit your pants over how metaphoric and complex they are. Hey Jordan...how about the lyrics to Stinkfist? Or Schism? Jordan online said, "what else could 'Stinkfist' possibly mean than a fist up your ass?" He read the lyrics and he was VERY impressed! Maynard has each song flow through your body as a different emotion. And the fact that when I saw them live, Maynard didn't say A WORD until the last song of the show (hew said a sentence) and the fact that the band stood there and did nothing but play their music is amazing. I heard the loudest standing ovation I've ever heard for Tool, and they just played music. They believe music about the art and creation, and not about the entertainment value, which I think fucking rocks.

Danny Carey is regarded as one of the WORLD'S best drummers. He is one of the most complex drummers out there. And don't try to argue this against a guy who's playing for eleven years...you won't win. So again...TOOL RULE! And keep in mind that I'm not dissing U2; they're really good and I enjoy their music. But for you to diss Tool, especially without knowing anything about them, is sad.

I replied:

1.A band's popularity OBVIOUSLY does count towards something. Is it everything? NO. But it's something. The world's most popular bands have usually been the best...The Beatles, The Doors, Zepllin, all the way down the line to U2. So yeah, popularity and being sucsessful OBVIOUSLY counts. Not 100% but yes, something.

"U2 licks the shit off of NSYNC's balls, simply because NSYNC is more popular"

Really? Is NSYNC more popular than U2? That fact is complete and utter BULLSHIT. U2 is 100 times more popular. Yeah, maybe in year's past they sold more records than U2 in the U.S. This year they didn't even come close and U2 beat them out. Not to mention the WORLD, where U2 dominates. The U.S. is not U2's biggest market, Europe is. So you're wrong about that, as U2's album has sold 10 million worldwide and NYSNCS not even close.

"They have their own distinct sound. One note sung from Maynard...one snare shot from Danny Carey and I kow it's Tool"

Yeah, you can say that about any band you idiot. How could you not recgonize other bands like Zepp and Pink Floyd,. and U2. Yeah they have a cool sound, different, but so do many other bands.

I never said TOOL SUCKED, I know they are REALLY good, and its MY PERSONAL prefrence. I could like GOSPEL music and its all the same thing. Anyways, you don't have to like U2 if you don't want to, who's forcing you too, but at least RESPECT what they've done and what they will continue to do...............

He's about to respond again. I wanna make some good direct points. Help me out! I can do it myself but help from you would be great....thanks U2 rules.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Holy FUCK!
eek.gif

well I have never heard of the group Tool, but they sound like a bunch of 'Screws' to me.

Yeah whatever.

Tool sounds different than other bands but there is no way you can compare them or say they are better than U2.

Boo to that guy.

headshake.gif

------------------
Spacejunk Coming In For The Splash

Sicy's Website

tool is good, probably not everybody's cup of tea but they are very good.

nothing next to U2.

------------------
i'm a reasonable man
get off my case

baker...this is an argument that will have no end. Tool has a fiercely loyal following, and it sounds like your combatant is among the most loyal.
I only know them from radio, don't own any Tool music (though I do have a decent set of tools
smile.gif
), so I can't help you with points to argue. Tool and U2 come from different sides of the coin, Tool's music is fairly dark, harder edged, and they do seem to be fairly talented.
Just ask him about Beavis' comment while watching the video for "Sober" when an animated character was waving his arm at 100MPH, Beavis said "If I could move my arm that fast I'd never leave the house."
It won't win any arguments, but might get a laugh.

Originally posted by baker6621:
U2 vs. Tool
They have their own distinct sound. One note sung from Maynard...one snare shot from Danny Carey and I kow it's Tool.

The same could be said of U2...or anyother band that one is familiar with to such an extent. That's just his opinion vs. yours.

TOOL RULE.

Yes.

How is the band more musically talented? From the music they play. Simple as that. I GUARANTEE if you download the song Lateralis by Tool, you'll blow your mind trying to follow the complex arrangements and ostinatos of the song. The fact when I saw them live, they played that song and other songs like it FLAWLESSLY and EXACTLY how they sound on CD is ridiculous. They use absolutely ZERO enhancement or mixing on their CD; all sounds you hear are the band. Although U2 plays good music, be realistic. It's pop music. It's not hard to play. All songs are in typical 4/4 time signature, and I can play EVERYTHING Larry Mullen plays.

Excellent points by him. FACT: Tool are have better musicianship than U2. Period. But virtuosity alone is useless. U2 and Tool both have an amazing ability to make incredible music that is very unique in its own way.

Danny Carey is regarded as one of the WORLD'S best drummers. He is one of the most complex drummers out there. And don't try to argue this against a guy who's playing for eleven years...you won't win. So again...TOOL RULE! And keep in mind that I'm not dissing U2; they're really good and I enjoy their music. But for you to diss Tool, especially without knowing anything about them, is sad.

Fact: Danny Carrey can make Larry cry when it comes down to skill and ability. Carrey is one of the most talented and musical drummers in music today. Larry is a great drummer when it comes to style and heart, but as for ability he is nothing special.

Bottom line: Tool is a great band in their own right, so is U2. They are a bit too different to objectively compare, especially when you are each fans of your respective band. You can't 'WIN', but you can accept that they are both amazing bands.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Medea. "And women, though most helpless in doing good deeds, are of every evil the cleverest of contrivers."

AIM: JuanSwallow

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 10-04-2001).]

I would end this arguement if I were you. It's kinda pointless. You like tool and he likes u2. You love u2, and he loves tool. The end. If you want to make them a fan for life of the band you love, don't trash theirs!!! That never works! It drives them away! Just share your taste. Besides, tool IS amazing, and while they may never have the influence u2 does, they are certainly worth respecting!

This is an unwinable argument.

U2 are an amazing band.

Tool are an amazing band.

The fact that so many U2 fans are Tool fans has to tell you something doesn'y it? I mean, they play completely different kinds of music, how can you compare them.

Just enjoy both bands and stop quarrelling. 20 days until ELEVATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tkramer is completely right. Both sides are fanatics. This argument would only end up in verbal violence (is there such a term?).

My opinion: Tool is a band that over emphasizes the art aspect of music and they might have forgotten that music used to be just entertainment in the early days. Being entertainment need not end up in boygroup bullshit! U2 are a band with ambitions, but their music is also , err, acessable, which is one of their greatest strengths.

What worth is the art that nobody understands?
Remember Joseph Beuys

------------------
beLIEve

Originally posted by Rono:
hahhahahahhaaha, everyone knows we are objective here.

I was just going to say that two fanatics arguing with each other are never going to come to a concensus (sp?). And that's coming from a U2 fanatic...me!
biggrin.gif

I'm with Johnny on this one. I own Lateralis and have several older downloads. They are definately unique and great in their own right.

As far as talent alone, I'm sorry but if U2 is taken apart and each one had to do something alone I'm not quite sure all of them would survive. Together they are special, that's why they are band. And that's the music we enjoy, no one tries to listen to the drums alone, or the bass alone, or the guitar alone. That's ridiculous, so it's how all them come together.

For both bands these things come together extremely well. The music produced is different though so trying to compare it is like saying an apple taste better than a tomato. It's up to your taste.

-Marina

P.S. Tool is coming to LA soon, anyone in the area going?

Back
Top Bottom