Help convert me back to a U2 fanatic!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
After about 2 or 3 years of ONLY listening to U2, I discovered Coldplay in April, so I listened to U2 less, and became a little less obsessed. In August, my best friend introduced me to the Beatles, and now I hardly ever listen to U2. I feel really weird not being so obsessed with them, but I can't seem to make myself listen to them, even though U2 is still my favorite band. HELP!

I've gone through those stages with Radiohead, then Coldplay, then the Flaming Lips, and now Beck.

I still love U2, but it seems everyone goes through these phases sometimes.. it's natural. It'd be kind of creepy if you just were obsessed over one band forever.

i can't remember when I last heard U2

don't sell yourself short. get out there and listen to lots of more bands besides for u2

why would you want to be fanatical about any band? it's perfectly possible to like a ton of bands, and not ONLY listen to one. you can enjoy the music the same even if you dont' own every piece of u2-related merch or have heard absolutly every second of every single b-side or unreleased track.

don't try to make yourself listen to them, it could make you hate them. if you ever get interested in hearing a u2 album again, you'll suddenly feel like listening to one. then and only then should you put it into the cd player.

IT'S NOT BAD TO LISTEN TO OTHER BANDS.

Well, to really get back into them...put in the Boston DVD and play it loud......if not play Achtung Baby on repeat and ride the wave of emotion!

U2girl, here?s my suggestion: buy an U2 album... there are lots of them, I?m not sure you have them all.

But I agree with everybody here... I listen to lots of bands, like Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Radiohead and Coldplay. And sometimes I hardly ever listen do U2 but when I buy one of their albuns I return to be a fanatic...

Yep I go through music stages where i mainly listen to a band for a month or so like Radiohead, DMB, Coldplay, PJ Harvey, Fiona Apple,....etc It has gone round to U2 again for a while but I think my next stage is REM with the new album coming out!

It's a good thing not to get burned out on any band. Don't look at it as bands, just songs, and play the ones you want to hear. I'm sure U2 will find their way into your cd player. Plus, when the new album comes out I bet you'll get excited and be a bigger fan than ever! :yes: I think we all will!

Actually, its when I listen to acts like Radiohead and Coldplay that I get to appreciate U2 more. I realize how far they have to go to even come close to U2's level of musicality and artistry.

That's why I find it sickening to even try to listen to all the U2 wannabes of the world (Oasis, Coldplay, Live, Collective Soul, Audioslave, Third Eye Blind, Radiohead, The Hives, etc.). I'd rather hear music from the other end of the spectrum - more of what you'd call "shallow bubblegum music" like Avril Lavigne and Bon Jovi. As least they don't make any pretensions of trying to be the next U2 and they just do their own shallow superficial (but sweet) music, unlike those other new bands who try so hard to be deep and high-brow and artsy that they just look like U2 parodies in the end. No band can come close to U2's level of depth in music, and when bands try to emulate U2 - they just sound so boring. That's why U2 is the only U2-like music I choose to listen to.

So how do you convert yourself back to a U2 fanatic? Give your old U2 cd's a spin after your Coldplay cd's and you'll realize what a bad imitation of U2 they are.

Cheers,

J

I just realised I havent been listening to a lot of U2 myself of late. Juts Best of 90-00 on some odd occassions. I always use this off time to explore some new interests from music to arts.

Some new material again and I'll be hooked for another couple of years of "only U2"

I drifted away from U2 for about ten years, during their OTT 1990's era.

About a year ago, on another message board, someone mentioned ATYCLB. I'd replied that I liked U2 up 'til the Joshua Tree, but they got too weird. They answered, "If you loved JT, you'll like ATYCLB. Give it a try." So I did, and they were right. :) They'd found a happy medium between the earnestness of the 80's and the irony of the 90's, and they were wonderful again.

I also found out I wasn't the only one to have done that. So it is normal, to go through stages and phases in your likes and dislikes. Don't force yourself to listen to them if you don't really want to. When you really want to, then the music will be all that much sweeter. :)

Sue DeNym said:
I drifted away from U2 for about ten years, during their OTT 1990's era.

About a year ago, on another message board, someone mentioned ATYCLB. I'd replied that I liked U2 up 'til the Joshua Tree, but they got too weird. They answered, "If you loved JT, you'll like ATYCLB. Give it a try." So I did, and they were right. :) They'd found a happy medium between the earnestness of the 80's and the irony of the 90's, and they were wonderful again.

I also found out I wasn't the only one to have done that. So it is normal, to go through stages and phases in your likes and dislikes. Don't force yourself to listen to them if you don't really want to. When you really want to, then the music will be all that much sweeter. :)

Sounds a lot like my story! :)

I don't listen to U2 nearly as often as I used to, but I'll always love 'em because they were the first band I really dug.

My suggestion is to keep listening to the Beatles and start exploring more wonderful music you haven't heard (thanks to the Bang and the Clatter forum here, you won't even have to give up your beloved Interference). You'll get back to your U2 albums every now and then, and you'll still love them and, in fact, appreciate them more with more musical "experience," even if you don't listen to them nearly as often. It's a paradox, but it's true.

By the way, the Beatles fucking rock.

Oh, and jick, you git, explain how Audioslave are "U2 wannabes." A subpar Soundgarden tribute band, I can see, but U2 rip-offs is a stretch.

Last edited:
Enjoy other music while waiting on the next U2 album. I listened to practicallly 89% U2 about 2 years ago, from the time ATYCLB came out until Dec. 2001, when the tour ended. It majorly burned me out on them, but I would put Boy, or the Joshua Tree, or any of the other albums in from time to time.

It's natural not to listen to one band all the time. There's a ton of great music out there; think of this as a break to experience all of it! :)

I've been burned out for about a year or so from U2. Over that time I've gotten into many bands/genre's of music that I'd never really cared about before. Slowly yet surely, I'm getting back into U2. I'm sure once the new album comes out, we'll all be so psyched for it that we'll all listen to U2 24/7.

Dont worry about it, it's not really a big deal. For a while I almost felt guilty/bad that I never wanted to listen to U2. It's really not a big deal, dont sweat it.

typhoon said:
My suggestion is to keep listening to the Beatles and start exploring more wonderful music you haven't heard (thanks to the Bang and the Clatter forum here, you won't even have to give up your beloved Interference). You'll get back to your U2 albums every now and then, and you'll still love them and, in fact, appreciate them more with more musical "experience," even if you don't listen to them nearly as often. It's a paradox, but it's true.

:yes: Try other genres, too. I've been getting into blues, jazz (good jazz, not Kenny G!) and big band. I've experimented a bit with classical, folk, even country. There's a whole musical world out there that's fun to play in; staying with one group is like going to Disneyland and only riding one ride over and over. Go try new things and have fun, then when you come back to your favorite, it'll be that much better. :happy:

Well if you listen to some great bootlegs from JTT, ZooTV and Elevation then.... you just may go crazy about em again.

Oh and watch Exit from Rattle n Hum or UTEOTW from Best of DvD...

Funniest thing, U2girl91289, it was Achtung Baby which finished off U2 for me. Couldn't stand it, and have yet to listen to anything newer than Rattle & Hum since. Don't know why, but it just didn't work for me. Must have been bad karma.

yeblik said:
Funniest thing, U2girl91289, it was Achtung Baby which finished off U2 for me. Couldn't stand it, and have yet to listen to anything newer than Rattle & Hum since. Don't know why, but it just didn't work for me. Must have been bad karma.

Not bad Karma, just taste. U2 changed dramatically from Acthung Baby onward. I bet you'll be digging the new album. My best guess is that it'll be much more in-line with the guitar influence War album, with the experience and songwriting craftmanship of AB, Pop and ATYCLB.

U2girl91289, never fret with U2, you'll always come back.:wave:

i can honestly say that since i've found Radiohead, U2 will never sound the same to me.

i still love them and all, but i find Radiohead twice as fascinating.

I was always afraid to put another CD in for fear I would lose my thing for U2, but I am slowly getting past that. I have been listening to my dad's CDs lately. I have listened to the Cranberries, Nirvana, Alanis Morisette, Sting, 3 Doors Down.

I was looking through some of my dad's old tapes, and he had JT, AB, Under a Blood Red Sky, and UF.... I was excited.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Not bad Karma, just taste. U2 changed dramatically from Acthung Baby onward. I bet you'll be digging the new album. My best guess is that it'll be much more in-line with the guitar influence War album, with the experience and songwriting craftmanship of AB, Pop and ATYCLB.

Hey, I may just have to give it a spin!

Back
Top Bottom