Help/Advice on a U2 Roadtrip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonovation

The Fly
I know alot of you guys travel far and wide to see a U2 show and I was thinking of doing the same.

I'm seriously contemplating going to the States for the 3rd leg. I was thinking about cramming as many shows as poss into a week.

I've not done anything like this before and would appreciate and info/tips/help that anyone can provide.

eg,

the best way to get tickets (a rather key point
smile.gif
)

Are there packages that include hotel but allow you to make your own way to the show (I wanna queue for the heart if I manage to get GA's)

Any tips in general, useful websites, etc would be gratefully received.

Also if any other people from the UK are thinking of going, maybe we could group together.

Thanks

Tanya

hey bonovation!

well, last leg ETS offered packages that included 1 GA ticket plus hotel rooms. I never used them, though, so I can't really say much about price, etc.

I travelled from NY to London a few weeks ago to catch 2 Earl's Court shows, and then Slane 1. I went with 3 friends- we bought our tickets through scalpers (unfortunately), and then split really cheap hotel rooms.

Your best bet for the States might be to do the East Coast leg, because they have a lot of shows (3 NY, at least 1 Providence (maybe 2), and 1 Philadelphia) over the course of that week. (NY is Oct 24-28, Providence is Oct. 30/31, and Philly is Nov. 2) Plus, NY, Providence and Philly are really close to each other (within 1.5 hours by train) and you can take the train (if you're nervous about renting a car). Hopefully, I'll be at some of those shows (knock on wood!), so perhaps we can meet up!

Good luck planning your trip- I had an absolute BLAST in the UK, and I highly recommend taking a U2 road trip!!
smile.gif

Thanks for the swift and useful response Ally.

I may have seen you at Earls Court, I was there for all four shows (Heart queuing all day for three of them)

I'm really waiting for the official announcement on 11/09 before I decide. Initially I was thinking of the West Coast, mainly cos its my birthday 22/10 and I have some commitments already round that time. I could fly out 23rd though...*hmmm...thinking*

Glad you enjoyed the UK so much. Made me laugh though, apart from about 4 people, everyone else queuing around me were from overseas. Such devotion, so understandable
biggrin.gif

west coast would be fun, too! although, cities are a little further apart out there (ie, i think Oakland and LA are 5 hours apart by car). but if you did west coast shows, then you could go to VEGAS!!! i think a lot of people are planning on congregating in Vegas- it should be pretty crazy, especially if it's the last show in the US. well, either west coast or east coast, you can't go wrong if you're going to see U2. another consideration- if you're planning on lining up for GA, you might want to stick to the west coast- it's gonna be COLD on the east coast by the end of october!

i'm sure we met at london- my friends and i were doing the numbering for the 3rd and 4th shows. i was with awakening (aka, gabriella) and ruth (the girl who took charge of the numbers for the 4th show).
smile.gif

Good point about the weather, I hadn't even thought about that. I'll have to make sure I pack my thermal underwear.

I'm pretty damn sure I'd recognise you too if I saw you. I definately remember Gabriella (I carried some of her luggage for half of the Sunday queue session
biggrin.gif
) and Ruth.

The financial sides not such a problem (I earn money so I can spend it on U2)

Boyfriends (I think I remember you saying yours is a golden oldie too (my apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else here)), huh?!, there's a simple equation here:

U2 Love = 16 Years
Keith (my boyfriend) love - 8 Years

biggrin.gif

Actually my boyfriend's only concern is my safety. He doesn't like the idea of me being alone in a "strange" place (bless him).

If we could arrange to meet up for some of the time that would be so good. We could share some costs and, certainly on my part, I wouldn't have to be worried about getting lost the ENTIRE time.

I'd be happy to pay my way, be it financially, sharing the driving or whatever.

I think its almost a certainty that, whatever, I'll be coming over.....it has to be done, doesn't it

I got my single Phoenix seat from ebay at face value plus postage. Single seats can even be had from Ticketmaster on the afternoon they go on sale. I got one of my Anaheim shows that way. Single seats can be pretty good seats, too. I travel alone all the time and if you're careful (not stupid!), it's quite safe.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Originally posted by Bonovation:
The financial sides not such a problem (I earn money so I can spend it on U2)

Boyfriends (I think I remember you saying yours is a golden oldie too (my apologies if I'm confusing you with someone else here)), huh?!, there's a simple equation here:

U2 Love = 16 Years
Keith (my boyfriend) love - 8 Years

biggrin.gif

Actually my boyfriend's only concern is my safety. He doesn't like the idea of me being alone in a "strange" place (bless him).

If we could arrange to meet up for some of the time that would be so good. We could share some costs and, certainly on my part, I wouldn't have to be worried about getting lost the ENTIRE time.

I'd be happy to pay my way, be it financially, sharing the driving or whatever.

I think its almost a certainty that, whatever, I'll be coming over.....it has to be done, doesn't it

Yes, Bonovation, mine is a Golden Oldie
wink.gif
They can be so paternal sometimes (fasten your seatbelt, drive carefully, take your vitamins...) THey are so sweet.

I am so happy you made up your mind to come! I'm off to Paris next week and will be back on the 17th (which means I will most likely miss out on the ticket sales..i'll have to resort to those bloodsucking brokers again; ugh) but we should try to plan things out once the dates are set.

yay, Bonovation! (Hi Ally!) yes, please come to the States. I know it is a financial burden and might cause so tension at home (old fart boyfriends, right?
wink.gif
but this is a once in a lifetime thing.
I'm planning on going to some of the East coast shows, but I live in San Francisco so I am definetely going to the Oakland show(s).
We could maybe organize something like sharing hotel rooms or transportation (rental car, maybe? how 'bout it Ally....at least I drive better than Bono), plus, I promiose to be your personal valet for the extent of the trip!

Originally posted by awakening:
yay, Bonovation! (Hi Ally!) yes, please come to the States. I know it is a financial burden and might cause so tension at home (old fart boyfriends, right?
wink.gif
but this is a once in a lifetime thing.
I'm planning on going to some of the East coast shows, but I live in San Francisco so I am definetely going to the Oakland show(s).
We could maybe organize something like sharing hotel rooms or transportation (rental car, maybe? how 'bout it Ally....at least I drive better than Bono), plus, I promiose to be your personal valet for the extent of the trip!

woohoo! i'm up for it- as long as you promise we can go to Vegas, too!
wink.gif

seriously, though, i am definitely doing East Coast week (even though NYC tickets are going to be VERY difficult to get!), and hopefully OAKLAND and vegas, too! (right, awakening??) it would be awesome for you to meet up with us, bonovation! let's cross our fingers that we can get tickets somehow.... when there's a will (and a credit card!), there's a way!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Ally:
i'm sure we met at london- my friends and i were doing the numbering for the 3rd and 4th shows. i was with awakening (aka, gabriella) and ruth (the girl who took charge of the numbers for the 4th show).
smile.gif

Cool. My friend and I met you. Martina and Joanna from Toronto.
smile.gif

Originally posted by anitram:
Cool. My friend and I met you. Martina and Joanna from Toronto.
smile.gif

YES!! i remember you guys- you were at the much music special, right? and you told me all about the wonders of Hamilton, Ontario! cool... what a small little U2 world it is!
smile.gif

Oh, yeah, we were at Much Music.

I fondly remember Ruth's sandals falling apart before the show.
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom