Heartland Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a friend of mine just told me that she's heard rumors of another stop being added at Willow Creek in Chicago.

Yeah...I'm still waiting for more details on the Waterloo date-the time it starts, the place it'll be held...I wanna let my teacher know soon!

Someone on the U2 portion of the Forums 4 Fans boards had an article about this whole heartland visit posted...yesterday, I believe, and it said that they'd also stop in Dubuque as well (this is so cool...Bono's gonna be visiting my home state...I love that fact).

*Wishes that they'd visit the western side of the state...preferably the northwestern side...*

Angela

Not that this is that much more help, but it's from youtwo.net:
http://www.youtwo.net/news_archives.adp?newsid=22556

November 27, 2002
"Heart of America" Tour FAQs
A YouTwo.net Report

You may have read something about Bono and Ashley Judd traveling across "America's Heartland" to speak to
people about the AIDS crisis in Africa. Other than the three announcements about lectures at the University of
Nebraska-Lincoln, University of Iowa, and Wheaton College, very little information has been revealed about the
tour.

YouTwo.net spoke with representatives from the various organizations involved in the tour and have gathered
answers to the questions people have been asking.

Q: What's the "Heart of America" tour all about?
A: In both formal (university) and informal (churches, coffee houses) settings, Bono and Ashley Judd will be talking
about AIDS and poverty in Africa and what people in the Heartland can do to help.

Q: Is the tour private or public?
A: Except for the university lectures, all events are private and not open to the public. You must be affiliated with
the sponsoring host -- or be their guest -- to attend.

Q: Can I obtain a ticket to one of the university lectures?
A: Both the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and University of Iowa distributed all of the tickets to the lecture at their
respective school in a matter of minutes. Faculty, staff, and students were given priority access to the lectures.
Wheaton College reports that it will be following the same distribution process as the other two schools.

Q: Besides the lectures at the universities, is there any way I can learn about what Bono and Ashley Judd have
to say about Africa?
A: Several of the tour's scheduled stops will involve local Jubilee USA chapters (read Jubilee USA's press release).
If you live in one of the cities on the tour schedule and know there is a local Jubilee USA chapter, you should contact
that office for details about an event in your city.

Q: If I'm not affiliated with any of the universities where lectures are being given or with Jubilee USA, is there any
way I can experience the Heart of America tour?
A: It is our understanding that the tour buses will be making informal stops at public places like coffee houses as
"surprise visits." Keep your eyes and ears open and you might run into Ashley or Bono on the streets or in line
while you're getting a cup of coffee.

Q: Where can I learn more about the crisis in Africa and how I can help?
A: Visit DATA's web site at http://www.datadata.org.

"Heart of America" Tour Dates and Cities (schedule not confirmed)

Sunday, December 1 - University of Nebraska-Lincoln lecture - no tickets available
Sunday, December 1 - Omaha, Nebraska - private event
Monday, December 2 - University of Iowa-Iowa City lecture - no tickets available
Tuesday, December 3 - Waterloo, Iowa - private event
Tuesday, December 3 - Wheaton College - Chicago, Illinois - no tickets available
Wednesday, December 4 - Chicago suburbs - private events
Thursday, December 5 - Indianapolis, Indiana - private event with Jubilee USA chapter - tickets available!
Friday, December 6 - Cincinnati, Ohio - private event
Saturday, December 7- Louisville, Kentucky - private event with Presbyterian Church USA
Sunday, December 8 - Nashville, Tennessee - private event

Moonlit_Angel, I'm hoppin' down to Iowa City on the 2nd because the chr. of the U. of Iowa lecture committee said there was a good chance that if I showed up, I'd be able to see the lecture. :) Maybe that would be something for you to look into.

I'm pretty bummed about the Waterloo stop being "private", too! :( Hopefully Bono will just make one of his "surprise visits" at UNI...right in the middle of my biology lab. That would be great! lOL! :

kariatari said:
Moonlit_Angel, I'm hoppin' down to Iowa City on the 2nd because the chr. of the U. of Iowa lecture committee said there was a good chance that if I showed up, I'd be able to see the lecture. :) Maybe that would be something for you to look into.

I'm pretty bummed about the Waterloo stop being "private", too! :( Hopefully Bono will just make one of his "surprise visits" at UNI...right in the middle of my biology lab. That would be great! lOL! :

I was looking into that event originally...don't know if tickets are still left, I mentioned it to my teacher earlier this week, and she didn't think we'd be able to go to the one in Iowa City, which is why she suggested I look at the Waterloo event instead.

Even if there are tickets left, there's not much advance notice for her to invite other people along if she wants to, and we'd need to let the school know and all that, so...I highly doubt we'd be able to make it to Iowa City, as much as I'd love to go, it'd take some sort of miracle or something to get there.

*Sighs*

Why doesn't DATA stop by NIACC? That's only a couple of hours away...I could easily go to that event.

Angela

Moonlit_Angel said:

*Wishes that they'd visit the western side of the state...preferably the northwestern side...*

Angela

OMG!! Angela...do you mean to tell me that I'm not the only U2 fan in NW Iowa?!! :eek:

We simply must chat sometime! :)

Iowa City-
I GOT IN!

It was amazing!
Truly moving!

New song - moving. Probably somewhat cheesy if not played/heard in same context.

:wave: Hey Kari. I'm glad you got in! :D Did you get a good seat?

bonosloveslave said:

Did you get to meet him? :hyper:

Well, no one did.. I waited outside for ages and he just ran by and waved and got into the bus. Some fans told us that they waited when the bus got there, and he just ran in then, too, and didn't say hi or anything. Oh well. :shrug:

Yeah...what elevatedmole said. I didn't wait around all that long because my roommate really wanted to get home and I had a Bio lab report to finish.

I had decent seats...I was close enough to see the wrinkles around his eyes. ;)

It's funny because I wasn't even planning on going until I got a phone call at 3:00 yesterday from my friend at U of Iowa who had somehow managed to snag a ticket.

Supposedly DATA is making a stop in Waterloo, so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled!

They stopped by Waterloo earlier today.

Did anyone here in Iowa check out the articles in the Des Moines Register today on Bono's visit? I was reading them during study hall today. I hope other people checked out those articles today.

Man, how I wish I could've been there. Do you know how frustrating it was for me to know that Bono was only a few hours away from me, and I was unable to go see him? Argh.

Eh. Oh, well. It was still awesome to know that he came to Iowa in the first place, period. :).

Angela

bonosloveslave said:

I did not see that.

:mad:

Those...are...some...insanely...lucky...students.

My teacher did say yesterday morning, however, that she'd heard on the radio that Bono may be coming to Sioux Falls...is this true? (perhaps she heard wrong, 'cause nothing in this thread has said anything about that, so I dunno...but hey, if that does wind up being true, I may have a second chance).

Kariatari, I don't recall where they were exactly in Waterloo...but it doesn't matter, that was a private event, anyway, it wasn't open to the public.

And he's in Illinois by now, 'cause his next stop is Chicago, so...

Angela

Congratulations on getting into the Iowa City talk, Kariatari! That's amazing. I heard those tickets were absolutely impossible to come by. And you got to hear him sing as well as talk? WOW! I wonder if that song will ever show up in any other context.

One of my co-workers saw the article from the Quad City Times on the Internet (she checks that site sometimes because she used to live in that area) and she told me about it because she knows I'm a big U2 fan. It was so funny! We were sitting there at our desks and she was reading bits and pieces of it out loud to me, such as the part about Bono ordering the Oreo and peanut butter blizzard. :lol: I read it myself when I finally got a free moment.

It WAS weird yesterday and today thinking Bono is here in my state, just a couple hours away. I can't get over his stopping at the truck stop. How many celebrities would be caught dead at a truck stop, let alone one in Iowa? He's making so many unexpected stops that I'm almost beginning to wonder if he will just suddenly show up in north-central Iowa and I'll run into him...but I guess that would be a bit out of his way if he's headed to Illinois next. (Sigh!)

Last edited:
:lol: at "Bono ordered a peanut butter Oreo blizzard at Dairy Queen"
That must have sounded adorable with his accent:cute:

Bono's shades said:
Congratulations on getting into the Iowa City talk, Kariatari! That's amazing. I heard those tickets were absolutely impossible to come by. And you got to hear him sing as well as talk? WOW! I wonder if that song will ever show up in any other context.

Tickets were definitely hard to come by! I got mine by pure luck! After an attempt at writing the Chr. of the University Lecture Committee didn't produce results, I had pretty much given up hope. (After I edited the letter from my previous post, it turned out pretty kick-ass and I'm proud of myself for just taking the initiative to write!) I had initially been planning on going down to Iowa City and finding any way I could to get in, but then I decided that my Bio paper took precedence over a miniscule chance of hearing Bono.

Then on Monday afternoon at about 3:00 P.M. my roommate's boyfriend (who goes to U of Iowa) called and asked what time we were heading down, and when my roommate told me we weren't going he said, "Well, I got a ticket, so you'd better get going because people are already starting to line up." :eek: :hyper: (What a sweetie!) I was jumping up and down the halls in my dorm...it was great! He was telling one of his fellow anthropology friend that I was a U2 fan as well as a global health advocate and was coming down even though I didn't have a ticket and she said that she thought she could get ahold of an extra ticket for me.

While I was waiting in line at the Union, there was a girl who had 3 tickets that she was trying to give away. I thought that was unfortunate because there had to have been at *least* 3 other people who didn't go because they didn't have tickets. :(

I can't even begin to describe how attending the event has impacted me. It was just the thing I needed...I was already involved in UNI's Global Health Corps, and after hearing various student leaders from U of Iowa talk at the lecture (and of course, Bono ;) ) it really made me put my goals in perspective and now I'm going to go at them all the more ferociously. I don't have the celebrity that Bono and Ashley Judd have, but I something that is equally powerful, if not, more -- potential. And if this lecture moved other students even HALF the amount I was moved, I just know there are going to be big things happening!

Last edited:
U2SJ said:
:lol: at "Bono ordered a peanut butter Oreo blizzard at Dairy Queen"
That must have sounded adorable with his accent:cute:

Haha, no kidding! I hadn't heard about that.

I remember reading in those articles that he stopped at this harvest dinner thing in a small town, and he signed the guestbook there: "Bono...Dublin, Ireland...The Milky Way".

Hehe.

Kariatari, congrats on making it to the lecture. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :).

Angela

Last edited:
Bono will be at my alma mater (wheaton college, wheaton, IL)tonight at 7:30pm. I have a good friend (who will be there tonight) who's wife works for the college, and she says that he will be giving a lecture and also performing with an 8-member African children's choir. I don't have any verification about the choir, or if he'll actually sing with them, but that's the rumor.

Well, he sang with the choir at all of the other lectures, so I'm betting he'll do the same at Wheaton.

ok, I'm a moron. I really had no idea what had happened at the other stops and somehow thought I was providing new information. You can all just move along now and stop staring at the idiot monkey-boy.

I still think it's really cool the Bono will be on the very same stage I've been on before. He very well may use the same microphone I've used. This, of course, would mean that I'm basically in the band. Yes. I'm am in U2. Actually, I am U2. You can call me U, for short, if you'd like.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom