Heartland thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jendzi

The Fly
I love this song!!
Somebody wrote (in Survivor thread), that COBL is their best song since 1988's Heartland. And then someone replied that there are 142 songs that are better than Heartland.
I just wanted to know how many people here love / hate it :D.

I absolutely love everything about Heartland:

"Dawn changes everything" - The Love of my life (that I met because of U2) is called Dawn...

:up: thanks for positive replies :D
it's so ... poetical. I want to live there :drool:

I've written this before...I used to listen to "Heartland" whenever I was on deadline for writing assignments. It gave me strength during those looooong all-nighters, and I will always love it for that reason.

Heartland is a fantastic song originally recorded for JT but dropped at the last minute in favor of Trip. How about this as a track order?

Side A

Streets
Still Haven’t Found
WOWY “see the stone see set in your eyes”
Heartland “see the sun rise over her skin”
Running Still
Red Hill

Side B

God’s Country
Trip
Bullet
Exit
One Tree
Mothers

Heartland...Average U2 song IMO. Average song on a average album.

The opening verse is beautiful, but it goes downhill after that. Once the song reaches the ending I usually hit the skip button cuz for some reason the song just really starts to drag for me.

Heartland is my second favorite song off of R&H (second only to AIWIY). I really got into it after this tough tough break up back in '97. I was listening to it on repeat in the dark and fell asleep. It played all through the night and was a great song to wake up to.

The falsettos really make this song, in my opinion. Something about them brings about so much emotion and honesty. The lyrics are very deep.

i love that song - so many different layers....hardly gets mentioned at all in the "Amazing U2 Catalogue".

it puts me in a good place.:wink:

It should have been in The Joshua Tree instead of Trip through you wires!!! i hate trip, it's ockward on joshua, different, trip should have been on Rattle because it was and is a experimental album

heartland really is one my personal favorites, especially due to the footage in rattle and hum where the band is one the banks of the mississippi river. i grew up about an hour west of memphis in rural east arkansas. a small farming community. i felt like "heartland" was a song about my surroundings. i made a video to the song from images from around my hometown. it's got some cool "heartland" and "delta" images. i shot it in cotton plant, howell and mccrory arkansas. see if anyone can find that on a map. that area is really the heartland. at least from my perspective. i'd post the video if i knew how.

Pero said:
It should have been in The Joshua Tree instead of Trip through you wires!!! i hate trip, it's ockward on joshua, different, trip should have been on Rattle because it was and is a experimental album

I would have to agree with you on this one. Heartland is a JT song for sure and TTYW with it's country groove and harmonica belongs on R&H with the other country, bluesy type songs. But don't get me wrong I LOVE TTYW more and more with every listen.

boystupidboy said:
Heartland & AMAAW..2 average songs by an average band:wink:

:laugh:
Nah, I can accept any AMAAW dissing, but not for Heartland, surely?!
The lyrics are some of the most poetic Bono produced in the 80's. Best song on R+H, easily.

Now, what was I listening to again...oh yes -

"Brown eyed girl across the street.....:drool: :drool: :drool:

:wink:

I love it! And I'm FROM the Heartland...

well kinda...i'm from the Mississippi Delta and it's said that Bono wrote it while flying over the Delta (after being in Memphis).

I know TECHNICALLY the Heartland is the midwest but whatever.

Pero said:

NOOOOOO!!! Trip's been my fave off Joshua since day one! :(

I love Heartland, and like it where it is myself! ;)

One of favorites of all time. Maybe because I live in Oklahoma City. After the bombing here, that song really meant alot more to me than ever.

"Freeway like a river cuts through this land"

Also, it makes a d*@n fine intro to Bad on the video version!

great song

I love, love this song.....it's so beautiful. I used to pick this song in a jukebox (along with some New Order, Smiths, and Pixies) when I was in college, everytime I went to this one restaurant.

Best song off R&H for sure.

heartland is pure poetry. gives me shivers everytime i listen to it.

'freeway like a river cuts through this land
into the side of love
like a burning spear...'

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom