'Heartland': The Joshua Tree outtake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danielbaars

Babyface
To my ears, 'Heartland' on 'Rattle & Hum' sounds like an outtake from 'The Joshua Tree' sessions. Is there any information available about when and how this (wonderful) track was recorded?

Kind regards,

Daniel Baars

Yes, it is from the Joshua Tree sessions. If you look at the recording information (in the R&H booklet) then you'll see where it was recorded and that Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois had a hand in creating it.

C ya!

Marty

I have always thought, and still think, that Heartland belongs on JT, in place of Mothers.

i love heartland..could have done great on the jt album!

It was replaced with Trip Through Your Wires at the last minute. They thought they needed something lighter at that point on JT.

Sweetest Thing was the last one to be cut from the album, however. Much to the band's subsequent regret.

it was actually written for the most part during the Unforgettable Fire sessions. It was recorded in its present form during the JT sessions though.

If Heartland was in the place of Trip Through Your Wires, by far the weakest song from that album, Joshua Tree would have probably been the greatest album ever for me(with Achtung, of course). But...it would have made Rattle and Hum bad, because Heartland is my favorite from that album. So... I like it this way.

To me, Heartland is one of those songs that help to see the transition from the UF to the JT. Same goes for the B-side Deep in the Heart. Great songs.

deltau922 said:
Sweetest Thing was the last one to be cut from the album, however. Much to the band's subsequent regret.

I always thought this might be the case...are there any specific articles/books/interviews you could point me to that prove this? Sweetest Thing (original) is my favorite song of all time and have always wondered about how/why it was cut from JT. :scratch:

onegin22 said:
it was actually written for the most part during the Unforgettable Fire sessions. It was recorded in its present form during the JT sessions though.

Where did you get this information from? I find this sort of stuff fascinating... I always want to know (and hear of course) more MORE about the recording sessions of the different albums. Like the 'Joshua Tree' Classic Albums DVD - WAAAAAY too short...

'The Joshua Tree' sessions were amazingly productive - it really could have been a quality double album. Mind you, it wouldn't have sold like it did....

Regards,

Daniel

I think for some time, JT almost WAS meant to be a double album - especially Bono rooted for that, but Edge stopped him. (which is also why there are so many B-sides from that album)

I wish Heartland would have stayed on JT and that Trip through your wires would have gone to R&H.

U2girl said:
I wish Heartland would have stayed on JT and that Trip through your wires would have gone to R&H.

Good thought. With all the bluesiness going on on Rattle & Hum that would've worked out fine...

One of my favourite tracks from 'The Joshua Tree' sessions is actually a b-side: 'Walk To The Water' gives me the shivers everytime I hear it. 'Leeeeet me in'!...

Regards,

DB

Back
Top Bottom