Heard the faux-Vertigo commerical?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahittle

Refugee
I think it's Dodge. Anyway, they have a generic instrumental track that gets pretty close to the sound of Vertigo without being lawsuit-worthy. The guitar is chunky with lots of rhythmic palm-muting with that whole D to E riff. The dirty bass and drum tone is pretty dead-on as well. The only thing it really avoids is the whole descending A, A flat, G part.

I've read about the phenomenon. The ad agency will make a version of the commercial with the favored audio track. When it becomes too expensive or impossible to get the rights, they'll have some studio monkeys make a close approximation to the original song. There's a Coldplay-esque one making the rounds as well...

I've actually heard this.. I couldn't break it down to decending A & G's, but it's just off enough to get around having to pay royalties..
I just heard the Crysler commercial while typing this - that is very close to coldplay.. but then again..:eyebrow:
crafty bastards..:wink:

I've heard it. It does make me think it's "Vertigo" for a split second. There was a "Streets" knockoff a year or so ago that was also in a car commercial. These auto makers must really want U2 in their ads.

It's actually fun to spot the near-songs.

There has to be a real skill in capturing a song's vibe while tweaking it enough to avoid legal problems. Kinda like the Rutles.

i saw that commercial and "Vertigo" was my first thought! i also saw a commercial, maybe a few months ago, that sounded like mysterious ways. it was for a hotel chain

Back
Top Bottom