Heard HTDAAB today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dutch Partygirl

War Child
I was at the presentation of HTDAAB to the Dutch press, so I heard the complete album (including track no 12 Fast Cars) and saw the complete video that's going to be on the DVD with the deluxe edition.

It's hard to judge an album after just one listen, but I've got a very positive feeling about this album. Lots of big guitars, a bit of the Achtung Baby feel here and there and some very good tunes. The album is not as catchy as I thought it was going to be (judging just by hearing Vertigo), but it's not a very difficult album either.

I think it's a shame that they're not including Fast Cars on all the editions, because in my opinion it was one of the best tracks.

The video is awesome: they talk about how they made the songs Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Crumbs From Your Table (with some very funny quotes by Larry) and Vertigo. Lots of footage from inside the studio and a very funny bit where The Edge is playing Vertigo on a banjo with Bono singing.

No, didn't hear Mercy. The tracklisting that we got to hear was:
1. Vertigo
2. Miracle Drug
3. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
4. Love And Peace Or Else
5. City Of Blinding Lights
6. All Because Of You
7. A Man And A Woman
8. Crumbs From Your Table
9. One Step Closer
10. Original Of The Species
11. Yahweh
12. Fast Cars

Original Of The Species was one of the tracks that stood out (at least that's my opinion). I thought the first half of the album was a bit stronger than the second half untill Original Of The Species and Fast Cars came on.
Again, it's very hard to judge an album if you've only heard it once, but I thought it sounded as a combination between Achtung Baby, All That You Can't Leave Behind and The Joshua Tree. Lots of BIG guitarsounds and some great vocals there!

I'm sorry to tease you so, I know what it's like (during the last album I wasn't working in journalism yet). I just thought you might wanted to hear this... Sorry!

Every review says BIG guitar sounds. What exactly is that supposed to mean? more guitars? rough sounds? Do you remember much about One Step Closer? Do you think Crumbs is a classic or a crap song? or do you think it just isn't very digestable in the first listen? What makes Fast Cars such a good song in your opinion? What song does Miracle Drug remind you of ? Since you are a woman, do you love A Man and a Woman? (Adam said you would)

I think it's not a very digestable album the first time you hear it. It's not as 'bad' as AB, but it's not as accessable (is that how you say it?) as ATYCLB. BIG guitarsounds to me means lots of guitars, it sounds like they've been overdubbed a lot of times to make it sound big. It's like a wall of sound. Does that makes sense?

It's hard to say anything about the seperate songs, because I've just heard them once. I love the lyrics to A Man And A Woman, but that song didn't particularly stick in my mind. Fast Cars, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Original Of The Species, Love And Peace Or Else and City Of Blinding Lights did. I don't know for what reason, but at the first listen they sounded like the best songs in my opinion.

So partygirl,

Do you think that anyone could write an accurate review of this album after listenning to it one time?

Uhm, how do you want me to proof this? Chris Dwyer of Island/Universal records Ireland/UK was there, it was at the Wisseloord Studio's in Hilversum, we got a bunch of papers with all the lyrics of the album, the cover of HTDAAB and a leaflet with the songtitles, the producers and in what formats the album will be released (I can tell you the the vinyl version will be released a week later than the cd, but that's not proof, is it?). They gave us some nachos and a drink, put us on some couches and chairs, showed the dvd that will be included in the special edition (it lasts for about 20-22 minutes) and than they played the album.

I don't really know what more to do to convince you people... If you don't want to believe it, fine. Contact Universal in the Netherlands and ask them if there was a listening session today...

Hoodlem: No, I can't. I can't really understand how other journalists did it. Maybe I'm crap at it, but I did talk to some other people today and they all said the same thing. But as a monthly magazine you'll HAVE to write a review after one listen, otherwise you won't get the review printed untill January and that's too late.

You know what Dutch Partygirl, we could prove this easily. Send me any of the free shit that Universal gave you and I'l confirm if it is real or not...just drop that in the mail to me and I'll check into it for you...any minute....drop it in...:D

OK, it was worth a shot...I believe you...

i believe you. Can you give any specific little tidbits about the songs or anything?

I know you only heard it once but how would you provisionally rank it against other U2 albums? and you said the second side seemed weaker, was this because the first was so strong or that the second was pretty weak in of itself?

Thanks;)

Hoodlem: No, I can't. I can't really understand how other journalists did it. Maybe I'm crap at it, but I did talk to some other people today and they all said the same thing. But as a monthly magazine you'll HAVE to write a review after one listen, otherwise you won't get the review printed untill January and that's too late.

thanks for answering,

that's what I figured. i really don't think we can take to much stock in the reviews we have read so far. I do have a good feeling about this album.

Last edited:
I don't know what kind of tidbits SkeeK. The complete lyrics have been on this site already (and have been removed because Universal asked for it, so I won't publish them either) and I don't know what else to tell you. What do you want to know?

i know that after I hear the album for the first time I'll have no idea whether it's good or not probably. I mean if it's terrible I'll be able to tell.. but other than that I'll just be kinda overloaded and confused I wager

Thanks Dutch partgirl!!

I believe you that you were there. It's just that we had a lot of controversy here in the past few months. Namely; Dalkey Beach.

what flavour where the nachos, plus fast cars was bound to have been class?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom