Hawkmoon 269 Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellay

Refugee
What's the best version of Hawkmoon 269 Live.

U2.rome have got a great version from the 13th Oct 1989 in melbourne, but it's totally spoilt by a load of girls screaming over the top of it..

Anyone know of a better version?

1989-11-18 Sydney is nice, soundboard from the lovetown special. Also 1989-12-18 Amsterdam is very good; there's a couple of recordings of that one, all audience, but good.

Yeah, it's hard to find a good recording of Hawkmoon 269 as it wasn't played a whole lot - only eight times, seven in Australia, and there aren't that many particularly good recordings from the Australian leg of Lovetown.

The remastered copy of 8 October 1989, Melbourne is pretty good, if I remember correctly. The soundboard of 18 November 1989 is probably the best, though.

Best version - Brisbane October 3rd 1989.
The sound quality is crap, though.

djerdap said:
Best version - Brisbane October 3rd 1989.
The sound quality is crap, though.

I was at this concert and had a photo pass to use for the first 3 songs. So I was in the pit between the stage and the audience and got to experience this song that way!
I don't even have words to describe how mind blowing it was. :bow:

By the way, I have Oct 2nd, 3rd & 4th all on cassette tapes, but I've never found boots of these on cd. So if any of you have them, I would love a copy and could send you cash and or blanks.

I don't care that the recording quality is crap. I was at these concerts and would love to have them on cd.

:heart: Thanks!

The Nov. 18 Sydney version has a very cool intro with the sound of the hawk, the wind howling, The Edge's slide guitar, and even the sound of the motorcycle starting up. This atmosphere could go very well with those opening lines of "Like a desert needs rain, like a town needs a name, like a drifter needs a room, hawkmoon." Now can some one with technical know-how edit together a wonderful intro that could then be added to the beginning of the studio version? Or possibly eliminate or lower the crowd noise?

I never liked any of the few live versions of Hawkmoon 269 that I have heard, it's one of the few U2 songs that didn't seem to have worked live as well as it does on studio. Bono did not singed all the words, the great gospel moment at the end wasn't there and the drums weren't as epic as on the studio. The slide intro wasn't bad though. Hawkmoon 269 is one of my favorite U2 songs so I would love to see them playing this song again but not the way they played at the Lovetown Tour.

I like the version that is in the All I want is U2 bootleg, I think that is from Amsterdam.
(I have seen a video version from Sydney too)

TheBrazilianFly said:
I never liked any of the few live versions of Hawkmoon 269 that I have heard, it's one of the few U2 songs that didn't seem to have worked live as well as it does on studio. Bono did not singed all the words, the great gospel moment at the end wasn't there and the drums weren't as epic as on the studio. The slide intro wasn't bad though. Hawkmoon 269 is one of my favorite U2 songs so I would love to see them playing this song again but not the way they played at the Lovetown Tour.

Totally disagree.
Live versions of Hawkmoon took the song to a completely different level. It rocked and it rocked hard. Still one of the best concert openers.

Back
Top Bottom