Hawkmoon 269!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
This is my new "Favorite U2 Song". It kicks ass live and should have been played more! The studio version kicks ass. This song deserves more credit.

So if you love this song too, post here and tell me how great I am for loving this song.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Hawkmoon 269 Is a great song.

you, mikal, are not.

tongue.gif

like a soup stain...

Anyway, that's what I hear when I listen to that song. Agreed, a great and underrated song.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

LIKE A SOUPPPPPP STTTTTTAAAIIINNN

Martha you are a babe. I've being singing this for years.
Its either that of sheet stain hehe

Funny u should say this today mikAl, because I was watching Hawkmoon live in Sydney from the lovetown tour and it is probably my fave live clip.

Betty and I talk about how much it rocks live constantly. That guitar is like purple snowflakes sent from heaven above.
Yeah, baby!!!

For those of you who know of my Edgasm track list, this is about number 3!

manda has an edgasm track list??

do you have adamasms and larryasms as well?

------------------
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering...

Awesome song!!!

"Lotta emotion in that song young man, lotta emotion".-B.B. King-Rattle and Hum

Of course he was talking 'bout Love comes to town, but still, all those songs from that era were BURSTING with emotion.

------------------
Work like you don't need to
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like no one is watching

It is a great song - one of the most underrated, and from what I have heard one of Bono's favorite U2 songs.

I just listened to a couple of live versions and they are amazing - the song is totally transformed.

Well Hawkmoon is one of those less-known, "hidden" songs, you know? A gem.

It may not get the publicity, but it sure is pure energy bursting out - much like the rest of that album.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-18-2002).]

A great song, and very U2 in its total mastery of the building crescendo - sort of like Bad and With or Without You in that respect.

And one of the songs I'd desperately love to hear live. Cologne - who would have guessed?

Hawkmoon 269 - anybody know where the title comes from?

This is one of those great(underrated) songs from Rattle & Hum. Sometimes I think the album would receive a lot more of the credit it deserves if it were released without any of the live stuff.

This is also one of those songs Bono could never sing today the way he did back then. Great song.

supposedly the band got the recording they liked on the 269th attempt.

no joke.

Heartland is a very very underrated song

Loooove this song. Definitely suffers from being on R&H for me because I rarely listen to that album.
eek.gif

Sounds great live too.

Originally posted by ouizy:
supposedly the band got the recording they liked on the 269th attempt.

no joke.

Actually, I believe this to be UNTRUE.

I believe it was taken from a roadsign.

P.S - Hi Sula. Where's that email?
wink.gif

------------------
I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it.

I think in Rattle and Hum they say that Bono saw it on a road sign, and wanted to use it in a song title. The words to what became Hawkmoon 269 struck Bono as a good match for the title.

I like the way that it's a sexy song; it begins quietly and builds very slowly until the almost-orgasmic end.
smile.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Originally posted by zoomerang II:
do you have adamasms and larryasms as well?
don't know about the larryasms, but adamgasms definetly exist

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Hawk269:

Hawkmoon is the sh*t. Poetry, symphony, intensity. In that song, Bono tries to find the perfect metaphor for love, and also to convey the need he has for the one he loves.
The lyrics knock me out every time -- from love to need to addiction to danger zone, oowweeeee...
Borrowing a page from spanisheyes here:

Like coming home
And you don't know where you've been

doesn't that just set it up?? I know that feeling...

When the night has no end
And the day yet to begin
As the room spins around

(yeah, THAT feeling...)
I need your love
I need your love

Like honey on her tongue
Like the muzzle of a gun

those two together give me chills, and the internal rhymes sound like grunts (yikes)

Like a preacher needs pain

Like a needle needs a vein

two of my favourite, insightful, lines in here

Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained

I never realized that line was in there! What a loaded metaphor, the longer you think about it...

Like faith needs a doubt
a perfectly-Bono oxymoron, my favourite line (up there with the rich stay healthy/the sick stay poor
smile.gif
)

In the heart of the heat of the love
In the heart of the heat of the love...

One of the rare times we get to hear distinct, new voices with U2, and they know how to make it work. As if the (dark) forces in the singer's head have voices -- louder, faster, shriller voices.

Oh, man, would I love to hear this song live. If it's "transformed" like the relatively weak studio version of Silver and Gold -- or even Exit -- I can't imagine what they do with a song this strong.

Props to Bob Dylan, too, for the organ work.
TOTALLY! See "dark forces" above...

Thank you, mikal, I like it when you get enthusiastic about something. But do I really have to say you're great??
icon22.gif
I will say you have discerning taste...

Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Like coming home
And you don't know where you been,
Like black coffee,
Like nicotine...
I need your love

Thought I'll add my fave bit from that song but I love all of it! I have never heard a live version of this before! Anyone know where I can get it?

Hawkmoon269 may well be my all-time favorite U2 tune! Some of you did a fine job summing it up...i myself can't seem to find the words to describe it. Only U2 could create a unique multitude of analogies for one concept and deliver it with such passion and beauty. The song is a gem, no doubt about it!

I never did hear it live, although i would love to.

As my name would suggest, I love Hawkmoon!!!
The studio version never struck me as anything special but the live version is out of this world goodness. Thankfully I got to see it committed to video in the form of the DirectTV special. Edge's slide guitar intro is amazing and Bono's textured, plaintive vocals (including the incredible ending where he is simply going OFF) make the listener feel the raw emotion of the song. A gem, tis a shame they only performed it a handful of times.

As the original Hawkmoon 269 lover of this forum, I must say that I love this thread.

Hawkmoon is the sh*t. Poetry, symphony, intensity. In that song, Bono tries to find the perfect metaphor for love, and also to convey the need he has for the one he loves. The vocals are as deep and full sounding as any song he has ever done.

Oh, and for the true Hawkmoon experience, make sure you either have a subwoofer or turn the bass up bigtime on your stereo. Those timpani and drums are unreal. The percussion work in that song is glorious.

Props to Bob Dylan, too, for the organ work.

AJ

Back
Top Bottom