Have you ever got bored by U2 – and Interference?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gman said:
The most annoying facet of u2 is the fans. I cringe at the how some ppl on here totally kiss ass of all things u2 and you cant make a comment unless is totally positive. The most annoying part is the Ali lovers who assume she is so great and a wonderful human being etc without knowing her. SHE ISNT PART OF U2 SO WHY TALK ABOUT HER!?
Its quite disturbing at times!

gman, I'll let you in on a little secret....:shifty:......these people, they're called Fans....:shifty: and fans tend to like not only the main attraction, but things associated with it.....:shh:

I never get sick of U2, but I get sick of the 'anti-fan' who pretends to be a fan, yet slags the shit out of most things to do with band! It's like "WTF! Do you like them or not!?!?" :tsk: If you don't like them, I'm sure Coldplay would gratefully welcome your time.

Question: Bored by U2 in general?
Answer: No way.

Q: Bored by a certain phase or performance?
A: I have already bored myself with all U2 phases, but that's what this is: phases. I like U2 from 1976 'till today.

Q: Bored by the hype surrounding them?
A: Sometimes. Specially by the negative (and never justified) hype - this one is particularly boring.

Q: Bored by communities likes this here?
A: Yes. I'm bored with Interference nowadays.

Q: In other words: Have you ever lost faith in our favourite band? And if so, why and when?
A: No. Once you're really on the U2 boat, you never jump out, even if in the moment you're not liking the band's performance.

gluey said:

If you don't like them, I'm sure Coldplay would gratefully welcome your time.

God, I love you Gluey!!!!!! (this is what we were talking about the other night, isn't it? :lol: :hi5: )

I cheated on Interference with another U2 forum tonight. :reject: And it was GOOD!

Last edited:
I'm not bored by U2, but lately I have been hesitant about posting in threads here in EYKIW . In fact, I might even end up being sorry I posted this. A good example would be some of the posts I've read in a recent thread titled "Does U2 Suffer"
I've "suffered" some negative posting in this forum recently, and I can tell you it's a real turn off when people jump all over you for sharing your thoughts.
But still, I love U2 and Interference and look forward to another great album and the camaraderie most Interferencers share.

zuropa_fit said:

I cheated on Interference with another U2 forum tonight. :reject: And it was GOOD!

Closet whore. Wait...then that makes me....:sad:

And I hate the U2 Anti-Fan. I'm not sure how you get that way....POP is the cure for sure (almost rhymes).

Aygo said:
Question: Bored by U2 in general?
Answer: No way.

Q: Bored by a certain phase or performance?
A: I have already bored myself with all U2 phases, but that's what this is: phases. I like U2 from 1976 'till today.

Q: Bored by the hype surrounding them?
A: Sometimes. Specially by the negative (and never justified) hype - this one is particularly boring.

Q: Bored by communities likes this here?
A: Yes. I'm bored with Interference nowadays.

Q: In other words: Have you ever lost faith in our favourite band? And if so, why and when?
A: No. Once you're really on the U2 boat, you never jump out, even if in the moment you're not liking the band's performance.

Thanx for returning here, then – by the way: I do feel the same, hoping this fan-community will be re-animated and worth its name, when the next album will come out. But I'm not sure ...

I couldn't be bothered to read this whole thread, but I'll bite: I don't think it's important whether people get bored of this forum or not. It's natural that if you are on here all the time, you'll get bored of it; the more so when U2 hasn't had an album out for three or four years (there is less to talk about!).

However, it is quite interesting to look at a U2-forum as opposed of other bands' forums. There are two unique things I've noticed about U2-fans on this (and one other) Internet forum:

1) U2 forum fans are really possessive about the group, to a unhealthy extent. That is, a lot of posters on here (not to say everyone, of course) seem to start from the attitude that U2 owes them something. Thus, when other posters disagree with some fundamental part of their U2-understanding, they tend to over-react as if someone has stolen their salary at work or something. I find this really funny, and a bit strange.

2) I also notice that U2 has a lot of young fans on this site. Now, what we consider 'young' is obviously relative, but this is what I mean: I'm 32, and have been aware of U2 since about 1987. To me (and, so I would assume, to the many fans who are older than I) the 80s were U2's real period of being an essential, vital, musical force, and everything after that is just gravy on top. I reserve the right to buy their product or not, but I think I judge them by less harsh standards than young(er) fans who started listening at 'Pop'. The fact that they even had a 2nd-act to their career (the early 90s) was amazing enough to me, and anything beyond that is just a bonus. When I go on fan sites of other, older artists I like, the fans seem to share this kind of a perspective with me. But not on this site, where the fans are younger and kind of ...well, weird.

Just my observation.

65980 said:
But not on this site, where the fans are younger and kind of ...well, weird.

:lol:

Seriously though, I thought you brought up some interesting things, and I'd say I tend to agree.

I believe it's called mellowing with age. It feels like a good place to be at. Waiting and appreciating what comes our way.

I think we older fans know that U2 owe us nothing. That every song is a bonus to what they have already given us.

Yes and no – because as an older fan (36), who shares your feelings, even us do have the possibility to talk about our view on U2's artistic changes and challenges. It's not just a bonus, what they are doing now, it still can be relevant for us. Or not?:wave:

I'm actually pretty relieved that I'm not a long-term U2 fan and that I wasn't a real "fan" back in the 80s, this is taking a lot of pressure from me and I can just appreciate the band and their music without being stuck in the past.

I don't feel pressure, having come into them in the late 80s. :shrug:

I liked them then, I like them now. I don't necessarily think their best days are behind them. If they are, that's fine. At this point, as long as they're making the music THEY want, that's all that really matters. They don't need to make music for me.

As an older U2 fan (yikes) I can say that I've always felt that their music has grown along with me and is right where it should be in it's life cycle. I'd be laughing my ass off if they tried to do some silly (notwithstanding Vertigo) Sum-41/Good Charlotte shite at their age. I'm not saying they shouldn't experiment any more a la Pop / Zooropa, but I found nothing wrong with HTDAAB either, even though it sounded very contemporary, it was one hell of a great album in its own right. Even ATYCLB, first time I listened to it I kindof was ho-hum about it, 2 months later it hit me full force and I loved it. Everything is relative, and the older one gets the more one realizes that, I guess. :shrug:

bit bored of this place to be honest

*cue super defensive 'THEN WHY POST HERE?! WAH WAH!' posts*

gareth brown said:
bit bored of this place to be honest

*cue super defensive 'THEN WHY POST HERE?! WAH WAH!' posts*

Sometimes candor can be your friend.

I never really get bored with U2. When there's nothing really going on with U2, I just get into something else. Moderation can also be your friend...and in many ways.

I'm ridiculously bored of seeing this thread on top of the page!

> Then don't post and bump it up!

I know. But just seeing it up here is enough. No offence to thread starter.

i get bored of interference ... but whenever I try to regularly post on some other forum it just doesn't work. I am a creature of habit.

i wouldnt say I get bored of U2 persay, but I listen to lots of different music, so sometimes I'm not in the mood for them. I definitely listen to them a lot less than I used to. they're still my favourite band though and probably always will be.

AtomicBono said:
i get bored of interference ... but whenever I try to regularly post on some other forum it just doesn't work. I am a creature of habit.

i wouldnt say I get bored of U2 persay, but I listen to lots of different music, so sometimes I'm not in the mood for them. I definitely listen to them a lot less than I used to. they're still my favourite band though and probably always will be.

This is basically EXACTLY how I feel. :)

Other forums...they just don't work. :tsk:

I do tend to listen to everything on my ipod equally but the new album might bring a new love of U2 forth that will make me listen to them more often.

Bonogirl777 said:

I do tend to listen to everything on my ipod equally but the new album might bring a new love of U2 forth that will make me listen to them more often.

yeah i'm pretty sure if the new album doesnt suck (which ive never been disappointed by a new U2 album, i dont think bomb is totally amazing but I sure did when it came out) i'll be listening to it nonstop for awhile

Back
Top Bottom