Have U2 Lost Some Spontaneity As A Live Act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
This is something I've felt quite alot over the last two tours (although less so with Vertigo), that the band have become slightly less daring and adventurous on stage.

The unpredictability of U2 as a live act has always been one of the key reasons for my fascination with them, the feeling that on stage a song could quite literally go anywhere and take on a totally different quality and life of its own has, for me, always been one of the most exciting prospects of being a fan. As we all know, on tour a song can take on a whole different variety of incarnations from night to night depending on how its performed, sometimes its energetic, sometimes desperate, sometimes euphoric sometimes even thoughtful and sensitive. Sometimes its all those things at the same time. This is part of what makes being a fan so interesting, I've heard countless versions of Bad, WOWY, Streets and AIWIY but no two performances are ever exactly alike.

When I think back to the eighties tours the first thing I always think of is how Bad transformed from this one dimensional mood peice on the album to this multi-layered epic showstopper on tour. Streets underwent similiar changes, becoming something far more spine-tingling and transcendent on stage. WOWY, Desire, AIWIY, BTBS all had long, dynamic solo's and unexpected snippets. The Lovetown tour kind of represents the peak of this spontaneity, when setlists were in constant fluctuation and performances could take on wildly different forms from night to night. You never quite knew what you would get.

The nineties were great too. Although ZOO TV had a 'script' and was more structured, the tour still had that sense of 'anything could happen', and performances could and often did go to some exciting and unexpected places. MW was transformed pretty radically, UTEOTW was far more intense and angrier, The Fly was more direct and powerful and Love Is Blindness was much starker. Popmart was also fantastic, Mofo was sharper and more frenetic, LNOE really unleashed itself, Discoteque was rockier and of course Please took on a life of its own and became so much more compelling.

So maybe this is really about reworking songs for a live situation. For me the songs on the last two albums didn't really develop all that much on stage. BD, SIAM, Elevation, Kite, New York, Vertigo, Sometimes, Miracle Drug, OOTS, and ABOY were all pretty similiar to their studio versions and were less interesting to me. I was pleased the band were more changeable with setlists during Vertigo but I felt the songs could have been re-explored and taken to new places as well. I think my favourite moments of Vertigo were those fantastic versions of Kite, U2 going back to being daring and unexpected, this is the kind of reworking I would have liked to have seen more of with the Bomb songs (and something I hope for on the next tour).

Well those are my feelings. What do you think?

This is something I've felt quite alot over the last two tours (although less so with Vertigo), that the band have become slightly less daring and adventurous on stage.

The unpredictability of U2 as a live act has always been one of the key reasons for my fascination with them, the feeling that on stage a song could quite literally go anywhere and take on a totally different quality and life of its own has, for me, always been one of the most exciting prospects of being a fan. As we all know, on tour a song can take on a whole different variety of incarnations from night to night depending on how its performed, sometimes its energetic, sometimes desperate, sometimes euphoric sometimes even thoughtful and sensitive. Sometimes its all those things at the same time. This is part of what makes being a fan so interesting, I've heard countless versions of Bad, WOWY, Streets and AIWIY but no two performances are ever exactly alike.

When I think back to the eighties tours the first thing I always think of is how Bad transformed from this one dimensional mood peice on the album to this multi-layered epic showstopper on tour. Streets underwent similiar changes, becoming something far more spine-tingling and transcendent on stage. WOWY, Desire, AIWIY, BTBS all had long, dynamic solo's and unexpected snippets. The Lovetown tour kind of represents the peak of this spontaneity, when setlists were in constant fluctuation and performances could take on wildly different forms from night to night. You never quite knew what you would get.

The nineties were great too. Although ZOO TV had a 'script' and was more structured, the tour still had that sense of 'anything could happen', and performances could and often did go to some exciting and unexpected places. MW was transformed pretty radically, UTEOTW was far more intense and angrier, The Fly was more direct and powerful and Love Is Blindness was much starker. Popmart was also fantastic, Mofo was sharper and more frenetic, LNOE really unleashed itself, Discoteque was rockier and of course Please took on a life of its own and became so much more compelling.

So maybe this is really about reworking songs for a live situation. For me the songs on the last two albums didn't really develop all that much on stage. BD, SIAM, Elevation, Kite, New York, Vertigo, Sometimes, Miracle Drug, OOTS, and ABOY were all pretty similiar to their studio versions and were less interesting to me. I was pleased the band were more changeable with setlists during Vertigo but I felt the songs could have been re-explored and taken to new places as well. I think my favourite moments of Vertigo were those fantastic versions of Kite, U2 going back to being daring and unexpected, this is the kind of reworking I would have liked to have seen more of with the Bomb songs (and something I hope for on the next tour).

I would say no. BD, Kite and Vertigo was very spontanius live.

Didn't see/hear enough different versions to pass judgement on that, but Beautiful Day was fleshed out, extended ending and extra lyrics, and came with snippets on the Vertigo Tour, Elevation they can get rid of and I won't miss it, Kite was astrofuckingnomical on Vertigo, New York was far rockier, Vertigo was far more enjoyable live, it had the drum kick intro, in Sometimes Bono added opera in homage to his father.

I think that one thing to keep in mind is the fact that, thanks to internet and the opportunities it provides to the fans for following the tours, a lot of the mystery has gone out of live shows. None of the 80s and 90s tours were ever under such close scrutiny. These days, Bono stumbles off the stage and an hour later you can see it on YouTube, :wink:

I think that one thing to keep in mind is the fact that, thanks to internet and the opportunities it provides to the fans for following the tours, a lot of the mystery has gone out of live shows. None of the 80s and 90s tours were ever under such close scrutiny. These days, Bono stumbles off the stage and an hour later you can see it on YouTube, :wink:

Good point made regarding the internet

i kind of agree with DevilsShoes, the reworkings are the key not necessarily the spontaneity for me. I love the version of RTSS on ZooTV, I love Kite on Vertigo, I love Please on PopMart. I think that a tour should have these special moments that were defined by the time. They are the songs from each tour that live on for me...

"Have U2 Lost Some Spontaneity As A Live Act?"

Yes, since Zoo TV. Zoo TV was by no means any more spontaneous than recent shows.

U2 started the very "scripted" shows actually during the Joshua Tree days, although the script was much looser then.

Actually, I'd say the re-gained it in the last two tours by brining out more oldies, B-sides and less played songs.

hm im not really sure id like to see more wildness from bono lol but i think they can be pretty spontaneous at times
i would love to see lots of variation though on this tour coming up! i want to see one tree hill, gone, last night on earth, dirty day and some others back on some occasions i would really like them to mix it up but keep a few hits to keep the casual fans happy like pride, one, streets, new years day, beautiful day and vertigo also play most of the songs off the new album on regular occasions on the first leg of the tour to see what workks well and mabye reinvent them for later concerts

DS...I suggest you go back and listen, maybe refresh your memory? New York's live solo is unbelievable! and Bono does this sort of ryhthmic shouting during the solo that makes it even more epic....

Kite was one of the highlights of the Vertigo tour- And with Edge's beautiful solo, I'm not sure what more they could do to make this song a consistently unbelievable experience for future tours

BD- Obviously this song took off live! In terms of the studio to live setting transformation, this song differed on the Elevation tour slightly, with added lyrics at times and some other subtle changes, but then completely took on a life of its own on the Vertigo Tour, with even more added lyrics and some incredible, soaring vocals added on to the end. I think overall this song just became so much bigger and, although I hate to keep saying this, epic.

SYCMIOYO- Although I love the studio version of this song, Bono took this song to new heights on the Vertigo Tour, and effectively brought out the emotions in this song. He held the "sing" note for longer periods of time and with a stronger voice and simply sang the song differently in every single performance.

Vertigo- I felt this song was played live with more punch and energy and Bono/U2 did some interesting arrangements with the song, like starting it back up again near the end, opening the show then closing with it, etc. And don't forget the intro change in this song- during live performances, the band stops and Bono shouts "Uno, dos, tres, catorce" (he would actually be changing this opening line quite frequently throughout the tour) and creates this surge of energy as the song kicks off.

Stuck In a Moment...- Although not as much, this song was changed live as well, with the unbelievable intro that you hear from Bono more so on the Elevation tour than the Vertigo Tour (see Irving Plaza, Slane Castle or Boston DVD) and some other slight changes

I could go on and on- I really don't understand how these songs, when performed live, came off as "less interesting" to you...I think almost every song from both ATYCLB and Bomb, when played in a live setting, were not only improved, but then varied frequently with each and every performance. Also, like you mentioned, the Vertigo Tour varied more in terms of the setlist than ZooTV and Elevation tours (not sure about Popmart)

Lastly, I think Saracene makes a very good point with the internet. As a society we can sometimes forget about this tool we now have at our finger tips, so we must also take that into consideration when analyzing U2's spontaneous factor as a live act. Over the span of their careers, I think they have had their ups and downs in terms of spontaneousness, but I don't think I see a gradual change or pattern, whether up or down, from the early days to present time. :)

Hey Rob :)
I hear what you're saying about BD and Vertigo, they were both much better live, plenty of energy and intensity and yes more spontaneity with the added snippets from Bono, I enjoyed these on the last tour and was pleased Bono incorporated them. Yeah Kite was fantastic and as I said the reworking of it last tour was one of my all-time favourite live moments.

SIAM and SYCMIOYO were by no means bad live, (as you said pretty much any live U2 is better than studio U2) but I just didn't see an awful lot of development for them, they stuck pretty closely to the originals and for that reason I found them less interesting, its no big deal, some songs on the eighties and nineties albums didn't really develop much on stage either, its just that it seems more evident on the last two albums, for me anyway.

A polished performance is great, but it can sometimes be at the expense of daring or spontaneity. I just want the band to remain willing to shake things up on stage and allow the songs to grow and breathe by pushing them into new, unfamiliar areas.

YouTube - Bono Falls

:wink:

this is very true, though... if we wacko super fans didn't...

a) go to so many shows
b) didn't check every setlist leading up to the show

... then the same old lame bono puns and repeating setlists would seem a hell of a lot more spontaneous.

that said, i've accepted that u2 are never going to be like springsteen or pearl jam in regards to setlist rotation... which is fine. but the original excuse for the lack of rotation was that the multimedia clusterfuck'o'stravaganza required a more scripted show. well... the multimedia clusterfuck'l'stravaganza has been toned down considerably, yet the setlists are still very much scripted. even the parts of the setlist that were "surprises" on vertigo... you knew when the surprises were coming, and for the most part, you know the "surprises" were going to be one of a handful of songs.

if they're going to stick with the scripted shows, fine. give me more lights and buzzers. if they're going to keep a basic, stripped down stage (at least in the indoor shows), then mix it up a little. bono doesn't run around as much and uses a teleprompter... so i don't see what the issue with that is. perhaps it's not bono at all, but the other 3. :hmm:

U2 have spent more time in the studio than ever before on the last two albums.

Songs have 'traditionally' grown in the live arena, beyond what was imaginable in the studio. Maybe this process is now entirelly in the studio

Internet - and seeing 10+ shows - kills the mystery of all live shows, regardless of who you see. The "live jam" bands comparisons really don't apply, U2 has always been more about the "show" aspect of a concert (and/or setting up a certain message along the way) - and there's nothing wrong with doing it either way. The shows have been scripted, more or less, since JT tour and U2 does tend to vary the songs more in arenas compared to stadiums, it's a part of playing for the bigger audience.

I think U2 is doomed either way. If they will do a small arena tour, comparisons (as they have this last tour) will be made to Elevation. If they do a big stadium tour, it will inevitably get compared to their 90's spectacles (again, see last tour). That said, the last tour was great in particular setlist-wise and still it wasn't enough. :shrug:

DS, let me prove you wrong

Vertigo: the extra verse on the Vertigo tour was a genius addition, not to mention the Stories for Boys snippet on the first leg, and the shouts from the crowd in later performances (eg., Milan/U23D). imo, the extension of Vertigo is even better than the extra verse of Sunday Bloody Sunday

Beautiful Day: Edge perfected 'the riff' live and Bono sings it amazingly. Sgt. Pepper's + Beautiful Day = fuck yes.

Elevation: the song was a great opener on the Elevation tour, and on the Vertigo tour, the new intro was pretty damn cool.

New York: the live solo made that song listenable.

Kite: on the Elevation tour, Bono's extra verse at the end was pretty good. on the Vertigo tour -- no explanation needed.

SYCMIOYO: though very similar to the cd version, Edge added some amazing shimmer to his guitar sound, and Bono's performance was really a show stopper.

OOTS: the band had a hell of a time figuring out how to play this live, and as a result we got a number of different versions of the song, from piano, bass, and drums, to the addition of Bono's guitar, to the Edge tearing through the song on guitar with an orchestra behind him.

Stuck in a Moment:

SIAM and SYCMIOYO were by no means bad live, (as you said pretty much any live U2 is better than studio U2) but I just didn't see an awful lot of development for them, they stuck pretty closely to the originals and for that reason I found them less interesting, its no big deal, some songs on the eighties and nineties albums didn't really develop much on stage either, its just that it seems more evident on the last two albums, for me anyway.

YouTube - U2 - Stuck in a moment - Brazil 2006

It definitely got more spontaneous on the Elevation and Vertigo than on ZooTV & Popmart, where such thing didn't exist. Still, they have to work on that more. Pearl Jam-like variation on the next tour!

I'm dreaming, I know.

Hey Rob :)
I hear what you're saying about BD and Vertigo, they were both much better live, plenty of energy and intensity and yes more spontaneity with the added snippets from Bono, I enjoyed these on the last tour and was pleased Bono incorporated them. Yeah Kite was fantastic and as I said the reworking of it last tour was one of my all-time favourite live moments.

A polished performance is great, but it can sometimes be at the expense of daring or spontaneity. I just want the band to remain willing to shake things up on stage and allow the songs to grow and breathe by pushing them into new, unfamiliar areas.

:up:

I didn't particularly like the acoustic versions of SIAM, but I know a vast majority of fans did...

but then again, I can't think of one U2 song that is improved when played acoustically for me :shrug:

going back to SYCMIOYO, I agree, it stayed relatively the same in terms of song structure and arrangement but, like Doscotheque touched on, certain aspects of the song are enhanced, like Bono's voice and Edge's guitar...also we can't forget the various snippets that the band threw in at the end of this song, sometimes making for very special operatic moments for Bono like on 12/4/2006 Tokyo, Japan :ohmy:

Quite honestly I don't think U2 have ever really been that spontaneous when it comes to their live shows. A lot of you are pointing to the Zoo TV tour as the start of it. Thats true to a certain degree. But check out the setlists for the Boy, October, War and Unforgettable Fire tours. They are all pretty much the same for the most part, with some varience occassionally. But even Vertigo and Elevation has some variance occassionally. U2 has always approached their concert from the somewhat scripted setlist interactivity perspective. Nothing has really changed that much. I think as others have pointed out its the instant gratification and information flowing through the internet that has changed. Not U2.

I think Blue Room (above) is correct. I don't disagree with DevilsShoes' feelings -- I also wish U2 were more spontaneous live --, but I really don't think they've ever been spontaneous or "loose", as many other bands are.

I think, in the early days, Bono was very spontaneous. Up to the UF period, maybe, he was a bit of a loose canon onstage and did all sorts of crazy stuff, which tended to piss off the rest of the band (Live Aid being the culmination of it, when the others didn't speak to him for days, having no idea that he'd actually done a great performance). BUT the rest of the band, in the early days, were not musically accomplished and they tended to panic if/when things went awry (as they frequently did).

Inversely then, Bono toned down his wildness and became more of a mainstream performer, while the band got better musically and finally had some confidence to let rip, take chances to stave off boredom, and flex their muscles a bit (this from 1987 through 1998).

After PopMart shattered the band's confidence and limited their ambition somewhat, both Bono and the band have been reigned in, trying to control the lightning in a middle-aged bottle that they've discovered. Nothing wrong with that -- I can understand their desire to maintain their position -- but as long as they stay as big as they are, I don't think they're going to risk any live mistakes at this point. Too bad, though.

I think U2 is doomed either way. If they will do a small arena tour, comparisons (as they have this last tour) will be made to Elevation. If they do a big stadium tour, it will inevitably get compared to their 90's spectacles (again, see last tour). That said, the last tour was great in particular setlist-wise and still it wasn't enough. :shrug:

Ah yes... the solution is clear: a theatre tour! ;)

Thanks to everyone who replied:)
Agree with alot of points made and thanks to DiscothequeLP for that SIAM performance, I really liked the acoustic versions.
65980 made an interesting point about the band becoming more accomplished as musicians as the years have gone by and I think that this could one of the reasons for spontaneity declining a little. Maybe once they feel like they've really nailed a song on the album and got it exactly as they wanted it, they become less inclined to really play about with it so much on tour, perhaps feeling that they'd only be ruining what made it so right and that to rework it would ultimately only take away from the song.
Like I said I could be wrong, its only a theory. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom