Have U2 become the greedy/exploiting televangelists that they attacked in the 1980’s?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
david said:
The people U2 attacked in the 80's were scum. U2 aren't scum.

I suppose you are right. I never said they were scum. But this entire situation certainly raises questions about honest business dealings, doesn't it?

I think U2 the band has allowed U2 the corporation to take over.

I don't mind U2 the band, but I despise U2 the corporation.

As for the individual members -- I don't know them, and I don't really try to find out much about them, so I can't really say anything.

starsgoblue said:
With the exception of about three people on this board...I don't know of anyone that has gone voluntarily to Africa to work with AIDS orphans, visit with people that were laying in a bed waiting for death because death was their only merciful option without access to medication or dig wells. Too many have reaped the benefits of globalization without any of the responsibilities...

Bono has...do you think he got paid for that? Do you think he finds it 'fun' to witness that kind of pain and personal anguish that is a daily reality for some people? Do you think he has enjoyed having things literally thrown at him by an elected government official because he has tried to create change on an international level? You can criticize all you want what he does about situations like Africa, he's said it himself, "Nobody is doing enough." But he's doing something.

I get really upset when I see posts started about U2 as a whole and it quickly become a Bono's personal life bashing jamboree.

Well said, stars, I agree with you. People are making this way too, shall I say too Zoroastrian in the sense that you've either got to be God or the Devil? Or trying to paint a colored picture black and white. Does Bono have to be either a saint or a demon? Personally, I don't think so. He's a flesh-and-blood human being with virtues and faults, just like the rest of us. Clearly the guy's no saint or sage. I don't expect that either. He's a talented, energetic guy who isn't embarrassed that he's made a whole slew of money. Do you think he really enjoyed going to Malawi and being so saddened and devastated by the suffering there that he made a whole slew of phone calls alerting various and sundry people what a heartbreaking place it is? I'm just glad he did that and made the phone calls. I don't think Bono's wealth is an issue. Period. This is something that requires the actions of *governments*, not just a few donations. Personally, I'd rather go to Hell than Malawi. Meanwhile he's used his own money to go to Africa to get information on the matter, he did it again when he alerted so much of the world when he went with Paul O'Neill to Africa.........that's how we found out it wasn't really that expensive to build wells in Africa. That's when Jo Sanchez and some others founded the now hugely successful African Well Fund. Bono inspired the *foundation* of the AWF. This charity has raised more than $50,000 for construction of wells in Africa for people who wouldn't otherwise have access to clean water. For your information there was a great article about the Fund on U2.com, complete with a link to the Fund's site. To do good, must a person give up everything and become a Franciscan monk? (No offense to Franciscans, I love them). Of course not. For someone who could spend *all* of their time partying on the French Riviera, he's doing some pretty amazing things.

Last edited:
No way. They do not beg for money using God to make you feel guilty. They sell a product. If you don't want it you are free not to buy it.

U2Kitten said:
No way. They do not beg for money using God to make you feel guilty. They sell a product. If you don't want it you are free not to buy it.

Well said U2Kitten, and Verte76, excellent post.!! :up::up:

If people have such a problem with the "politics" of U2 you don't have to support them. No one is twisting your arm. I don't have a great deal of faith or belief in most of organized religion, so I don't support them.
I do however believe in Data, The African Well Fund, The Chernobyl Childrens Project :heart: and others that are not U2 related, so I support them. I would not have known about the first few of these organizations without my interest in U2. :wink:

If you feel U2/Bono are so despicable, and not the humanitarians you think they (or just Bono for some, it seeems) should be, then you shouldn't buy their albums, listen to their music, go to their concerts or support them in any way. It's your choice... Sounds like some people really think Bono is some sort of superhero whose suddendly lost his super powers.

Just keep in mind, you are the one that put Bono & or U2 up on that pedestal. Don't blame them for falling off.
end of:rant:

Bono has been called out in the past for the fact that he regularly gives $200 to people on the street. I think Bono's a guy who does the best he can with what he has.

Besides, everyone knows that the issues in Africa are not just about money -- it's about overcoming the symptoms of poverty, not just throwing money at it. Bono is calling attention to a structural problem as much as he is calling attention to an economic one. He wants Western countries to create economic space where these countries can flourish.

I don't know who dug up this old post (it's been deep in the archives for a couple of weeks now).

However, as the person who originally posted this thread, if it's not too late I would like to make a complete retraction of this post. I posted it at the height of my intense frustration of the presale fiasco week. I couldn't get tickets at all (Prop/presale, online, or waiting out in the cold at the arena) and I was very agitated about the whole thing.

I am still completely ticketless, but all I needed was some indication from U2 that the presale was never intended to go down as it did. I believe that now, and I'm sorry that I flew off the handle. (I hope that the fact that I remain ticketless is some measure of demonstrating the sincerity of this apology.)

The wording of my original thread was harsh and wrong. I take it back, and I'm sorry that I ever posted it. With the exception of one dark week in early 2005 (the presale) U2 have been nothing but a hugely positive part of my life for many years.

The internet is a great thing. I love the exchange of ideas. It can instantly give a voice to someone who feels like they really have to get something out. I got it out allright, but too fast and too nasty. I'll be more judicious about this in future. Carry on U2.

Knuckle said:
I think many of you have missed my original point. My problem is not with U2 being filthy rich. They've been that for at least 20 years now. My problem is when some of that filthy richness comes by way of (and I'll say it politely) taking my money and not giving what was promised. U2 doesn't owe me anything but that. Enough is enough. How many yachts can you water-ski behind?

I have no problem with U2 making profits, big profits, huge profits, enormous profits. My problem is with U2 making obscenely grotesquely massively collosal profits by (I'll say it politely again) taking my money and not giving me what was promised. In simplest terms, that's just basic decency isn't it?

I cannot deny the excellence of the music, but the other inseparable part of U2's "brand" (their image as something special in the human being department) has crashed and burned for me.

When Larry put his PS. at the end of his apology - I think he was referring to people that think like you.

They made a mistake. They were in the midst of debating whether to tour or not. Their reason is quite justified. They apologized for their mistake and are working to correct it. For you to attack their character this way sucks. :down:

^^^^ I agree. It was wrong of so many people to jump down the band's throats like they did (not everyone, but the loud minority who really did). People screw up. U2 screwed up. They appologized for it, and are working on not screwing up again in the future. There isn't much more they can do.

Sorry Knuckle - I thought your post was new. I understand the frustration you went through before -but cannot understand your post if it was current.

I don't want to say "I told you so", so I won't, but my point at the height of all the bitterness was that we need to wait until the smoke cleared before we all went off on a band we all love.

I'm sure there are a few people, like Knuckle, who regret some of the posts they made during the pre-sale week.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I don't want to say "I told you so", so I won't, but my point at the height of all the bitterness was that we need to wait until the smoke cleared before we all went off on a band we all love.

I'm sure there are a few people, like Knuckle, who regret some of the posts they made during the pre-sale week.

I knew that when I posted my own "apology" above that there was a 100% chance that I'd perhaps become a target as one of those "so-called U2 fans". That's ok. I had it coming. I just hope that apologies are recognized as a two-way street. (That is, U2 has apologized and it's been accepted. I just hope there's room for others, like yours truly, who feel the need to apologize too and put the whole thing in the past. Seems like a healthy thing to do, doesn't it?)

Knuckle said:

I had it coming. I just hope that apologies are recognized as a two-way street. (That is, U2 has apologized and it's been accepted. I just hope there's room for others, like yours truly, who feel the need to apologize too and put the whole thing in the past. Seems like a healthy thing to do, doesn't it?)

And with that, it almost seems as though this thread can be closed, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom