Have I turned into a big girl's blouse recently or what? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 11:45 PM
I wish his dad would been alive long enough to hear him sing this song, and in particular, the siiiiing part. Can you imagine his dad hearing him hit that tenor A? I bet it would have brought tears to Bob's eyes.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:21 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
I was just thinking about a video concept for SYCMIOYO video. I know they are filming it now, but this thought just occured to me. I think this video would be really powerful if it was simliar to the video for "One". The video where Bono is in a smokey bar singing/talking directly into the camera. Can you picture Bono singing these words about his father in a controlled, simple and direct way? I think it would be amazing.
According to the article on U2.com this is going to be an amazing video.

Put aside the crew of sixty and the lorryloads of equipment and all you are left with is four musicians with their instruments on a stage – along with some stunning lighting effects casting a tranquil purple-red glow behind the band as they perform.
and
The twist in the shoot is that while the song opens with the band playing on an empty stage against a plain backdrop, as the song reaches its climax, the scrim rises to reveal the golden yellow balconies and burgundy décor of the place where the opera was sung by Bob Hewson.

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see this

Old 12-14-2004, 02:50 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 05:45 AM
yep, your a big girls blouse, enuff said! lol...how to admit its getting to be a fave of mine past WOWY and ONE ...
Old 12-16-2004, 03:37 AM   #24
Refugee

I was watching Cona Obrien last night and Liam neeson was on and they were discussing irish/english sayings
and they brought up big girls blouse...
conans irish mom used to call him that
conan was like when i was a child i wore a big girls blouse..and he pouted .hehe hes so cute
Old 12-16-2004, 04:57 AM   #25
Refugee

father and son...no greater bond...a great song that makes me weepy...that being said my dad would kick my ass and call me a pussy if i cried over a song lol
Old 12-16-2004, 09:56 AM   #26
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:45 AM
Can you hear me when I siiiiiiiiing....
Old 12-16-2004, 10:10 AM   #27
Refugee

please pass a tissue (just listened to a live version)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:18 AM   #28
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv
I was watching Cona Obrien last night and Liam neeson was on and they were discussing irish/english sayings
and they brought up big girls blouse...
conans irish mom used to call him that
conan was like when i was a child i wore a big girls blouse..and he pouted .hehe hes so cute
Hehe, yeah I saw that too. Conan rocks - I wish U2 would go on his show!

And as for SYCMIOYO - it was the first song to really catch me when I heard HTDAAB. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see it performed live!
Old 12-16-2004, 01:17 PM   #29
Acrobat

Don't worry, the song gets to me almost every time...and I'm someone who's not the emotional of people.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #30
Refugee

Personally, the first time I heard 'Original/Species' live from the Apple/U2 press conference a few months back, it hit me good. Idon't think I've hever heard such a heart wrenching song yet joyous song. I seriously don't know how to feel when I listen. Much like 'One', the song can sum up so many different moods.

My grandma passed away in June and today is 6 months since. It was a terrible situation and my mom is still very much caught up in the emotions. Since the album came out I've played all the songs for her and 'Sometimes' really hits home. They used to talk on the phone all the time and now the phone doesn't ring as much as it used to. 'Sometimes' and 'Original/Species' are great tributes to life and realizing just how much someone means/ has meant to you, and now I can't listen to the song without remembering grandma and how hurt my mom feels. That hurt finds its way down to me, but she's much better off now than what she was in her last weeks with us.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The first time I heard this song (it was like two in the morning in Chicago--when the album was suddenly online and everyone was goin' crazy), I openly WEPT. Just cried and cried and cried.

One of the things about many of my favorite U2 songs is their ambiguity, so to speak. I mean, "Until The End Of The World" is supposed to be about Jesus/Judas...but it doesn't have to be, you know? Just like "One" can be about a million different things to a million different people. It's one of the reasons I don't like the last verse for "Crumbs..."--because it makes everything too obvious, too in-your-face. The song could've been many things before that verse...still a good song, but it's a complaint of mine.

That's why "Sometimes..." hit me SOOOOOOO hard. I already knew EXACTLY what the song was about--I knew why, how, for whom, and everything else about its writing. Even so, I was able to apply it to a COMPLETELY different and just as painful situation in my own life. I didn't see my father (I've never even MET my father...further testament to the song's power, I guess) in the song, but I saw someone else. And I cried....and cried....and cried some more.

I'm still crying.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

U2 are the only band that have come even close to making me cry...havent ever cried for a song before but U2 has made me come the closest.