Has Your Faith Ever Been Tested?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I mean in U2, not in life, thats a whole other matter altogether :wink:

I think when you're a fan of anything long running, you're bound to go through periods where you interest wanes and dips a bit, I know I certainly have. But has anyone had any moments where they've questioned whether they're even a fan anymore.

Has anyone ever thought: this reinvention's not working for me at all. Where are the band going with this new direction? This album seems a bit uninspired or I just can't get my head around this new album. Why's Bono doing that? This era is definitely not my favourite.

If so, what was it that revitalised your interest? What gave you back your emotional investment in the band, it could be anything, a new image, new songs and new live performance that reminds you of how great they can be (step forward Kite on Vertigo), it's up to you.

That happens to me sometimes. But it goes away once I actually stop to listen to the music.

Any dumbassery they can commit now won't change the fact that God Part II bends you over and owns you every time you listen to it.

Oh sure. Back when ATYCLB came out I realised they could make music I didn't like (beyond the occasional song). And halfway through last year I got sick of all their music and banished U2 from my CD player/mp3 player for months. :|

Then I went to the two Vertigo shows in Melbourne, and saw the light again :wink:

when I first heard they were re-releasing One with Mary J Blige I thought that was quite a sellout thing to do, and that they were doing it soley for the money.
However when I heard that version of one I changed my mind, because I really liked it.

My faith in U2 is constantly being tested, whether they make such bad movements (like U218, for instance), whether I fall in love with an artist that I have to admit that it's musically better than U2.

Last edited:
:lol:

my faith was tested when pop came out.

i kept it though.

oh, and when bono tongue-kissed liam :barf:

passengers-bonoliam01.jpg

that was a tough one to swallow.

i deeply hoped that my sister never saw that picture, because she would never have stopped mocking me with it, if she did.

Last edited:
Aygo wins the Most Hysterically Bad Typo Ever Award! :lmao:

Aaanyway. I certainly find I'm not the fan I used to be. U218 tested that. Discovering better bands tested that. To an extent, dodgy setlists tested that. I find that some material, especially that from the early eighties (i.e. UF and October, and I have no idea why people here bash the latter so much), still does it for me in a big way though.

I stopped paying attention to U2 for awhile after ATYCLB came out. I didn't stop listening to them, but I was really disappointed by ATYCLB (to this day, I'm not sure if I've ever listened to it straight through). I didn't even consider going to the Elevation tour, but I was also moving a long distance while it was happening, so I didn't really have a choice.

HTDAAB won me back. I joined here, started trading shows again, and got to see the band for the first time in eight years. They're definitely still my favorite band, but I also realize that doesn't mean I have to like everything they do.

I think my "U2 faith" is tested every time I read something that makes me feel like I'm a part of some strange U2 cult.

Yeah, it gets tested, but that's only because I listen to so much other music and lose sight of how great U2 is. Then I listen to Zooropa/Joshua Tree/Pop/War/Boy/HTDAAB (or even Achtung Baby) and I have to say "yeah, alright...they are amazing." :D

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think my "U2 faith" is tested every time I read something that makes me feel like I'm a part of some strange U2 cult.

Hahaha, nice.

Really sometimes I overplay them and just have to move on to other music, then one of their songs will come up on shuffle and my love affair starts all over again.

Not really no. I'm listening to a fair bit less U2 now than in the past because I 'discovered' bands like the Beatles, Pink Floyd and others, but I still love U2 as much.

No, because I have a life besides U2 and try to see all the U2 stuff, good or bad, in relation to my "real" problems. That makes it a lot easier to deal with it.

I've kinda gone off U2 recently.

They'll always be a favorite, but after solid listening from 2001-June 2006...It was time for a break.

Now is probably the perfect time to get out and discover "other music"...with the band not touring, now album in immediate future. So thats what I'm doing.

I'm sure I'll be jumping on the band wagon this time next year, if the "1 album every 4 years" thing happens again.

I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms here, but why is everyone so down on ATYCLB?

I fricken love that album and it's what made me the fan I am today.

My interest in U2 has had peaks and valleys over the last six years but I can't say that it was "tested" in any dramatic kind of way. Even if they go and make an album I end up hating there's still awesome back catalogue for me to love.

Trinity3000 said:
I'm probably opening up a whole can of worms here, but why is everyone so down on ATYCLB?

I fricken love that album and it's what made me the fan I am today.

Same here. That album is good medicine for what ails ya.

But I would say that my faith in Bono (not necessarily the band) has been tested. Like right now. :tsk: I suppose I'll get over it.

Last edited:
powerhour24 said:

Hahaha, nice.

Really sometimes I overplay them and just have to move on to other music, then one of their songs will come up on shuffle and my love affair starts all over again.

lol Spot on! When im at work i put my ipod on shuffle,and i will be enjoying all the various songs. Then a U2 song comes on and thats it,i go straight to that album!

I used to be so into U2 that if they did something seemingly commercial or weird for them, it'd piss me off.

Now I listen to a lot of other music and I don't think it's a big deal anymore :up:

Back
Top Bottom