Has you U2 (music) ever saved your life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack4U

The Fly
I think of positive impact of Their music on your life. Has U2 ever gave you so much hope, faith and support that help you for example to get rid of suicidal thougts, to start looking on the bright side o Your life?

I was going through some pretty dark times in the fall of 2000--not suicidal, but really, really depressed. As in crying all day, not wanting to go out with friends, just watching tv and chain smoking (grr...men). Anyway, it was the result of a bad breakup. Hearing Beautiful Day really helped to get me out of that funk, along with the rest of ATYCLB. It came out at just the right time...

U2=Good Therapy!

------------------
when a good time turns around
you must whip it
you will never live it down
unless you whip it
no one gets their way
until they whip it
i say whip it
whip it good

Saving my life is a bit too extreme, but one month ago I found myself thinking about suicide for the first time in several years. I couldn't stop crying that day and spent alot of time in the bathroom hiding my eyes so people wouldn't know how upset I am. In the midst of that darkness I found myself singing 'stuck' to myself...now when I hear than song I get chills....I still don't know how I came to feel that dark..but singing that song reminded me that it was just an emotion, and that I would get out of it.

Yes.

I wish to not post details for all to see though.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

Yes, I'm pretty sure they did. Maybe not completely in the literal sense... but I was going through some tough times over the summer, and U2 helped to pull me through.

------------------
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be alright
Uncertainty can be a guiding light

Ninjas can kill anyone they want! These guys are so crazy and awesome that they flip out ALL the time. I heard that there was this ninja who was eating at a diner. And when some dude dropped a spoon the ninja killed the whole town. My friend Mark said that he saw a ninja totally uppercut some kid just because the kid opened a window. --The Official Ninja Webpage

I don't know if it has ever "saved" my life, but it has definiately helped me through some tought periods.

'Achtung Baby' helped me through romantic woes.

'All That You Can't Leave Behind" and "The Joshua Tree" helped him through depression and self-doubt.

If only I had U2 in college.......
my life would have been so different.
But I'm glad I found them when I did.
No joke, ever since I started listening to them, I have not been depressed. That's 15 months of sheer bliss(yes, I haven't been a U2 fan for very long). I mean it when I say that. I've had a few bad days, but nothing like I use to, and they usually get better by listening to the guys.
They are the only therapy I need, and they have made my life better than I ever thought it could be.

U2 has always mad me happy. In the past if I was upset I would listen to joshua tree or achtung. I have been a U2 fan since 1992, Im 22 by the way, I have to say that the past 6-8 months have been really sad for me and I find myself constantly upset. I tell you all the truth when I say that WALK ON just lifts my spirits. Like no other song, its like pure hope and positivity. The songs lyrics are just so damm powerful!!!! For 4min and 30 somthing seconds I am just so happy and it gives me a new look on everything. So, yes u2 has "helped me" not really saved me though.

yes, it has .
Maybe not saved ne, but definately helped get me through a terrible accident that left me looking a whole lot different than I did-the thing is is that beautiful day was on the radio right when it happened--during my rscovery, Walk on, stuck and kite were and still are very important songs for me.. Beatiful day too because that accident even though it was so awful--it really changed me for the bettter and straightened out my priorities.
I would love to have the chance to tell them, how much it helped me.

Yes. Literally. But I will not pour out my emotional tale here in front of so many jokesters, but the answer is YES and I thank them for all the songs on ATYCLB.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 03-06-2002).]

Not literally but its helped alot. I was in lower Manhattan when the Trade Center collapsed. I was in Madison Square Garden six weeks later for a U2 concert with 20,000 people-- most of whom went through something similar to me or buried friends or loved one. There was a healing power in that arena that you can't duplicate-- a power that reminded alot of us what it was like to be happy and have fun. That's one of the reasons I'm a U2 fan.

I wouldn't say it has saved my life but it has brought me closer to my husband.
He's the one he introduced me to U2 while we were dating and ever since we've shared the amazing U2 passion.
I'm a bit more fanatic tho.
biggrin.gif

MAJOR YES. I don't really recall when the first time was that I fell back into the darkness but there's been too many times in my life that I've been suicidally depressed and very mentally unbalanced but I remember once when everything seemed to go horribly wrong and my life was falling apart I for some reason picked to play Achtung Baby. At first it was just to drown out all the thoughts that were screaming in my head but then I started listening to ONE and I fell to the ground crying my eyes out. After the song was over I felt a lot better. It helped me realize that things you do in your life affect others that are part of your life. Acrobat also helped me let go of all the anger I had so the whole album just helped me out a lot. Now whenever I see myself start going down that path -which thankfully is VERY very rare now- I just listen to U2 and remind myself of how great life really is. Plus if i was gone who would properly lust after Edge! Come on! The man needs his fans too! lol okies i'm done.
LATERS!!

------------------
Fear Not..For I'll Be Watching You. And I know what you're all thinking. FOR SHAME!!

U2 was instrumental in getting me through highschool without a total emotional collapse. Also, I quite literally wouldn't be with the man I'm with today if it weren't for the Edge. Scary, but true!

But as for life saving, they litereally saved the life of a friend of mine. He was very seriously thinking of kill himself in 1988, but when he found out R&H was coming out, he decided he couldn't do it because he couldn't miss hearing U2's latest!

It hasn't saved my life but has brought me out of all time lows. Ultraviolet has done that for me. Just the lyrics "Oh sugar don't you cry...oh child wipe the tears from your eyes..."

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

actually..a few times it almost killed me..If I listen to it while driving..I'm prone to accidents..you can only steer so well while listening to elevation

Sorry for the mistake in a topic line, but I?m a bit new here... and I was nervous when I was writing it... I?m so often afraid of my unsufficient knowledge of english. Maybe that?s the reason I haven?t already written too much, but I have been ?passive? member of this forum for at least 1 year.

Finally I would like to answer to my question. It?s hard to write but I must admit that they have already done it many times, but maybe not exactly literally. Sometimes their music remain last constant positive thing in my life when everything else is falling apart. It?s sad but it?s true... And new upcoming material always becomes another reason to stay alive.. also one of my biggest dreams is to see them live before I die!

Nevertheless it?s a great thing that we always have their music to we can hold on. Music that fills our hearts with hope and helps us to get through all the problems. All these posts proved that I?m not the only one here who has almost the same feelings about that!

First of all, welcome to posting on the forum, Jack4U! Your English is just fine! (Better than my Polish...my grandma and her family are Polish...) Anyway!

I haven't really been saved by U2, but I was saved by another band's music. One night I was contemplating suicide. I was in high school at a boarding school far from home and was being treated for depression at the time. As I was crying and experiencing an all-time low, a certain song came on the radio. I thought to myself, if I kill myself, I will never get to hear this song again. If for no other reason, I want to live so that I can listen to this beautiful song over and over. This song proves to me that I'm not the only one who feels this way.

It sounds stupid and trite, but when you're so miserable that nothing and no one matters, a song (or new album, etc.) can be a reason to live. Sometimes that's all it takes to give you enough hope to get some rest and tough things out for just a little while longer. And as we know, although the tunnel may be long and dark, there is always a light at the end.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Actually today I was feeling a bit down with a problem with a certin family member. We have not been getting along lately. I put on the bootleg of the Notre Dame concert, and was listening to One. Then came the part of "Sisters, Brothers we got to carry each other". And it made me feel better about my big brother.

I love threads like these. Not because they're at times depressing but it gives me hope again in the power of music. there is a power that music has that can't be duplicated. the shiver up your spine and the goose bumps you get, the stirring of your soul, the adrenaline rush. this thread has once again reminded me why I am so lucky to be a U2 fan.

To HeartlandGirl!

Thanks a lot for welcome to posting here! Have You ever been in Poland? I really would like to know how good is your Polish too? Can you speak or even write something?
If You don?t want to answer here You can always e-mail me /bono@ftv.pl/!

BTW, it?s amazing that You write almost the same I wished to write about waiting for a new material but I was not really able to do this in the way You did it!

The only things I can really say in Polish are the words for "aunt" "grandma" and stuff like "give me a kiss"!
biggrin.gif
I have learned four foreign languages in school, but I have never studied Polish, although I would love to learn it. And I haven't ever been to Poland, but would love to go sometime.

If you want to talk about it more, email me at babyswan11@hotmail.com. For now, I'll stop talking off the topic, here...
smile.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Back
Top Bottom