Has U2 inspired your political action?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SurrenderUV

Babyface
Has U2's music or the band itself ever inspired you to take political action? Any stories?

I became interested in Amnesty International and wrote a AIDS relief letter to President Bush 2 years ago. I even got a long response letter, but not from him, rather his secretary. But to my surprise, it was quite good. :ohmy:

Whatever is takes to motivate people to get involved with local, state, domestic, and international politics is a good thing. Even if it's music.

But it is kind of sad if music is the main filter, especially today with some many news sources. One would hope a daily interest in current events is second nature...

I was just another passive teenager until I started listening to U2. I write a lot of letters for amnesty now, support the make trade fair campaign and circulate alot of material about AIDS and poverty in Africa. I care alot more about political, social and environmental issues, although i've always been quite interested and informed about these things - I guess finding out about Bono's campaigns and listening to their music just motivated me to act more on it.
I enjoy it too. It's very fulfilling, and i'm very passionate about these causes now - I try to help as much as I can in my own way.

haha

so starting next fall I'll be going to grad school to get a phd in Irish Studies.
How did I get interested in that subject, being an American of Italian & Russian parents? one day I picked up a book on the Troubles to find out about 'sunday bloody sunday' and got addicted.

seriously.

:)

tennispunk said:
haha

so starting next fall I'll be going to grad school to get a phd in Irish Studies.
How did I get interested in that subject, being an American of Italian & Russian parents? one day I picked up a book on the Troubles to find out about 'sunday bloody sunday' and got addicted.

seriously.

:)

Now that's what I refer to music changing one's life. :up: Good Luck!

I am of U2's generation and while I was not specifically inspired by U2 to become socially active, they have helped to re-inforce in me the social conscience and responsibility to help make a change for better in our world.:yes:

Thousands of lives have been saved and thousands of lives have been improved through the influence of U2's music and personal
examples of CARING IN ACTION.

I am heartened that their social conscience has never left them and that Bono has remained as forthright and consistent about social justice for the world 's poorest people throughout his career.:angel:

Thnaks very much for this thread - it's one of the more important ones that I have seen here lately.

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Oh yea, partly because of Bono's absolutely BRILLIANT ADVOCACY for Africa's Future, I have two presentations to give this week of World AIDS Day (1 December) on AIDS in Africa and what we can all do to help. :up:

Is that a good example of the inspiration that I have found to "dream out loud" in U2 and their music?

GOD BLESSED US WITH U2. THANK GOD FOR BONO. :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom