Has U2 ever visited Interference.com???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is Awesome Elvis!!!

------------------
Looking for the one
But you know you're
somewhere else instead..
I want to be the song
Be the song that you hear in your head .....

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I guess I could have simply emailed Elvis to ask him my question, but I thought this would be more fun.

Thanks for the reply Elvis, you should be proud this site has been featured, recognized, and visited by its own subject matter.

Very cool.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
lies. i'm edge and i know who adam is.

Please come back to the studio, i am waiting almost 4 hours now.

Greets, Bono.

[This message has been edited by Rono (edited 04-19-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:

Oh the anticipation! It must be what GypsyHeartGirl feels when she reaches for "Pop" and looks at a picture of Bono with a shaved head!

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
icon30.gif
Shudders at the thought!

Bono keep your hair!!!!! ARGHHHH!!

Doctorwho=not funny!
icon31.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by YellowKite:
Actually if my Da was the subject of all this licentiousness I am pretty sure I wouldn't be in here at their ages.
good point

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
The chances of them NOT being here are like the chances that there is no other life in the universe. Of course they're here. That's why I worry so much about what goes on here sometimes. Okay so they aren't going to go, "Hi I'm Bono the newbie welcome me!" but I know they HAVE to lurk and members could be one of our frequent posters. Also consider that Edge has three teenage daughters and Bono has two girls 10 and 12. ANY kid that age loves the internet, and with their dads being the subject of so much worldwide discussion OF COURSE they are going to check it out! The wives probably do too. But they aren't goint to broadcast it. I think there is no question- either the band members or their management or their families are on here all the time. Maybe even right now.

Elvis delivered the goods and the stats, but thought I'd add this to your post...

I worked for a big big band not too long ago, and also dealt alot with their website. They couldn't have cared less what people posted - they mainly, once every 5 months, would check out Thread Titles and skim very lightly. They would never post. And this was a band with a lead singer who claimed very vocally to care about each and everyone of his fans in the media. To this day, you cannot convince his fans that he isn't the sweetest soul. U2 is the world's biggest rock band, so I wouldn't get your hopes up that they visit here regularly or even would recognize your UserName. Or that their children or wives visit regularly either. These are people who are extremely busy and live in a different stratosphere and most likely try to stay away from googoo talk that you can find on fan message boards.

I say this as someone who has experienced all of this first hand - not to play devil's advocate. It's never good to overestimate this type of thing, because you will only overexcite yourself into thinking any obscure intelligent cryptic newbie is a band member or part of their camp.

------------------
I can scream as loud as your last one, but I can't claim innocence.

[This message has been edited by HelloAngel (edited 04-20-2002).]

This sounds convenient - but I have to protect my privacy and theirs.

I will say this though, I have no reason to lie about being involved with a major band. I try to speak on things I have real experience with. And know that it's a very inviting feeling to think that U2/their camp are posting or reading on a regular basis. I have zero doubts though, that their staff members peruse.... we all would like to think our favorites read and post like we do, but it's just not a likely reality. Not with the people I've worked for - and they are/were top-tier talent.

Anyway, I don't have a concise point here, I just wanted to relay personal experience with rock stars/bands and posting on message boards.

Originally posted by HelloAngel:
Elvis delivered the goods and the stats, but thought I'd add this to your post...

I worked for a big big band not too long ago, and also dealt alot with their website. They couldn't have cared less what people posted - they mainly, once every 5 months, would check out Thread Titles and skim very lightly. They would never post. And this was a band with a lead singer who claimed very vocally to care about each and everyone of his fans in the media. To this day, you cannot convince his fans that he isn't the sweetest soul. U2 is the world's biggest rock band, so I wouldn't get your hopes up that they visit here regularly or even would recognize your UserName. Or that their children or wives visit regularly either. These are people who are extremely busy and live in a different stratosphere and most likely try to stay away from googoo talk that you can find on fan message boards.

I say this as someone who has experienced all of this first hand - not to play devil's advocate. It's never good to overestimate this type of thing, because you will only overexcite yourself into thinking any obscure intelligent cryptic newbie is a band member or part of their camp.

Well I for one hope you are right, I mean I know you know about that band but I hope it's the same for U2. What a relief! I am not one of those people who wants them to come here, in fact,I hope they don't read this stuff and take it to heart. Even if they think we are all losers with nothing else to do, I don't care. Thanks for the report.

------------------
"I've been all over,

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-20-2002).]

Yay!! The voice of reason.

Originally posted by GypsyHeartgirl:
Well I for one hope you are right, I mean I know you know about that band but I hope it's the same for U2. What a relief! I am not one of those people who wants them to come here, in fact,I hope they don't read this stuff and take it to heart. Even if they think we are all losers with nothing else to do, I don't care. Thanks for the report.

This is how the band I worked for did it with their site message board and a popular fan message board:

The Internet savvy studio technicians (or me) would once a week (or so) check out the boards to make sure there wasn't any:

unreleased material floating around, any stalkers confessing to unfortuate deeds, any ridiculous mistruths about release dates, band motives, band appearances, band misfortunes, etc.

Once all of that information was sifted through for anything pressing or immediate - the studio technician would check facts. They would then post to the boards to correct any discrepancies.

If it was something entirely retarded, serious, or too many fans were spreading rumours enough for MTV, Billboard, RollingStone or SPIN to cover it - then and only then would the Guitarist post to quell the rumours. If this did not stop it, or only spark the hunger for the singer to make a statement, the singer would get drunk or high and then post a very short message. He would not read any of the responses himself - only through myself or a studio technician.

The amount of actual interaction of the singer and the posters was slim. And like I said, this is a singer who his fans idolize and think he is a caring, sensitive soul who cares about his fans problems.

As for U2 or their families reading fan boards regularly- don't count on it. They have staff members to do this sort of thing. Unless you have dealt with a band, it is often very hard to fathom how removed they are from their fans, even if it seems exactly the opposite. Their (rock stars) lives are veritble fishbowls - they are extremely busy, rich, competitive people with little or no personal time on their hands. When they finally get personal time, it's not spent on the Internet reading googoo stuff.

This is how the band I worked for did it with their site message board and a popular fan message board:

The Internet savvy studio technicians (or me) would once a week (or so) check out the boards to make sure there wasn't any:

unreleased material floating around, any stalkers confessing to unfortuate deeds, any ridiculous mistruths about release dates, band motives, band appearances, band misfortunes, etc.

Once all of that information was sifted through for anything pressing or immediate - the studio technician would check facts. They would then post to the boards to correct any discrepancies.

If it was something entirely retarded, serious, or too many fans were spreading rumours enough for MTV, Billboard, RollingStone or SPIN to cover it - then and only then would the Guitarist post to quell the rumours. If this did not stop it, or only spark the hunger for the singer to make a statement, the singer would get drunk or high and then post a very short message. He would not read any of the responses himself - only through myself or a studio technician.

The amount of actual interaction of the singer and the posters was slim. And like I said, this is a singer who his fans idolize and think he is a caring, sensitive soul who cares about his fans problems.

As for U2 or their families reading fan boards regularly- don't count on it. They have staff members to do this sort of thing. Unless you have dealt with a band, it is often very hard to fathom how removed they are from their fans, even if it seems exactly the opposite. Their (rock stars) lives are veritble fishbowls - they are extremely busy, rich, competitive people with little or no personal time on their hands. When they finally get personal time, it's not spent on the Internet reading googoo stuff.

Even if the band themselves don't come near it, doesn't it mean kind of the same thing if their 'help' do? Wouldn't they make recommendations to the band on their sound/image/stage show, etc. based on what they saw the fans posting? (I have seen people post "they played 'Stay' they must've been reading!" or "Bono wore red he had to be reading PLEBA!" so can we rule it out?)Isn't that why they read it, or is it ONLY the things you said, to stamp out ridiculous rumours and misinformation? Do they really not care about the more petty stuff? Do you mean that they really don't care what the fans think, because they know no matter WHAT they do, some will like it and some won't, so they would not let the comments of a few hundred internet addicts change the course of the band? I hope that's what it means.

Still, if it were me, I'd read it. I'd have to know. Even just being me, it bugs me what people say about me. Maybe if I were a millionaire, I wouldn't give a royal shit
wink.gif
I was thinking the opposite- that because they WERE rich, they'd have more time to surf the net- no real job, no car to take to the mechanic, no lines to stand in, etc. They have honchos to do all that, so their lives are free to do as they please and that might include the internet. I have heard that Edge for one spends all day on the computer sometimes. I can't believe he'd never check out the sites concerning him, but I hope he doesn't!

Speaking of 'ridiculous rumors' there is one circulating on one of the mailing lists right now that Edge has cancer. That is something that really needs to be stopped. If there was anything to it, we would have heard. No one here has mentioned it, and some of the people here seem to find out everything as soon as it happens. One of the people mentioning Edge's 'sickness' is a teenage girl known for 'shenanigans' in the past. I'm sure it's a rumor. Maybe everyone realizes that and doesn't even dignify it with a response.

------------------
"I've been all over,

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 04-21-2002).]

I hate to say it, but no, most bands do NOT care about the petty stuff.

Like I said, these are people who live in a completely different stratosphere than we do. Their time is alot more busy than you can imagine, and it isn't just because they don't have set 9-5 desk jobs at a defined location. They have responsibilities you do not even know about. They have engagements and appointments you cannot fathom.

In truth, unless you have first-hand experience, or unless you *really* think hard about the life of a rockstar, you will know for certain that they do not care what is said about them on fan message boards. It's nice to think they do - but why would they care about shirt suggestions? or special crowd shout-outs? or random setlist injections? Their setlist is firmly planned out and rehearsed beforehand, which rarely leads to improvised songs. "People Get Ready" is a song they have well rehearsed, and thus were able to do it on the spot.

I know it's nice to think THEY (any rock star) are "among" us right now - but most likely they are not. It's nice to romanticise that idea. But again, in truth, and as I've said a million times on message boards - these are very very rich famous people whom you do NOT know. (I've known a bunch and worked for them, so I can say this with accuracy). They seem so sweet and caring and wanting to read googoo stuff, or our poetry, or our discussion - but a person employed to do so specifically by the band or the record label is the one who monitors the message boards - NOT the band or their families.

Edge is most likely doing scientific research - he is a man with many interesting intellectual pursuits. He isn't sitting reading post after post by young people. Most celebrities want to lead a normal life in their downtime - fame is so weird and daunting - and in their downtime, they don't want to be reminded of how famous they are, or how idolized they are. It's not healthy for a person to be so vain about their celebrity. Most celebrities want to be normal at the end of the day - and reading fan message boards is not going to be stop numero uno for them. Again, I say this from experience, and I say it with accuracy.

For the bigger bands, they are more removed. Bands like No Doubt still manage to post on their message board because they evidently do care - and this is rare, believe me. Moby posts on his, and keeps a regular diary - because he chooses to keep in close contact with his fans. Courteney Love is very very involved with her Holemusic.com message board because she likes the close contact as well. And also likes to control everything that is said about her and Nirvana.

The big big big bands employ people to keep watch over the best fan sites (Interference.com being the best for U2 fans) - and thus are kept abreast of fan activity like I've mentioned before. They aren't telling Bono that we really like the blue Bulgari glasses more than the purple; or that we like to fantacize about Larry's mesh shirt from the SuperBowl. They're letting the band know when a performance goes down well or badly. They let them know the BIG things - not the petty stuff. Remember, the music industry is show business. Not show friends, show business. It's not a friendly business or a romantic business. You really have to have a strong self-esteeem to work in the business or else it will really get under your skin like a chinchbug and boar a hole into you.

------------------
ooh eee ooh ah ah ching chang walla walla bing bang.

The big big big bands employ people to keep watch over the best fan sites (Interference.com being the best for U2 fans) - and thus are kept abreast of fan activity like I've mentioned before. They aren't telling Bono that we really like the blue Bulgari glasses more than the purple; or that we like to fantacize about Larry's mesh shirt from the SuperBowl. They're letting the band know when a performance goes down well or badly. They let them know the BIG things - not the petty stuff. Remember, the music industry is show business. Not show friends, show business. It's not a friendly business or a romantic business. You really have to have a strong self-esteeem to work in the business or else it will really get under your skin like a chinchbug and boar a hole into you.

Thanks. Like I said, I am not one of those who wants them here or fanasizes about them being among us. It scares me and makes me worry. It is a relief to me to think they are not. Now the only thing that worries me is the way the people who monitor these things interpret us and what they relay to the band, and how. In reality, a VERY small number of fans post on the internet compared to the number of U2 fans in the world, maybe only less than 5%, so there is no way to get a scientific represtentation of what the fans really think and want. I don't even think it's true that the 'biggest' or 'best' fans are the ones who post constantly. Probably most U2 fans, like the band themselves, have too much to do to keep up with this board and other lists. I do hope that whomever is reading things will consider that as well. Angel, if everything you say also applies to U2 as well as the band you worked for, it gives me LESS to worry about, not more. Thanks again for your expertise!
smile.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,

Wow, HelloAngel. Fascinating to get such a close up look at a rock band (thanks for the real deal). Yeah, it's probably like others have said too: they know about the site, but it's not the band members themselves who visit here.

I would just like to add there was (maybe still is, i dunno) someone on chat posing as "Edge" and then he handed over to "Adam" to talk.

rolleyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom