Has there ever been a song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
so hated and at the same time so loved as Crumbs?

Seems I've never seen the U2 camp so divided over one song.

You either love it or hate it...almost no middle ground.

Me, I love it.

I can't recall right now...maybe the beer's imparing my better memory?

Who's Gonna Ride...is pretty darn close. Me, I could take it or leave it. It's too unfocused for me and just never really pulls me in. However I have friends who hail it as the greatest U2 song ever...I don't see it?

me neither... still i love the outro (and that's why i must listen to whole song :wink: )

Zoocoustic said:

You either love it or hate it...almost no middle ground.

I'm in the middle groung.
It's a very good pop song, just not that great for the u2 standard.
I like it.

U2DMfan said:
Miami is loved by those with great taste. And hated by those who love Michael Bolton.

Agree absolutely with this. Miami is experimental and boundary pushing and, unfortunately, not commercial. But it could be. Music like this needs to be made if we're going to advance beyond 50s/60/70s song structures where something must conform to a certain pattern of verse/chorus/guitar sound/rhythm to be accepted.

Lets hope we get some forward thinking U2 sounds again soon. On a side note Sometimes is revolutionary as a single insofar as it sounds, as Bono says, like something from the 50s, or the Righteous Brothers.

Axver said:
I can't figure out why anyone would dislike Crumbs.

Ax,
as much as we try to be civil on this board, it really comes down to a simple thing.

Shit taste. Nothing else can explain it.

Miami rules. Miami Live? Fuck you have to be a corpse to not like that.

Okay, this wasn't about Miami, but I made it so. You don't like Miami? I hear Bon Jovi just put a greatest hits out.

U2DMfan said:

Ax,
as much as we try to be civil on this board, it really comes down to a simple thing.

Shit taste. Nothing else can explain it.

Miami rules. Miami Live? Fuck you have to be a corpse to not like that.

Okay, this wasn't about Miami, but I made it so. You don't like Miami? I hear Bon Jovi just put a greatest hits out.

:up: Miami live converted me to Miami studio. The merge from Miami to Bullet was nothing short of extra-bloody-ordinary.

But back to the original topic now ...

It was Crumbs and OSC that I had to let grow on me for a couple of days. They both did, and I love them now. Crumbs has great lyrics, and I love the guitar and drums at the start. Great song.

MY MAMMY *** MIAMI is one of the few outstanding tracks on P(l)OP.... car chase...handycam...got a picture of you... and live it was just amazing with the big palms bowing on the big big screen...MY MAMMY...in MIAMI

yes and CRUMBS is another outstanding song among a bunch of outstanding songs on THE BOMB...and i tell you it has a real african feeling...i travelled for the last 3 weeks on the islands of Cabo Verde...and THE BOMB was accompanying me on my trip. adams bassplaying is outstanding on THE BOMB but its bulldozing through CRUMBS...great song!!!

U2DMfan said:
Miami is loved by those with great taste. And hated by those who love Michael Bolton.

:lol:

I dont like Michael Bolton, so i must fit in the Miami loving crowd... Its even better live..

And let it be known that i like Crumbs 110% more than lets say Original of the species... Though that song is still ok.

And WILD HORSES,, Now thats a kick ass song,, Love it

I think there have been a lot of U2 songs like that. Even All Because Of You from the same album. Then there's songs like Mofo and Miami and Lemon....

I think Even Better Than The Real Thing used to be this song. When it first came out, it really seemed to divide the camp, so to speak, but its now just accepted by all. Crumbs will probably be like that in a few years, too.

I love Crumbs & Miami. :)

I would agree with "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?" being one of those love it or hate it songs. Personally, I think that it's the only song on AB that should have been left off because it's so embarrassingly cheesey, but I know a lot of people who think I should put the crack pipe down.

I LIKE "Crumbs From Your Table." I certainly don't love it, and I certainly don't hate it. I think that it's a decent song.

At the same time, though, I must point out that I think it could have been a truly great song for me. I really love the way the song starts off (lyrically, especially), and the overall sound and structure of the song are solid enough for me. It's predictable, yeah...but it's very well-done, etc. I just CANNOT STAND (and I've said this many times...broken record...) the final verse of the song. I just think that songs--and art in general, really--work a lot better when they're not in-your-face with what they're trying to say...if, of course, they're trying to say anything. "Crumbs..." obviously is.

I feel that the song would be far more powerful and effective and...poetic, I guess...were that last concrete verse not in there. Bono doesn't sing it on the DVD, and I hope that we can look forward to similar live versions, in the future. Without that verse, the song is still about Africa and AIDS and so forth...but it can also be about a lover, a family member, a friend...shit, it could even be about a bank, man! With that verse, the song can only be one thing...for me, that's a loss.

Yes, there has been. It's called Stuck In A Moment. I don't understand why some fans hate it with a passion. I don't even think these people should have any business calling themselves fans.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Yes, there has been. It's called Stuck In A Moment. I don't understand why some fans hate it with a passion. I don't even think these people should have any business calling themselves fans.

Cheers,

J

Well there's the pot calling the kettle black.

You've managed to post about 5 miserable posts in the last half an hour. Jaysus.

Have a mince pie and cheer up!

I would suggest that some of the dislike of "Crumbs" comes from its subject matter.

The U2 community is divided over the extent of Bono's humanitarian endeavors, especially regarding the AIDS pandemic in Africa. While most U2 fans/followers either wholeheartedly support the B-man (which I do) or at least agree with his right to do what he feels he must for others, there is a small yet very vocal minority of people who feel that Bono should stay out of humanitarian pursuits, especially when it involves dealing with dodgy politicians and organized religion.

It is these same individuals who overwhelmingly are the "Crumbs" haters. I really think that the underlying reason that they don't like "Crumbs" is that it makes them feel uncomfortable with their lack of involvement in the Global AIDS movement and antipoverty organizations.

So they cover their lack of concern with spite for "Crumbs" because the song is a reminder to them of their disdain for these social problems.

"Crumbs" is a MAGNIFICENT SONG - one that challenges us to get out of our comfort zones and show our concern for the world's poorest people. And that challenge in the song makes some people uncomfortable and thus, they hate the song.

They should really challenge themselves to become more involved with justice for the world's poor. :yes:

My ideas. Thanks so much for this thread.:wink:

HelloAngel said:
I really like Crumbs but not Original of the Species.. so :shrug: Ah well.

Angel, I wasn't sold on this song at first either...Species that is, but now I have come to fully enjoy and love its pop sensibilities. The quiet begining and quiet frenzy it builds in the end are genius. How U2 pull off a song like OOTS without sounding completely "pop cheesy" amazes me.

And someone did mention AMAAW. I think that song is the song most people don't like. What I like about it is the acoustic guitar and the stunning bass. The lyrics are alright, but it's still a tight tune.

It's a decent song. *shrugs* If you pay attention the the survivor posts, is seems more like ABOY is the hated one....:huh:

Jim said:

Well there's the pot calling the kettle black.

You've managed to post about 5 miserable posts in the last half an hour. Jaysus.

Have a mince pie and cheer up!

:lol:

Sorry,, off topic, but i needed a good laugh

the tourist said:
It's a decent song. *shrugs* If you pay attention the the survivor posts, is seems more like ABOY is the hated one....:huh:

:eyebrow:
Which was voted out first??? ABOY(My favorite :happy:) is better liked, overall, than AMAAW(My least favorite :barf:), but ABOY is violently disliked by certain individuals(who should die a painful and ironic death! :mac: ).

AMAAW is the only song on HTDAAB that I despise. I can't listen to it.:(

As for a extremely controvesial song... I vote the entire Pop album, with Miami on top. Everyone gets foaming at the mouth when they discuss Pop. I like those songs okay (favorite=SATS), but they just don't 'do it' for me.

Back
Top Bottom