Has there been any review of ES by media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't seen one, but it doesn't matter what they think. I never let the media influence my taste or decisons!

I'm sure we'll see some, keep checking youtwo.net!

Any reviews at this time?

Are there any reviews at this time? I know the song isn't officially released but there must be someone out there voicing their opinion beside us. Not that I care much, but I just want to know if they :love: ES as much as I do. Since ES, IMHO, is the best thing since Pop, I'm just curious....:yes:

GypsyHeartgirl said:
I haven't seen one, but it doesn't matter what they think. I never let the media influence my taste or decisons!

I'm sure we'll see some, keep checking youtwo.net!

GypsyHeartgirl,

I work too damn hard at keeping U2News.com and Interference.com up to date on U2 news and happenings. If you want to pimp for another site so be it, but realize that it's a slap in the face to me and my hours of hard work.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with someone suggesting another site...."pimping for another site" is a bit harsh...

Anyhow, I did offer to help you out.....

HelloAngel said:

GypsyHeartgirl,

I work too damn hard at keeping U2News.com and Interference.com up to date on U2 news and happenings. If you want to pimp for another site so be it, but realize that it's a slap in the face to me and my hours of hard work.

What's wrong with pimping other sites? All U2 sites are allies, not enemies. Every U2 site should be complementary and not adversary. Obviously, your hardly epitomize what a U2 fan is all about.

Cheers,

J

why do I feel like I'm going to get myself in trouble for this post :rolleyes:

Does it *actually* matter where we get our U2 news?

So what that I check youtwo.net everday for the news.

It's the site I like.

Just because we are a part of this forum doesn't mean we owe blind allegiance to this site and it's affiliates.

I'm not part of an organization because I post here. I appreciate what this site is and the hard work that you, Joel and others put into interference.com, but it doesn't mean I'm not going to use other U2 sites. That's pure bollocks.

No offense HelloAngel, but if you put your life in this site for recognition and a loyal following, you might be in the wrong business. It's about being part of a community. That means all U2 fans on the internet, being able to serve the fans, promoting the band you love, and doing it for the love of it, not for the recognition or reward.

It isn't a competition.

Don't believe the hype.

Last edited:
The harsh, and sad, reality is that to some... it is a competition....

Let me point an example out:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64423

We have the first CLEAN mp3s of ES -- have for almost 12 hrs now... but yet, you see none of the other u2 news sites posting about this, however, if a different site had the tracks.. it would have been posted within minutes. Perhaps this is a story of david and goliath... but isnt it those other u2 news sites now that are doing a disservice to the u2 fans by ignoring that fact that the tracks are out now? It is mighty funny how you will never see mention of Interference, or U2 Feedback, on several of these other sites... Odd isn't it? I mean, Feedback IS the largest U2 fan community. 10,100+ members... kinda hard to ignore, no?

I'm not here to compete, I'm here because I love U2.

If I were here to compete, and win, I would have closed the doors, and gone home long ago.

Personally, I appreciate HelloAngel's hard work and I also do understand her frustrations - - just read my example above.. it's not hard to get frustrated by.

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to
Carry each other
Carry each other

I think some of our fellow U2 fans have forgotten what 'One' is all about.

Joel,

Can I ask this (and I'm not trying to be a prick or anything), but do you think that maybe moderators of other sites feel slighted by this site? Has there been any attempt to reach out to those sites? Youtwo.net has been a great source of U2 news for a long time, so why create u2news.com if for no other reason than to try and draw people away from other sites. Is there an advantage to u2news.com over youtwo.net? I'm just using this as an example. As far as forums go, you're right, there is no competition. Since Wire disintigrated, this place has become the only legitimate place, in my mind at least, for u2 discussion. Zootopia could be the place, but it's annoying to use, and the discussion, at least early on. sucked.

My point is, why is there a split? I mean, a place like u2log.com serves a certain role in the u2 internet "economy" so to speak, just as atu2.com and u2station.com do as well.

If other sites don't recognize this site, there must be a reason. People don't just arbitrarily get pissed off at other people unless they percieve a slight or something. Why not reach out to other u2 sites, or do you like being exclusive?

Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight or be a prick, but I am curious. I tend to see a lot of trumping up of interference.com around here, some is well justified, but I can't help but wonder if there isn't a bit of antagonism coming from this end as well.

Just my thoughts.

Elvis said:
The harsh, and sad, reality is that to some... it is a competition....

Let me point an example out:

http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64423

We have the first CLEAN mp3s of ES -- have for almost 12 hrs now... but yet, you see none of the other u2 news sites posting about this,

I think some of our fellow U2 fans have forgotten what 'One' is all about.

You fail to realize that mp3 releases are not "news" per se. Strictly speaking, mp3's are even condemned by the RIAA (although U2 is all for it). If U2 news sites would suddenly be obligated to report as "news" every single new U2 file up for download, the absurdity will never end. The next thing we know, people will be whining why their new U2 wallpapers or real media files are no in the news. Generally, news is news and news sites should put them up. But unofficial mp3's are not news, and the news sites should have full discretion on whether to report them as news or not.

Besides, if the other U2 sites are being adversarial and discriminatory to you, don't fight eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. That would be against the principles of U2. Fight back with love, with forgiveness, and with grace.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Actually, the news about the mp3's is on u2guatemala today. I read all of the U2 web sites, and I think thay all have something to contribute to the U2 fan community.

And I have to honestly say, I agree w/ popkid's posts. I think he stated it elequently and w/ absolutely no disrespect. Sorry, but honestly, I would be offended if a moderator told me I was 'pimping' for another site just because I posted something like that. I have sent a few articles to Hello Angel to try to help out.

I don't want to say anything else, but it does confuse me and make me sad, this type of attitude.

jick said:

You fail to realize that mp3 releases are not "news" per se. Strictly speaking, mp3's are even condemned by the RIAA (although U2 is all for it). If U2 news sites would suddenly be obligated to report as "news" every single new U2 file up for download, the absurdity will never end. The next thing we know, people will be whining why their new U2 wallpapers or real media files are no in the news. Generally, news is news and news sites should put them up. But unofficial mp3's are not news, and the news sites should have full discretion on whether to report them as news or not.

Besides, if the other U2 sites are being adversarial and discriminatory to you, don't fight eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth. That would be against the principles of U2. Fight back with love, with forgiveness, and with grace.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

J,

I don't have any intent on 'fighting' at all. This is a hobby, something that once I stop enjoying... I will stop doing it. It's come very close at times, even once VERY recently, due to one other u2 webmaster sending off nasty emails to just about every company I deal with. You may say 'oh, dont let the bastards grind you down', but you know.. its just not that simple.

To say this, I've tried, many times over, to extend the olive branch to others... but ego apparently gets in the way.

As for mp3s being news.... J, they sure have been recently when something new hits the net.

The elistist mailing list group 'exit' has had similar mp3s for almost a week.... and just keeps things to themselves instead of sharing with other U2 fans. Kinda pathetic really. "lets keep U2 to ourselves". Lame.

Ive been involved in the u2 online community since 1994... and its those types of people who drove me to create Interference.com and later this forum.

I don't know, I get my U2 fix from all over the U2 community. I get my news from @U2, my gossip from Interference, my laughs about the band from U2Log... And I visit plenty of other places too. There are a lot of good sites out there, I don't restrict myself and I don't think anyone else should either.

In all honesty, Elvis, I usually forget there is a news section here at Interference. I didn't start coming to Interference for U2 News, so I tend to forget you even have it. (I don't even go to the main page, my bookmark takes me right to the forums.) So, it's not that I don't appreciate your site (I certainly do!) I just choose to get different various things out of this site.

I don't think Gypsy should have been attacked for what I'm sure was an innocent comment.

Hello Angel's response to GypsyHG was harsh and out of line, because I agree that it was probably an innocent comment rather than a blatant attempt to undercut Interference's news staff and/or promote another site. It could have been more appropriately handled, perhaps even with a PM. I think that's the main issue here.

Just my two cents.

You guys,

First of all, I sincerely apologize. I am not a harsh person, and it was not my intention to be nasty. I can't take it back, but I can clarify, and do not have a problem doing so.

Secondly, yes, I do work very hard on the news and other aspects of our community. And sometimes, it stings to see other sites mentioned without reference to the fine news offerings/project Interference has created for the community.

Thirdly, I have no problem with other U2 sites. There are many brilliant U2 fan sites, news sites, tour archives, etc., out there. And competition for the most hits, members, viewers,.. can be a bit crazy. I'm not a competitive person., and can and do see merit in all, and respect all U2 fan/new site offerings. I would never presume to tell people where to get any information re: U2. We all offer something different, and this might be why you do see so many sites out there.

I apologize if previous comments seemed rude. I assure you, that's not how I meant them. It was more of a "hey, what about us" type of thing. Nothing more. Nothing feisty.

As for people who don't know me suggesting that I do not epitomize what it means to be a U2 fan, all I can say is, I don't know what epitomizes a fan, because I don't judge people based on off-handed comments they might make.. I wouldn't presume to make a whole judgement about a stranger's character in that fashion. I happen to think the world of all of you, which is why I work so hard (as do all mods and admins) to make Interference an awesome place to congregate., not because I am consumed with fandom or being the Best. It's the happiness and smiles I crave - not the accolades or the recognition. :)

Anyhow, I hope that helped clarify things. Have a good weekend everyone. :wave:

keep up the good work HAngel

maybe using the word pimping was a bit harsh, but I do not believe HelloAngel was trying to be extremely nasty

no matter which way you look at it, it is a bit strange to read at Interference that if you want U2 news you should check another site, because:
1. you don't have to go to other sites to read the news first (so the statement made was not correct)
since
2. we have got someone HERE spending a lot of time doing about the same thing those other sites are doing

Concerning the original topic of this thread: While I haven't seen any actual review of the song, I did hear a postive exchange yesterday morning on radio:

While driving to work, Electrical Storm came on WHJY radio (94.1 in Providence RI, where I have heard it more than any Boston station). Whne the song ended, the morning DJ team, Paul and Al came on, one said "That was Elecrtical Storm, the new song from U2 to be included on their upcoming greatest hits CD. I'm really Digging that one" His partner went on to say "I'm sorry (at this point I'm expecting him to dis U2), but no band over the last 20 years has written so many great songs as U2 has". At this point the other DJ is saying "Stones suck, Stones suck" which I'm guessing is his way of saying he doesn't like the new Stones single. DJ 2 continues "I mean really these guys just write such great music..."
Pretty good endorsement I thought.

Last edited:
Elvis said:

This is a hobby, something that once I stop enjoying... I will stop doing it. It's come very close at times, even once VERY recently,

The elistist mailing list group 'exit' has had similar mp3s for almost a week.... and just keeps things to themselves instead of sharing with other U2 fans. Kinda pathetic really. "lets keep U2 to ourselves". Lame.

Ive been involved in the u2 online community since 1994... and its those types of people who drove me to create Interference.com and later this forum.

I understand where you are coming from and would like to commend you for your dedication and passion for the online U2 fans.

Where is this Exit mailing list and how can I join? If you can see in my profile, it is only less than a month since I joined this forum, I never even knew it existed! Cool forum you have here really. It would be great if I could see how elitist this Exit mailing list is.

As for your forum, it seems to be a great everyman's U2 forum to cater to all. The problem is that there seems to be way too many "clones" and "alter-egos" here. Thank God I don't stoop to such low levels.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

HelloAngel said:
You guys,

First of all, I sincerely apologize. I am not a harsh person, and it was not my intention to be nasty. I can't take it back, but I can clarify, and do not have a problem doing so.

I apologize if previous comments seemed rude. I assure you, that's not how I meant them. It was more of a "hey, what about us" type of thing. Nothing more. Nothing feisty.

Anyhow, I hope that helped clarify things. Have a good weekend everyone. :wave:

Apology accepted! It sure was just an overreaction on your part to use these seemingly harsh words, but it is a normal thing because you have worked countless hours to make a U2 news site, although I've never seen it yet, I am sure it is your labor of love.

Cheers,

J

jick said:

Where is this Exit mailing list and how can I join? If you can see in my profile, it is only less than a month since I joined this forum, I never even knew it existed! Cool forum you have here really. It would be great if I could see how elitist this Exit mailing list is.

J,

Even if you knew where it was, it wouldn't matter. It's so elitist that the only way you can join is by being a friend of another member, and having them NOMINATE you for membership, you then have to be second'ed by another member. If ANYONE on the list doesn't like you, or questions your validity, you will be denied access to join the list. Really loving U2 fans, huh? Some people on the list include Prarit (youtwo.net) and Matt (atu2.com). I, of course, am not a member of that list. To me, it's really kind of sad that 2 webmasters of two of the other most known U2 FAN sites are part of a secret little elitist club, which keeps most U2 fans OUT because they don't think most people are good enough.

Exit was formed because some of the original members were unhappy with the original Wire mailing list-- but instead of jsut forming an alternative for everyone, they made it NOMINATION only.

Did anybody answer the question of the post or is everyone still fighting over fuckin' web sites. Wjust passed 9/11 and I can see everyone's priorities are in the right place :tsk:

To help I have not seen any actual media reviews

Sorry

gherman said:
Wjust passed 9/11 and I can see everyone's priorities are in the right place :tsk:
if you want to look at it that none of us should waste our time on a website dedicated to a rockband

but we are all here
:tsk:

Oh crap- I hadn't been back to this thread, I had no idea there was a discussion about me! Thanks to everyone who said I didn't mean any harm, because I didn't. I really just assumed we all checked all the sites whenever we were on and I had no idea there was any kind of competition. I know better now.

Thanks again to those who understood and spoke up for me. I really appreciate it! :hug: :)

Crap ..

Elvis said:

J,

Even if you knew where it was, it wouldn't matter. It's so elitist that the only way you can join is by being a friend of another member, and having them NOMINATE you for membership, you then have to be second'ed by another member. If ANYONE on the list doesn't like you, or questions your validity, you will be denied access to join the list. Really loving U2 fans, huh? Some people on the list include Prarit (youtwo.net) and Matt (atu2.com). I, of course, am not a member of that list. To me, it's really kind of sad that 2 webmasters of two of the other most known U2 FAN sites are part of a secret little elitist club, which keeps most U2 fans OUT because they don't think most people are good enough.

Exit was formed because some of the original members were unhappy with the original Wire mailing list-- but instead of jsut forming an alternative for everyone, they made it NOMINATION only.

Hello Elvis! I have been in U2 lists for the past 5 years and never ever used aliases, so everyone knows me as "J". So how come nobody has invited me to exit yet? Heheheheh! How many members do they actually have? Ten? Twenty? Hahahaha!

I do remember contributing wallpapers to interference many years back (now U2literary.com is hosting them). Is u2literary.com an "enemy" website? Also whatever happened to Deseree Stukes, is she still in this site contrbuting? How is she? Tell her I said Hi!

Cheers,

J

Re: Crap ..

jick said:

Hello Elvis! I have been in U2 lists for the past 5 years and never ever used aliases, so everyone knows me as "J". So how come nobody has invited me to exit yet? Heheheheh! How many members do they actually have? Ten? Twenty? Hahahaha!

I do remember contributing wallpapers to interference many years back (now U2literary.com is hosting them). Is u2literary.com an "enemy" website? Also whatever happened to Deseree Stukes, is she still in this site contrbuting? How is she? Tell her I said Hi!

Cheers,

J

J,

Yes... I know who you are :) hehe....
Interference doesn't have enemy sites... more like there are other sites that just dont like to play nice. I don't have time to deal with negative people/sites like that... so I try to just keep myself, and Interference, moving forward. I TRY to not let the bastards grind me down. I actually REALLY like u2literary.com.... it's rare these days to have a new (relatively) u2 site that offers something unique. Deseree Stukes stopped working on Interference, uhm, over 2 yrs ago. She seemed to pretty much burn out of the U2 online stuff... I did speak with her a few months ago - just to check up on her :)

Oh, and the reason the people in EXIT probably haven't invited you to their lil' club... simple... you're outspoken, hold an opinion of your own, and start incredibly long discussions sometimes questioning U2. Lol, that's just my educated guess though... ;)

Joel

Re: Re: Crap ..

Elvis said:

J,

Yes... I know who you are :) hehe....
Interference doesn't have enemy sites... more like there are other sites that just dont like to play nice. I don't have time to deal with negative people/sites like that... so I try to just keep myself, and Interference, moving forward. I TRY to not let the bastards grind me down. I actually REALLY like u2literary.com.... it's rare these days to have a new (relatively) u2 site that offers something unique. Deseree Stukes stopped working on Interference, uhm, over 2 yrs ago. She seemed to pretty much burn out of the U2 online stuff... I did speak with her a few months ago - just to check up on her :)

Oh, and the reason the people in EXIT probably haven't invited you to their lil' club... simple... you're outspoken, hold an opinion of your own, and start incredibly long discussions sometimes questioning U2. Lol, that's just my educated guess though... ;)

Joel

I was in EXIT for a while - left in 1998. I felt the group was overly elitist, which I do not associate with "all things U2."

Interestingly enough, I left EXIT at the same time Deseree and I had a disagreement.

Either way, you ain't missing much J.

1. no i have not heard any media response to the single. im expecting to hear more when the album comes out.

2. i think the misunderstanding here was a combination of 2 acceptable items. helloangel feels she doesnt get the respect she deserves and because she puts as much time and effort into the news section as she does, she felt provoked to respond in an emotional way. i dont believe anyone really meant any harm, and its nice to see everyone responded to the whole thing in a nice way.

were a happy family.

Back
Top Bottom