"Hard rock" U2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Which songs do you think would appeal most to hard rock fans? I'm gonna send some of my friends who are all into Metallica, but think U2 is "gay pop sh*t" CDs for Christmas.
Right now I've got.

God Part II (live)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (live)
The Fly (probably live)
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me (popmart mexico)
Bullet the Blue Sky (Zoo TV or Elevation)
Exit (live, notice a pattern?)
Like a Song
Discotheque(probably live)
Last Night on Earth
Elevation (Irving Plaza)
New York (live)
Gone (Boston)

Any ammendments?

Dirty zzDay ( live from sydney )
Out Of Control
Miami ( Israel , Telavive , live )

p.s. 1100 clock tick tock
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by IvanClaytonJnr (edited 12-10-2001).]

Because I'm far too lazy to write down a bunch of songs, I'll just say "War."

Most metal heads I know actually like War, or at least respect it. If that record isn't hard hitting in-your-face raw passionate power, I don't know what is. Even on low volume, it goes to 11.
wink.gif

Ivan -

do you know of any site I can get a great live version of "Miami" ? I only have it for the Las Vegas show.

~Zoo~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Maybe you could add their cover of Won?t get Fooled Again, from Irving Plaza, does that one count? hmmm, maybe not
biggrin.gif

Also Hawkmoon 269 and All Along the Watchtower (from R & H), Zoo Station and Desire (from Zoo Europa bootleg)

------------------
"To me a rock and roll concert is 3-D, it?s a physical thing - it?s rhythm for the body. It?s a mental thing in that it should be intellectually challenging. But it?s also a spiritual thing, because it?s a community, it?s people agreeing on something, even if it?s only for an hour and a half." (Bono, as quoted in the book U2 The Road to Pop)

What's the best live version of Out of Control to use? The studio is good, but the energy is always amazing live. I know I'm NOT gonna use Cork's Opera House, funny as it is.

I always thought New Year's Day was hard rock, for them! Other 'hard' songs (for them) are BTBS, Gone, Elevation, and what about When Love Comes to Town? That's bluesy rock like the Stones or Led Zeppelin. I must say that Discotheque is the most anti-rock song they ever did IMO and most rock fans I know laughed their asses off at it. BTBS may be the hardest thing they have ever done. I Will Follow rocked hard on the Boston DVD concert. (Not that I have one of course *sniff* but I heard it on VH-1 and the free promo CD.) I never thought of it or Gone as hard rock songs until I heard them on the Elevation tour, now they kick ass! Oh, I also want to add EBBTRT, UTEOTW and Zoo Station!

[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 12-10-2001).]

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
I must say that Discotheque is the most anti-rock song they ever did IMO and most rock fans I know laughed their asses off at it.
[This message has been edited by U2Kitten (edited 12-10-2001).]

I don't think so. I think the guitar riff in the song kicks so much raw arse, live anyway, it's F*&%^ sick!

try the Staring At The Sun Remixes...they rock!

------------------
Nate

"No particular place names
No particular song
I've been hiding
What am I hiding from?"

-Zooropa

Until The End Of The World

My choice would be the Notre Dame boot. That song kicks some major rock'n'roll ass live.

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

Definitely the version of 'Bullet The Blue Sky' from Zooeuropa (Dublin, '93). Amazing, amazing version, and very hard rocking. The best version of HMTMKM I've heard is from the Shalome Popmart.

Oh, almost forgot, the live version of 'Acrobat' is pretty incredible, too. (hehe)

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
I don't think so. I think the guitar riff in the song kicks so much raw arse, live anyway, it's F*&%^ sick!

Doesn't matter how much ass it kicks, you're never gonna win over a metal head with a song called "Discotheque"

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 12-11-2001).]

Huh. Metallica - The Make-up Years.
rolleyes.gif

I would put BTBS either first or last for effect - they'll love that one. The Fly and Elevation are good too.

Originally posted by Clark W. Griswold, Jr:
Doesn't matter how much ass it kicks, you're never gonna win over a metal head with a song called "Discotheque"

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 12-11-2001).]

It's already worked on 2 people I know.

Back
Top Bottom