Happy Sinterklaas thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloria

The Fly
Because my other thread turned out to be not a happy thread I start this one.

Today in The Netherlands is a national holiday because of Sinterklaas. It is celebrated each year on December 5th and it is about an Saint (like Santa Claus) who gives presents to children every year he is in town. It is a really nice holiday so I want to whish you all a happy Sinterklaas!

Gloria

Hello Gloria...I've never been wished a happy Sinterklaas before, so thanks, and I wish you back a happy holiday there in the Netherlands.

Chris

------------------
"That's what's happening to U2 on tour in the United States at the moment - we're just a conduit for all this joy and hope and despair and it's all coming out - People say, 'Oh, Rock and Roll is great - just takes people's minds off of it' - No. That is not our job. Our job is to take people's minds through it." --Bono's take on the Elevation Tour since 9/11

sinterklaas.gif

Hello,

I'm eagerly awaiting my presents.
I've been a good boy a whole year long.

smile.gif

Marty (who still prefers the Saint Nicolas holiday to Christmas when it comes to presents)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

shhh Gloria**cass looks over her shoulder to make sure her kids aren't reading this** another gift-giving day? Do you also give gifts on 25/26th December?
How good, popmartijn? **cass notices some advance tickets for the next leg of the U2 tour in Sinterklaas's sack**
Happy Sinterklaas 2U, the children and the kids at heart.

please don't mention pepernoten

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by cass:
**cass looks over her shoulder to make sure her kids aren't reading this** another gift-giving day? Do you also give gifts on 25/26th December?

YES!!! DO YOU HEAR THAT KIDS!!! GIFTS WITH SINTERKLAAS AND WITH CHRISTMAS!!! TELL CASS I SAID SO!
wink.gif

But it is true, people also give presents with Christmas, although maybe not as many as others. On the other hand, we don't have Thanksgiving...

How good, popmartijn? **cass notices some advance tickets for the next leg of the U2 tour in Sinterklaas's sack**

I've been a very good boy. I work hard, study hard and I haven't harrassed my sister
smile.gif
(OK, she's not living near me at the moment, but still). I've always brushed my teeth and I clean my room. In short, I've been a very good boy.

Marty (who's still on the lookout for more pepernoten)

P.S. Some useless trivia here, but today (December 6) is the actual birthday of Sinterklaas. Yesterday was just an excercise in giving away presents.

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by cass:
shhh Gloria**cass looks over her shoulder to make sure her kids aren't reading this** another gift-giving day? Do you also give gifts on 25/26th December?

Sorry;-) Cass. But most people here either give presents at Sinterklaas or Christmas. Only a few very lucky ones (like Popmartijn) celebrate both with presents.

Since I was a good girl I got a lot of presents yesterday and way too many pepernoten (traditional Sinterklaassweets) so I feel both happy and sick right now.

We don't celebrate Sinterklaas anymore because my parents and friends prefer Christmas.
mad.gif

I didn't get anything in my shoe this year either except for a chocoladeletter V and my name starts with an M.

My family is mostly German. We celebrated St. Nicholas Day when we were children. My mom would leave us one small present by our bed when we woke up on St. Nicholas Day. The rest of the presents we'd get on Christmas morning.

Here's a link to a brief history on St. Nicholas: http://www.kidsdomain.com/holiday/xmas/around/stnicholas.html

------------------
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein

www.geocities.com/u2_celebrate/u2_celebration.html

http://www.geocities.com/u2dallas2001/DallasTX.html

http://www.geocities.com/u2austin2001/U2AustinTX.html

Back
Top Bottom