Happy Birthday POP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still sounds as good to me now as it did the first time I heard it :up:

*waits for the wave of Pop-haters to descend on the thread*

i re-discovered POP and it has grown a lot on me during the last few weeks (after bashing for nearly 7 years). i still think that discotheque is too long. a shorter version would have been better imo. i've always liked MOFO, GONE, MIAMI & PLAYBOY MANSION. but now i see the power (drums) on DYFL and the (erotic) power of VELVET DRESS.
IGWSHA is a good song with a superb video (the intense colors and the great idea behind the parallel scenes in the diner)
still don't like SATS, LNOE & DISCOTHEQUE too much.

jacobus said:
i re-discovered POP and it has grown a lot on me during the last few weeks (after bashing for nearly 7 years). i still think that discotheque is too long. a shorter version would have been better imo. i've always liked MOFO, GONE, MIAMI & PLAYBOY MANSION. but now i see the power (drums) on DYFL and the (erotic) power of VELVET DRESS.
IGWSHA is a good song with a superb video (the intense colors and the great idea behind the parallel scenes in the diner)
still don't like SATS, LNOE & DISCOTHEQUE too much.

try the acoustic SATS. its incredible!

Boom Cha, Boom Cha
This ain't no party
This ain't no disco
This ain't no foolin' around

Happy friggin' birthday Pop, miss you sugar.

We haven´t been to bed in a week
we´ll be dead soon and then we´ll sleep.........
YOU GOT TO GIVE IT AWAY...GIVE IT AWAY.............:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I like how it still sounds fresh... in fact there's alot of new music that has something from POP sound(production) in them realeased right now.
For example listen to the new Beck's song, the one with strange (but cool) CGanimated video... it sounds like being from POP.
That's probably the problem of U2, they always make music sounding diferent than enything at the time (in the 80's and in the 90s, it's a diferent story right now).
My guess is that POP was released exactly 8 years to soon. Released today it would be like almost everything out there (I mean those more ambitious bands not some JustinBrotneyUshers).
I remember the first (and for a long time the only) review of POP I ever read, it was something like: "...well U2 are already in 21st century and while the rest of the world still have to deal with SpiceGirls-and-BeckstreetBoys-like music and while most great bands (here he said something about Oasis and PearlJam) are slowly disapearing... we all should listen to this probaly (it was only March) the best album of the year. U2 are back and they're back with a great style. The rest of the music world should quickly follow them."

Happy Birthday Pop!! I'll have to listen to some Boom-Cha's tonight to celebrate. :)

Pop sounds absolutely magnificent, one of the best music of U2's super catalogue

Its really amazing, i love Discotheque, Please, Mofo, Do you feel loved! what a great song......If God Will Send his Angels is so pretty, and Gone is just one of the best U2 songs ever

I think Pop is a masterpiece
Who else does think this way?

Nube Gris said:
Pop sounds absolutely magnificent, one of the best music of U2's super catalogue

Its really amazing, i love Discotheque, Please, Mofo, Do you feel loved! what a great song......If God Will Send his Angels is so pretty, and Gone is just one of the best U2 songs ever

A masterpiece? :hmm: OK, I agree:D

Nube Gris said:

Pop is such a terrific masterpiece, I agree :bow: :yes: :up: ... last U2 masterpiece if you ask me ;)

I still remember going at midnight to pick it up. There were plenty of U2 fans (long line) and I was so pumped to hear the album as I knew I was going to see them in Vegas a month later. Pop is such an underated U2 album. It is in my top 3 and will always hold a special place in heart.

yeah it is, growing old like great wine
It has some of the best Bono lyrics also.....

Im still sad the band could not perform more songs live, and had to drop some of them, im sure it could have become a real smash

Think of this setlist:

Pop muzik
Mofo
Discotheque
Do You Feel Loved
If God Will Send His Angels
Miami
Gone
Last Night On Earth
Until The End of The World

Acoustic
Desire
Staring At The Sun
Sunday Bloody Sunday

I Will Follow
Please
Where The Streets Have No Name/Playboy Mansion
Pride In The Name Of Love

Hold Me, Thrill Me Kiss Me.....
If You wear that.....
Mysterious Ways
One
Wake Up Dead Man

this thread just made me depressed because i suddenly feel old. i can't believe that was 8 years ago already.

mikal said:
this thread just made me depressed because i suddenly feel old. i can't believe that was 8 years ago already.

I know what you feel...
I became a fan two years before POP and a fanatic a year before POP, so it's my first U2 album that I was waiting for, first album I was reading rumors about, first "dissapointment" when I didn't get a full "elecronic, trip-hop" album that Bono was describing (since then I stopped listening to Bono's future album descriptions and his hype buliding)...and all that 8 years ago...:ohmy:

To be honest, Bono's "punk rock made on Venus" is a good description of POP, IMO.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom