Happy Birthday POP!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aaaah POP..
Definitly one of the best U2 albums.
It's 2nd (together with JT and UF) in line after Achtung Baby.
And it sounds terrific on my U2 i-Pod..
But I still don't like Discotheque. It's not bad, but I think it wasn't the right choice as a first single.

Happy birthday to Pop, the album that causes the most contradictory opinions! It amuses me how some people say it's so incredibly progressive while others say it was a lame ripoff of what others had already done. It takes a unique album to cause such division, I say. (I just opened the door to the bashers, didn't I? :reject: That's not my intent!)

And Gone is one of the best songs ever made. :rockon:

8 years old, eh? Wow...let's see, that means I would've been 12 when this came out (would be turning 13 later that year). Man...

Anywho, happy birthday to Pop (and to those who have upcoming birthdays here :wave: :)). 'Tis definitely a great album...I should listen to it sometime today in honor of it being 8 years old and everything :hmm:...

Angela

I'm not a Pop hater but.......I do feel the album was a mite over ambitious and maybe tried too hard to do a rock version of the Chemical Brothers. From that period I prefer Zooropa. Sorry for raining on the parade.

I found the album incredibly exciting. First single Discotheque had me hopping and bopping. Upon release, I loved the album instantly, even after it sank in that Pop gets really, really dark as it goes.

Gone really shocked me. The screaming airplane Edge guitar mixed with Bono's plaintive lyrics about giving up his suit of lights made me realize that time was passing, that we were all getting older, and that someday there would be no U2. I still feel Gone is one of the strongest songs ANY rock band has ever crafted.

Last Night on Earth is rock/pop heaven and still knocks my socks off.

And then there was the magnificent tour... I could go on for hours.

Happy Birthday Pop. You were, and still are, one of my very favorite U2 creations.:wink:

Happy Birthday POP, mindblowing album and one of the best tours to follow in rock history!

I cant believe it has been over 8 years since the boys were at KMART....saying welcome Popmart shoppers!

I've been listening to Pop a lot lately. But I've subtracted some things and added some things:

Discotheque (New Mix)
Do You Feel Loved
Mofo
If God Will Send His Angeles (Single)
Staring At The Sun (New Mix)
Last Night On Earth (Single)
Gone
Miami
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please (Single)
Wake Up Dead Man

I don't care for The Playboy Mansion at all. I am also thinking of taking away IYWTVD, just because of how badly it's mixed. I think it would be infinitely better if I could actually hear the damn vocals. I really wish the boys had had a few extra months to finish the album, because all of the single versions of the songs are FANTASTIC. I don't care much for the new mix of Gone...the original one is far superior. I don't like how Bono sings in the new version, it sounds too much like 2002 Bono, the way it's delivered. If that makes any sense. It's too overly-dramatic and waily. I like the more controlled version from 1997.

I can't believe it's already 8 years old! Happy Birthday, Pop!

-Miggy

Except Last Night On Earth, I like all "album versions" much better than "single or new versions"...
Please on the album is a Larrys song, the drums are:drool: , sorry but I like this better than a small solo from the Edge; and this solo is even nothing special, not to mention annoying strings in the background...
Gone on the album is also much better, there's the piano, reminds me of Mysterious Ways... not to mention Bono's voice is better.
Discotheque - no comment, album version much better than the new mix.
SATS - totaly destroyed in "new mix"...
IGWSHA - album version is longer = album version is better (since when "less U2" is better than "more U2":huh: ), burn in hell single vesrion!:mad:

IYWTVD is mixed perfectly, it's all made intentionaly, Bono is not singing at the beggining, he's whispering...

BTW - the album is finished... you know, they were selling it in the shops and not a single song ended in the middle of playing it...:rolleyes:

Yes Axver Pop is a unique album and Gone is one of the greatest songs ever made!

Still remember hearing it a week before its oficial release, a guy just came up with a cassete with this tunes........and Wow i was completely lost in it, you know, it blew me away, the mystery of what to expect, all the anticipation, i mean never ever had experienced that feeling before!
At that time it seemed that U2 were on top of the whole universe, maybe the way they are right now, but everybodys feeling of wondering what would they do next was just amazing

All this aura really got me, and by the time i reached Wake Up Dead Man i had a feeling this 4 guys were not from this world, i was a bit afraid!
Don't know if im expressing myself correctly....sorry guys

Velvet Dress + Please + Wake Up Dead Man is one of my fav U2 song sequences. original please version though, the single is much better done, but it is bookended by strings which just don't transition well into Dead Man.

Pop ends up on such a downer. it's wonderful :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Looking for a sound that's going to drown out the world...

Happy Birthday POP and to the people here who's birthdays are coming up.

Miggy D said:
I don't care much for the new mix of Gone...the original one is far superior. I don't like how Bono sings in the new version, it sounds too much like 2002 Bono, the way it's delivered. If that makes any sense. It's too overly-dramatic and waily. I like the more controlled version from 1997.

-Miggy

Totally agree! :yes:

bsp77 said:

Mine too! I'll be 28. How bout you?

I had a cat born that day, I had him 4 years and sadly he disappeared in 2001. He was Bono Kitty's grandfather :sigh: :sad: So this day reminds me of him.

I hated Pop so much when it first came out, but over time my opinion has totally changed. I love Gone, Please, Mofo, Do You Feel Loved, If You Wear That Velvet Dress and Last Night On Earth.

Pop is the only album in my life that I tried so hard to love, even though I was initially disappointed.

Time, however, has proven this album to be a great one for me. Nowhere near my favorite U2 album, but still a great one to listen to all these years later.

bathiu said:

I know what you feel...
I became a fan two years before POP and a fanatic a year before POP, so it's my first U2 album that I was waiting for, first album I was reading rumors about, first "dissapointment" when I didn't get a full "elecronic, trip-hop" album that Bono was describing (since then I stopped listening to Bono's future album descriptions and his hype buliding)...and all that 8 years ago...:ohmy:

lol, I was the same way w/ HTDAAB, casual fan 2 years before, Megafan the next year. And I believed the "punk rock on Venus" stuff, makes me feel foolish:wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

lol, I was the same way w/ HTDAAB, casual fan 2 years before, Megafan the next year. And I believed the "punk rock on Venus" stuff, makes me feel foolish:wink:

hehe, now you know what to expect in the future...
POP is not electronic/dance/techno record, ATYCLB is not "titanium soul"/back to basics (in fact it has more annoying, electronic sounds than POP:ohmy:; from the most cheesy intro in U2's history to BD, to the last song - Grace) and HTDAAB is not "punk rock from Venus"...
but that's Bono... :D

Back
Top Bottom