Happy Birthday ATYCLB!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
albums_all_that_you_cant.jpg

All That You Can't Leave Behind was released on this day 12 months ago...its the 31st here in aussie right now so i think that covers both dates depending on where u live!

Here are a couple of the reviews of the album which we all read over and over in anticipation
smile.gif

Rolling Stone: http://www.rollingstone.com/recordings/review.asp?aid=78063&cf=45

Q Magazine: http://www.q4music.com/q4musicstore/DisplayProductDetails.cfm?CatalogueID=742838

I also thought id dig up some trivia bits about the album from www.u2faq.com so here you are:

2.8.4 How come the track listing on my copy of All That You Can't Leave Behind is different from what was originally released as the track listing?
{AS} Supposedly the Edge changed up the tracklisting shortly before the album was pressed, but after a track listing was posted on the official web site U2.com. Thus the confusion. The two listings compare like this:

Original Tracklisting from U2.com

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Stuck in a Moment
5. Peace on Earth
6. Kite
7. New York
8. In a Little While
9. Wild Honey
10. When I Look at the World
11. Grace

Actual Tracklisting

1. Beautiful Day
2. Stuck in a Moment
3. Elevation
4. Walk On
5. Kite
6. In A Little While
7. Wild Honey
8. Peace On Earth
9. When I Look at the World
10. New York
11. Grace

2.8.5 Who are the people listed in "Peace On Earth"?
{TS} The lyric is as follows:

They're reading names out over the radio
All the folks the rest of us won't get to know
Sean and Julia, Gareth, Anne, and Breda,
Their lives are bigger than any big idea
The names are of victims of the Omagh bombing. They died Saturday, August 15, 1998. Some background on the individuals referenced:

Sean McLaughlin (12), from Buncrana, County Donegal, Republic of Ireland. Sean was an altar boy at the local church, St Michael's Oratory. The McLaughlin family live just a few doors away from the Doherty family, who also lost a son in the explosion. Sean was one of three boys from Buncrana to die in the explosion.

Julia Hughes (21), Omagh, County Tyrone. Julia was studying at Dundee University but had returned to Omagh for the summer to find temporary employment. She was working in Image Xpress, a photo shop in the High Street in Omagh, and as she left the shop she was met by the full force of the blast.

Gareth Conway (18), from Carrickmore. Gareth was about to enroll in an engineering course at the University of Ulster when he was killed. His father Mickey plays handball at the All-Ireland level.

Anne McCombe (45), from Omagh, County Tyrone. Anne was a close friend of Geraldine Breslin, who also died in the explosion. They both worked together in Watterson's clothes shop. They were having a tea break when the bomb exploded outside the shop. Anne was a Protestant and Geraldine a Catholic but their friendship bridged the sectarian divide. Ann was married with two sons.

Breda Devine (20 months), from Donemana, County Tyrone. Breda was taken by her mother Tracey (27) into Omagh to shop for a wedding gift. Tracey Devine was seriously injured, suffering burns over 60 percent of her body.

(Info. thanks to the CAIN project.)

{M2} On a related note, there's factual inspiration for these lyrics from "Peace On Earth":

She never got to say goodbye
To see the colour in his eyes
Now he's in the dirt
The inspiration comes from an article in the Irish Times, dated August 18, in which profiles/tributes to the victims were printed. One victim, James Barker, was remembered this way in the article:

Donna Maria Barker said she never realised how green her son's eyes were until she saw him lying on a mortuary slab. "To see him lying there with half of his head gone and those beautiful green eyes looking out at me as if he was waiting for me was devastating," she said.
"I never realised how green his eyes were. That image will stay with me for the rest of my life."

2.8.6 Did Mick Jagger sing with U2 on on of their new songs?
{M2} Jagger and his 16-year-old daughter Elizabeth sang backup vocals on a version of "Stuck In A Moment That You Can't Get Out Of" which they recorded while in Dublin one day to visit U2. Edge later said that the song "took a different direction" so they chose a version for the album without the two Jaggers singing backup. Both Jaggers are, however, thanked in the album's liner notes.

2.8.7 What's the "Alphaville" mentioned in "New York"?
{DGH} I'm betting that Alphaville is representing "Alphabet City." The East Village is known as Alphabet City, that's where Avenues A,B,C, and D are located, along with the lower numbers of streets.

2.8.8 Who is Aung San Suu Kyi and why is "Walk On" dedicated to him/her?
{M2} She is a leader of the nonviolent movement for human rights and the restoration of democracy in Myanmar (formerly known as Burma). Her father is widely acknowledged as the founder of modern Myanmar. After living abroad for most of her life, Aung San Suu Kyi returned to Myanmar in 1988 and started speaking out against the harsh rule of the Myanmar military government. She won democratic elections which were subverted by the military. She was arrested in 1989 and placed under house arrest, which lasted until 1995. Despite her supposed "freedom," the military increasingly restricts her movement and she refuses to accept offers to leave the country because it would mean she could never return.

2.8.9 The liner notes for my copy of All That You Can't Leave Behind have lyrics for "The Ground Beneath Her Feet", but the song's not on my CD.
{M2} This song appears as a bonus track on the UK version of the album, but the labels mistakenly used the same liner notes -- with the extra lyrics -- for other European pressings of the CD that didn't have the song.

2.8.10 What font is used on the All That You Can't Leave Behind album cover and the other tour logos and merchandise?
Eurostyle (extended).

So Happy Birthday ATYCLB, thnx for providing all us U2ers with great anticipation, a great year and a great tour!

(I hope someone will find a suitable cake to mark the occasion)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by brettig (edited 10-30-2001).]

YAY!!! Happy Birthday ATYCLB!!! I Love You! And I Love U2!!!!

birthday.gif

[This message has been edited by CatDubh (edited 10-30-2001).]

Thsi is the kind of crap that makes me doubt the worth of this site....lol just kidding bretty yeah great album, great tour, and how bout that guest guitarist /vocalist in hamilton? great year...for all u2 fans I'm sure.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOH!! Happy Birthday ATYCLB!

MH91450.jpg

Arun - we're all very happy for you but don't forget that you're one of many who have been pulled up on stage!
cool2.gif

Touch me
Take me to that other place...
I am still enchanted
By the light you brought to me
You elevate my soul
What you got, they can't steal it...
Life should be fragrant
Rooftop to the basement
Turn it on
Turn it on
You turn me on
Love me
Give me soul
She never got to say goodbye
To see the color in his eyes...
People find all kinds of things
That bring them to their knees
In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering
Come away now
Grace finds beauty
In everything...

Happy Birthday ATYCLB!!!
You're better than ever!

A year ago I was selling newspapers for my old job. Man I hated that, poop on that job.

------------------
This post brought to you by: Ignorance "It never fails."

AIM: JuanSwallow

Well it will be a happy birthday for ATYCLB tomorrow where i live, but anyway...

The album hasn't lost any of its magic and beauty.

------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things no one else can do. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

God...has it been that long already??

I remember that day...

I hadn't heard any songs from the album yet...no clips...nothing...not even "Beautiful Day".

I was away at university...I had been on the phone with Media Play a couple times that morning to ask what time their truck would arrive with the shipment.

I was sitting in my U.S. History class, trying to listen to Dr. Money...but I couldn't concentrate.

When class was finally over, I ran out of the building...ran across campus...ran to C Lot to get my car...sped to Media Play...

I got there, went up the the counter and asked, "Where's the new U2 album??"

The guy laughed and said to the other guy on the other side of the store, "Hey, your U2 girl is here!"

The other guy smiled and came over. He cu open a box and pulled out a copy of All That You Can't Leave Behind.

"First one...right off the truck," he said. "I was waiting for you so I could open that...you're the first person in town to get this."

I pay and leave. No CD player in my car, so I speed back to campus. I park my car in C Lot (a looooong way from my dorm!) and run as fast as I can to my dorm...up to the third floor...I'm barely able to get my key in my door I am so excited!

Then I play the CD...

Again...

Again...

Again...

It was incredible.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
u2nlogo.gif

OMG, Bono looks half invisible!
biggrin.gif
LOL We would make a good pair! hehehe

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ATYCLB!! WOHOOO!

------------------
But you take what you can get
'Cause it's all that you can find
Oh, you know there's something more
But tonight, tonight, tonight

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Aw, that was cute Bonochick!
I remember first listening to it on a bus ride to my soccer game... good times indeed.
Yay for All That You Can't Leave Behind!!!
1W84864.jpg

It was a beautiful day indeed brettig. Your post up there looks interesting, but I'm out of net time, another day.I'll look forward to that, thanks.
All That You Can't Leave Behind?
How do they know? I know...they're Irish
smile.gif

Bravo U2
Encore

------------------
"May the sweet light of rock and roll shine upon your soul."

Happy Birthday ATYCLB! What an awesome year. Amazing...U2 comes back with a passionate album once again... I love you ATYCLB
smile.gif

logo_large4.jpg

Happy BDAY!!!!

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

Oh...one other thing about ATYCLB...

Since I was a poor student a university, I had no money with which to buy ATYCLB. I had decided I was just going to have to wait until Christmas for it.
frown.gif

However, my parents were visiting me at school the week before. I told them that I for sure wanted the new U2 album for Christmas. Dad laughed and said, "Do you honestly think that we would deprive you of U2?", and he handed me $20.

I love my parents!!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I've been debating how I should commemorate the release of All That You Can't Leave Behind, what sort of long, drawn-out points I should make in an effort to point to its greatness as an album.

Instead, I will offer the most basic opinion I have about ATYCLB, an opinion that I've slowly formed over the last year, an opinion that is confirmed every time I listen:

I believe All That You Can't Leave Behind is the greatest album ever.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:

I believe All That You Can't Leave Behind is the greatest album ever.

Wow. I know you're not one to shy away from bold and strong statements, but that's quite a statement!

Although I can see how one might form it. I think it goes back to how Bono was talking about the album before it's release. It's really easy to create melancholy and angst. What is really rare and special is being able to create joy. As Bono described Beautiful Day as a song about someone who has lost everything but has never felt better - that's what the entire album shows. You can lose everything, and yet the strength of the human spirit will perservere, endure and prevail.

Titanium Soul indeed.

Well bubba, dunno about that...but i agree with diemen...this album is one of joy. It tackles some pretty 'heavy shit' In the course of its songs, but there is a feeling of joy there...an emotion more complex than simply happiness...

What a beautiful, sophisticated, soulful album...the past year has been made that much more wonderful with these melodies and lyrics kicking around.

Happy Birthday ATYCLB!

Well, I suppose I must go into detail.
biggrin.gif

Joy DEFINITELY has a lot to do with my high regard for the album, but it's not just simple joy -- the joy of a three-year-old with a bowl of ice cream -- it's a knowing joy, experienced and mature.

It's the joy of four 40-year-olds, grown men who've seen family members pass away, friends die (some by suicide), and humanity turn on itself; joy in the face of tragedy.

That kind of joy is almost impossible to find; it's certainly hard to find in the world of popular music.

Why?

Most "joyful" songs are naive, teenybopper bubblegum pop. Most mature songs are dour and angst-filled.

Most bands never make it to the age where they have "seen it all", and those that do aren't usually joyful in the face of those experiences.

U2 seems to be in a unique position to look reality square in the eye and still find joy. Theirs are some of the most uplifting songs in rock (from "Out of Control" to "Pride" to "Streets"), and they hit the problems of existence head on (in "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Love is Blindness", and even "Discotheque").

They started out joyful but niave, they travelled through the darkness of "Exit", "God Part II", and most of the 1990's -- and they've come out the other end. They aren't unscathed, they have lost their innocence, but they haven't lost their hope.

They're in a unique position to tell the message of ATYCLB. It's an important message to tell, and it was delivered in a very intimate, personal way.

It's not the most artistic, ironic, or ground-breaking record, but by keeping things simple and to-the-point, the message hits closer to home.

The message?

It's a beautiful day; don't let it get away.

I want you to know you don't need anyone or anything at all.

What you don't have, you don't need it now. Leave it behind. You've got to leave it behind.

And if your way should falter along this stony pass, it's just a moment. This time will pass.

If that weren't enough, there are love letters (In A Little While, Wild Honey), conversations with the Almighty (Peace on Earth, When I Look at the World), a meditation on temptation (New York), and one really sexy rock song (Elevation).

And the album concludes with a simple, profound statement about love:

Grace makes beauty out of ugly things.

All That You Can't Leave Behind tells some of the most difficult, most important lessons in life -- and the lessons go straight from their hearts to ours.

Greatest album of all time. Easily.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

this thread's making me want another new album...remembering all the anticipation!
biggrin.gif

happy birthday to ATYCLB, one of the few uplifting albums I own and one very close to all our hearts
smile.gif

hmmm I have a question...remember that song that was going to be called "Bulldozer" and was 'Larry's favourite'? I remember that being Kite, but Elevation seems more likely..
curious if any one knows..
*wonders why she's wondering this*

------------------
but for the grace of love I'd will the meaning of heaven from above...

Back
Top Bottom