Hansa demos + Steve Lilywhite= Vertigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurent24

The Fly
Vertigo really sounds like a dream version of some of the early Achtung Baby outtakes which I find are some of the most spontaneous and refreshing pieces of music I've heard from U2. Steve Lilywhite didn't mix the song to death which was my only complaint with Lanois and Eno. Always trying to mess with what was already great. I like for example the song Acrobat but what was wrong with Edge's guitar part in the demo version. Maybe his best solo ever but not used for the final version of Acrobat.
I believe that Htdaab will be one of their finest efforts but don't let Lanois or Eno get hold of Edge's stolen CD because before you know it we have a whole orchestra playing the backing tracks on this record.

Where oh where can I find this demo version of Acrobat.....Jesus would I love to hear that! Any ideas pleaseeeeeeeeee?

laurent24 said:
I believe that Htdaab will be one of their finest efforts but don't let Lanois or Eno get hold of Edge's stolen CD because before you know it we have a whole orchestra playing the backing tracks on this record.

agreed, all the way.
as i 've said before, i think Brian Eno is really tallented,
but i don't like the productions he 's done for U2,
U2 should be raw rock, just like their live performances,
and not pop/rock as most album versions feel like!!!

Yeah agreed but where can I find the demo version of 'Acrobat' as previously mentioned in the thread. Would like to hear the original solo by the Edge.

Way too premature to suggest, but I am going to anyway.

If Vertigo alone is any indication, I would say that Acrobat should finds its way back into the setlist for the upcoming tour. :yes:

I have the album version (4 lp's) of the hansa demos. The acrobat demo is if I remember correctly on the last album. The sides were numbered 1 to 8. It's the last song on side 7 I believe. The lyrics were definately not finished but Edge's guitar solo is his best to date. Trust me.

I agree with you guys on the Eno overproducing comment. I loved POP for that reason, it didn't seem as overproduced on some of the songs as before and after. This album should be a winner.

"You know that your time is coming 'round... so don't let the bastards ground you down!"

I just started to take notice of this song after people started comparing parts of it to Vertigo.. I've listened to AB a million times but I've never really noticed this song until now, I'm really loving it :)

Shame on you for not noticing Acrobat. A great song, I probably listen to the non single tracks more than the single releases on any of their albums.

As regards to the original solo I wish I could hear it. Anyone know of an mp3 version I can download of the original demo version from them hansa tapes?

rjhbonovox said:
As regards to the original solo I wish I could hear it. Anyone know of an mp3 version I can download of the original demo version from them hansa tapes?

I'll send it to you. E-mail me at mcalvillo[at]gmail[dot]com.

Since you seem to be pretty desperate to hear it, why don't you let us know your email, then I might be able to help you out.:wink:

For what it's worth, I absolutely love Acrobat (certainly in my top 3 U2 songs), and while Edge's guitar part in the demo is nice, the finished version is vastly superior.

Acrobat is one of the best U2 songs ever. The demo version is great, but the album one is better. No doubt about that.

Jaxx said:
Since you seem to be pretty desperate to hear it, why don't you let us know your email, then I might be able to help you out.:wink:

For what it's worth, I absolutely love Acrobat (certainly in my top 3 U2 songs), and while Edge's guitar part in the demo is nice, the finished version is vastly superior.

Well thanks, I would like to hear it. My email is rjj@ic24.net.
Much appreciated.

After listening to the demo version, I can't see the attraction of the original solo. The final version sounds great and the demo has no parts that really stand out that wasn't included. I think your a bit harsh on Eno & Lanois, who are probably the greatest producers U2 have ever used and which they have done their finest work with. I am always left wondering how Pop would have sounded if they had been behind the desk, it's a great and very much underrated album(and unfinished my arse) but could they have made it the masterpiece that it just fell short of being?

The demo version is solid. But the album version is perfection all the way through, I cant stop talking about Acrobat. One of the greatest u2 songs ever, AMAZING SOLO BY EDGE!!! If you're seeing this Edge, this song alone makes you the greatest. If you're not, it doesnt matter, cause its 5:00 am over here and I'm feeling a little :drunk:

@ThatGuy big thanx to you for the demo.
its interesting to see how the song developed from the beginning. i admit to some of the others here that the AB version of the song is the better one. the demo reminds me to some other tune on the achtung baby outtakes that finally became UTEOTW. can't remember the name (i feel free? -thats the one with the UTEOTW riff -, chances away?, jitterbug ?doctor doctor?) and i can't find it at the moment. messy times...

the following i've already posted on another topic:
ACROBAT...this song is one of my fave U2 songs. the song is a phenomenal mindblowing experience. at the beginning of the song i see the dark clouds before a heavy storm and i feel the anger of desperation. the edge solo is the best he has delivered together with THE FLY. the angry sound of his guitar let me think on the noise of a derailing train (good metaphor and perfect support of the lyrics) and at the end his guitar is winding up in spirals to the happy end. adams bass and larrys drumming style with the machinegunlike break is so amazing...wonderful!
ACROBAT is THE KING of ACHTUNG BABY the album that has a song for every possible situatian in ones life. hey, and we are all acrobats aren't we???

does anybody know whether its true that The Edge came up with the first idea to ACROBAT during soundcheck on nov.10-11 at Western Springs Stadium, Auckland / New Zealand ???

Back
Top Bottom