Hanover Quay.....still alive for the album title?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2DMfan

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
hanoverquay.com
hanoverquay.org
hanoverquay.net

All registered to James Cooke, the same guy who registered Vertigo on behalf of Adam's brother etc.

Maybe this name is still alive for the album title.

Want to search for other titles? go to WhoIs.net?
I searched for all the titles that began with U2.....com, there were about 900 results and I didnt find anything else.

So I searched for Hanover Quay on a whim and found it.
Any other ideas?

Last edited:
I hope they name it Hanover Quay.....the word Hanover is 7 letters (same as Achtung) and the word Quay is 4 letters (same as Baby)......coincidence? probably, but I definitely wouldn't mind another album like Achtung Baby....

I definately prefer Hanover Quay over Vertigo. Vertigo is a good name for a song and even the tour like Elevation. But i'm sure they can come up better than HQ even.

Hey i just noticed Hanover Quay = HQ = Headquarters. :ohmy:

i never noticed the Achtung Baby\Hanover Quay similarity. cool!

vertigo sounds to poppish and lame. Hanover Quay is way better!

That's old.

created: 2000-03-28 10:57:20 UTC regcom
modified: 2004-03-30 10:10:20 UTC JORE-1

What are you guys saying? you think that 'Hanover Quay" is a better title than Vertigo? You're insane! Vertigo has so much more potential.

I always thought they should name the album "TOUGH" refering to the type of music and of course, the upcoming song.

U2One said:
I hope they name it Hanover Quay.....the word Hanover is 7 letters (same as Achtung) and the word Quay is 4 letters (same as Baby)......coincidence? probably, but I definitely wouldn't mind another album like Achtung Baby....

Plus: HAN-O-VER QUAY sounds like JO-SHU-A TREE

MrBrau1 said:
Release the album. They're sinking their career.

I don't agree with that sentiment. Alot of excellent bands wait 4 years in between albums. Ironically, it's the overly impatient fans who end up losing in the end if they psych themselves out of fandom and all that comes with it just because the album seems to be "taking too long." U2 is held in such high regard, the only thing that would sink their career at this point is if the album was ATYCLB-lite and they took to the state drunk every night.

HelloAngel said:

I don't agree with that sentiment. Alot of excellent bands wait 4 years in between albums. Ironically, it's the overly impatient fans who end up losing in the end if they psych themselves out of fandom and all that comes with it just because the album seems to be "taking too long." U2 is held in such high regard, the only thing that would sink their career at this point is if the album was ATYCLB-lite and they took to the state drunk every night.

The new fans they've gained w/ ATYCLB have gone through all of high school, or college w/o new a U2 album. Considering this type of MTV fan, they're onto some other "flavor of the month." A record from 2000 would be considered old to them. Odds are, their interest has fallen off, unless they really got into the band and went after the back catalogue.

MrBrau1 said:

The new fans they've gained w/ ATYCLB have gone through all of high school, or college w/o new a U2 album. Considering this type of MTV fan, they're onto some other "flavor of the month." A record from 2000 would be considered old to them. Odds are, their interest has fallen off, unless they really got into the band and went after the back catalogue.

I would venture to say that U2's most fervert fanbase has quite possibly been out of school for a long time. With a 20+ year long career, and 100 million records sold, I'm not sure the MTV fan and their supposed "music ADD" will have a large effect on U2's career.

I went thru college without a new U2 album - and I'm still a fan.

If U2 want to stay relevant in the world of rock music , they need to bring in young, new fans. Otherwise, they become the Rolling Stones. Paul M. has stated that having the old fans is nice, but gaining new fans is their ultimate goal with each record. They're making it harder on themselves to achieve their own stated goals. Thus, putting their career as an active, forefront rock band on the line.

HelloAngel said:

:yes:

MrBrau1 said:
If U2 want to stay relevant in the world of rock music , they need to bring in young, new fans. Otherwise, they become the Rolling Stones. Paul M. has stated that having the old fans is nice, but gaining new fans is their ultimate goal with each record. They're making it harder on themselves to achieve their own stated goals. Thus, putting their career as an active, forefront rock band on the line.

True, U2 does need to engage new fans, but I don't know that it's the key to their success from here on out.

Let's take my younger brother for instance, he is almost 21. For his whole life, he has always known about U2. Just like my whole life I've known about the Beatles. They are just bands that have always been there. There is a latent interest or fandom there for alot of newer/younger U2 fans. U2's career isn't sinking, I think there is more a perception different more than anything.

A band like 3 Doors Down would have a death rattle on their career if they waited every four years. Not U2.

After ATYCLB I was driven to discover the rest of U2's catalog out of curiosity and after being impressed by it. At first I thought it might seem uncool to buy ancient records, but I was astonished at how good they were. Even though its been a while since their last release, I can truly say they've won me over for life.

On another note, I believe now more than ever, U2 has established themselves as one of the all-time great bands with the knack for staying relevant up to now. With Pop I just think the general public grew a little disinterested with weird experimentation in their music and they may not have totally realized the importance of U2. Now, after another long break, I think once again the public will be awakened to try listening to this next album. They will be curious what they have to offer after their multi-grammy winning record. That's why I think it is absolutely necessary that the band take their time to make a record that they are completely confident in. The public is aware of their legendary status. They'll wait. Plus, I can feel it in my bones that this record is going to have a sound that much of the public is going to really enjoy!

U2 has no need to worry about fanbase, old or new. They are a Classic Band, one of the top 10 bands in Rock History. They are solid, they are classic, and they are still fresh. No amount of time between albums will deny them new fans if the music is outstanding. Now if the album stinks, that's a whole nother story.....

What Reggie said.

They are going to have no problem selling out any arena wherever they go and they are going to have no problem debuting their album at #1 on every chart across the globe even if they waited another year.

I graduated high school right before Zooropa came out.
It was right before most of the people I went to high school with were graduationg from college when POP came out.

U2 have not exactly been dormant for 4 years.
They toured the entire year of 2001, released A best of in 2002, with a new song and a new single with a video, won a Golden Globe in early 2003 for a song and really, for all intents and purproses between Bono's appearances for DATA and such havent really been quiet for about a year and a half.

Personally, I think the ATYCLB media onslaught was a bit overdone, and the public are more likely to get sick of a band who is in the music news for over a year than they are to comletely forget about a band who drops off the radar for over a year.

U2's fan base hasn't diminshed for 25 years. Why would it now?
Sure they lose the attention span of a younger generation of late teens and early 20's, but with every new album there is a new generation of late teens and early 20's. Those people who love the music will only stop loving the music if the music is shit.

Those people who bought ATYCLB bedcause BD was a catchy song or because all of their friends had the album have probably gone back to consuming other popular acts because they aren't really music fans, they are trendies. Those people are most certainly replacable.

Screw the public. I think thats what has kept U2 going and caputured new fans. U2 does what they want to and is best for their musical careers. ATYCLB might have been a conservative approach compared to AB & Pop eras but I think they wanted to make music that sounded like 4 guys in a band. Pop was a great album that the U.S. public didn't take much notice of because of negative rumors (dance album, bad sales). Pop was not met for a conservative, uptight, cookie eating, commerical station listening, reality TV watching society like the U.S. Just turn to VH-1 to see how bad music is. People only care about what musicans are wearing and doing rather than the music their making. U2 needs to do what they want to and keep doing that. I'll be ashamed if they were conforming to the public. By the way, I can't wait for the new album :wink:

Every record since JT has sold less, and less. With The blip being ATYCLB. They want to sell lots of records. It's very important to them. If this record bombs like Pop in the US, I think they'll break up.

MrBrau1 said:
Every record since JT has sold less, and less. With The blip being ATYCLB. They want to sell lots of records. It's very important to them. If this record bombs like Pop in the US, I think they'll break up.

What? :scratch: I completely doubt that. Pop wasn?t even exactly a failure people like to say it was. What bombed for U2 on the US really was the Popmart Tour but that was a very different tour cause they only played stadiums and you are taking big chances when you do that. The only possibility for U2 to brake up is if they release two bad records one after the other and I think that when U2 goes to the studio they have a very strong censorship of what's good and bad and they wouldn?t even release the thing if they thought it was bad. Let?s have a little more faith on them.

I think the fact that they stayed a long time on the studio this time is a very positive thing, this record is going to come out a lot stronger. I also think that one of the reasons why the spent so much time on the studio this time was because they could, not necessarily because things went bad or something and this is not exactly the early 80's which was a time when U2 had to make a name for themselves, had many musical places they still had to go and when they didn't even had kids to take care. Nowadays U2 has a lot of that and there's a lot of music they have already done, which makes it a lot more challenging for them. They are more relaxed now and have all the time in the word to make their records, that's awesome. Every band in the world wants that. The more time they take the more I'm sure this record is going to be great.

MrBrau1 said:

Of course every record since JT has sold less - JT's been out longer! What's more, JT was U2's heyday. Every band has a pinnacle, and it was JT for U2 (or ZooTV). Pop was not the failure some people like to call it, and Popmart was the fourth most successful tour in history. Selling albums may be important to them, but first and foremost, these guys are friends, and they won't break up over some record not doing that well.

In any case, a 'poor' selling record for U2 still has the sales that almost every band in existence could only dream of. U2 are now one of the greats. They are no longer a young band that has to churn out lots of albums to keep people interested - that was Boy to UF. They can take their sweet little time, do what they please, and people are always going to be there. They have no worries. U2 could not bomb if they tried.

MrBrau1 said:

Thats bullshit.

The success of U2 records in the US is hardly the criteria for the band to break up - there are other continents you know, and I don't believe that it's all about selling lots of records for U2 (as they have stated numerous times).

In Europe U2 are a band that is consistently important and POP was by no means a flop. Popmart was huge. Every new U2 single and album in the last 15 years or so had massive success and more significantly has started a momentum that has lasted though each respective tour (all new album first singles have gone to number 1. in the UK charts and most other European countries).

There is also alot of great music across Europe and other parts of the world so if the new album is shite then I would expect them to bomb, but that would be the only reason. I sense a similar vibe about U2 in places like Australiasia and South America.

We still enjoy proving just how great and successful U2 are. :wink:

Thanks disco.

My number are right, worldwide.

AB 17 Million
Zooropa 7 Million
Pop 6 Million
ATYCLB 11

If you think U2 are going to continue to put out 3-4 albums that don't sell tons, your crazy. Larry has stated before they want to go out on top, not fade away. This is a band in their mid 40's. To think the end isn't near is stupid. You wanna see them at 50, Bono's hairpiece falling off, selling gold records and still declaring themselves the "biggest band in the world." They don't want that. That said, I love their music. :wink:

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:

AB 17 Million
Zooropa 7 Million
Pop 6 Million
ATYCLB 11

Now would you like to tell us when these albums were last certified?

MrBrau1 said:
You wanna see them at 50, Bono's hairpiece falling off, selling gold records and still declaring themselves the "biggest band in the world." They don't want that. That said, I love their music. :wink:

Yeah, I just don't think that's what's going to happen. Make good albums and not necessarily be the biggest band in the world is not bad as long the music is still good. Being pessimistic doesn't mean being realistic.

MrBrau1 said:
Thanks disco.

AB 17 Million
Zooropa 7 Million
Pop 6 Million
ATYCLB 11
Well, actually, no, that's not less and less. ATYCLB shows an increase from Pop and Zooropa. That was actually a very popular album, remember? It won them a bunch of Grammys and gave them the biggest tour of the year.

Back
Top Bottom