grrrrr look what this idiot said!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KINGBONO

Babyface
I was over looking at the pearl jam home site's message board cause I'm love both PJ and U2 and came across this topic by this idiot. The good news is most people defended Bono. The site is called Synergy in case you wanna see.

Let's bring U2 back down to earth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bono honestly thinks he's god. How can a band that used to be a voice of reason now be such a celebrity sideshow. Does anyone agree that U2 just can't be taken seriously anymore? They're really an older boy band. They play into everything that's wrong with the music industry, the awards, the ego's. What do you guys think"?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess I have to ask- why do you care what this guy has to say? He obviously knows nothing about U2, and there is no rule that everyone has to like them.

Don't let people like that get to you.

ah yes, they are sell outs again

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by KINGBONO:
I was over looking at the pearl jam home site's message board cause I'm love both PJ and U2 and came across this topic by this idiot. The good news is most people defended Bono. The site is called Synergy in case you wanna see.

Interesting.(counldnt get to the site, what is the exact site?)

We should'nt care what other people think. If they don't like U2, then THEY are the ones missing out.

Unfortunately, this person is not alone. I can understand how someone might think that(about the taken seriously stuff). They were very serious in the 80's and in the 90's it appeared that they(or at least Bono) became somewhat of a spectacle.

As a matter of fact, I was very confused and even turned off(although I still enjoyed the music!) from some of the stuff they did in the 90's---gaudy shows, technology, sunglasses, etc....

However, after doing my research and educating myself on U2 in the 90's, their motives and intentions make sense to me now.

They didn't like what people perceived them to be and they were being eaten alive by the media. This happened to Eddie Vedder. Instead of having fun with it, he decided to retreat. That is fine. PJ is still great. However, PJ fans should know that PJ themselves are still fans and friends(they were all at some of the Elevation shows) and if that doesn't tell you something about the respect they have for U2 than nothing will.

If U2 continued to feed in to everyones perceptions, they may not be around today. If they didnt experiment with their music, they would not be around today.

PJam hates the media and hates the spotlight.
U2(Bono, in particular) loves the spotlight and loves it even more when he is criticized b/c those who criticize him are just feeding into his intentions in the first place.

I know a lot of PJ fans(I am one myself) and they all like or respect U2 at least somewhat. I sometimes wish Bono would just shut up and sing. But that is why we love and loathe him. He is who he is.

At the end of the day it is about the music. ATYCLB is a great record and U2's most complete work since AB.......

Originally posted by Angel:
I guess I have to ask- why do you care what this guy has to say? He obviously knows nothing about U2, and there is no rule that everyone has to like them.

Don't let people like that get to you.

suprising how few people here share that view. and unfortunate.

Originally posted by KINGBONO:

One more thing....
I just read through the entire post on this topic and--fortunately---discovered that MOST of the replies were in defense of U2 and Bono.

I also feel that MOST intelligent, rational, music fans at the very least respect U2 and give them their credit for being an impactful band that has left their mark on the music scene and the world as well.

I am very happy to see my previous understanding re-enforced: most PJam fans are U2 fans and vice versa. This shows--I think--good taste and an appreciation for authenticity and quality music.

Every time someone complains to me about U2 in the 90's---image-changing, big egos, musical change---I want to give them the book by Bill Flanagan, "Until the End of the World." After you read that book, you WILL, at the very least, have an understanding of U2 the people, musicians and celebrities.

Unfortunately, we live in an IGNORANT society(everybody is ignorant at times, I dont want to sound self-righteous here). If somebody else chooses to be ignorant, it is THEIR problems not yours.

Good luck!

Originally posted by kobayashi:
suprising how few people here share that view. and unfortunate.

excuse me? how is it unfortunate that I care less what Pearl Jam fans have to say about U2?

Originally posted by Angel:

excuse me? how is it unfortunate that I care less what Pearl Jam fans have to say about U2?

I think what kobe was saying was that it's a shame that so many of us on this board get worked up over bad commentary by outsiders on U2. In other words, he was agreeing with you. Or at least that is how it sounded to me.

lol Sula!

Kobeson--> were agreeing with me??? I am having a bad day today and can't tell. The world is out to get me don't you know?

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Or at least that is how it sounded to me.

thank you sula, i'm glad i reached some with my intent
wink.gif

sorry if it sounded negative angel but i am in complete and utter agreement with you. often i sound off, like you did, on these types of things first and was pleasantly surprised to see someone else already had
smile.gif

that's all.

Back
Top Bottom