GRRR!! Look what Eric Clapton said about U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fanatic4ever

Blue Crack Addict
He is so off the mark! What he hasn't been around the last 30 yrs for god's sake.:mad: :madspit: He's got a major chip on his shoulder thats for sure.

Eric Clapton hits out at Coldplay and U2
Wednesday, May 17 2006, 14:48 BST - by Fiona Edwards

Eric Clapton disapproves of bands like U2 and Coldplay as they seem
to put their fame before their music.

The 61-year-old guitar legend told The Times: "Right now, the power
of music sits with Simon Cowell and Coldplay and U2, who are really
people who just attend awards shows.

"From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and
U2. The one in Coldplay even dances like Bono."

Clapton said that he's also worried that modern bands are forgetting
where rock and roll has come from.

He said: "I think what it shows is how incredibly detached all the
current stuff is from its roots. What worries me about what's going
on now is that people don't know where it's all come from, and I
don't suppose they're that interested."

"From just listening I can't tell the difference between Coldplay and
U2."

HAH finally somebody else who can hear that coldplay is influenced by U2.. TAKE THAT CHRIS MARTIN :madspit:

:tsk: why is it so that if celebs don't have sucess anymore, they start to bash others who do have success?
jealousy is a bitch!

Let's face it; Eric Clapton is old and crunchy and has never had a large following. He's also a victim of being unable to allow music to grow up, like a parent that gets angry that her child has moved on.
I actually like the guy, but that comment made me roll my eyes. It's whining hypocrisy.

who CARES what clapton has to say. its still funny to me that people can hate goodness.

Devlin said:
Let's face it; Eric Clapton is old and crunchy and has never had a large following. He's also a victim of being unable to allow music to grow up, like a parent that gets angry that her child has moved on.
I actually like the guy, but that comment made me roll my eyes. It's whining hypocrisy.

I don't agree with all that he said, but he has had a large following.

Im not liking all the associations with coldplay he makes. In my opinion thats more of an insult.

The first thing I thought when I heard that was, "When was the last time Eric Clapton was in Africa or the Lower Ninth Ward?" Bono and the Edge, especially, are giving plenty back these days.

I've got lots of sympathy for his loss a few years back, but his criticism of U2 and Coldplay says more about him and less about the bands. Clapton has a respected position in the rock firmament -- he doesn't need to cut others down to build himself up.

eh. U2 embraced rock roots a long time ago, they moved on and pushed the boundaries of music since then (1987). Clapton just continues to make the same music over and over again. he's a great guitarist, a legend, but he really is off the mark with his comments.

Wasn't this guy like best friends with George Harrison? Harrison said similar remarks about U2 years back. It's sad to see these musicians become overcome by bitterness in their old age.

It's sad to hear someone like Eric Clapton say that... Comparing Coldplay and U2? Come on... There are some negative U2 critics that I can stand, but not this one... It's not that I don't like Coldplay but their lyrics are really weak with no poetry... Maybe a couple of Colplay melodies can remind me of U2 (the guitar on Fix You always reminds me of Miracle Drug) but there is no possible common line between the two bands...
And Chris Martin dancing like Bono? You can't blame the B-man... he does his dance for a looooooooong time...

If he can't find the difference between U2 and Coldplay, which is just a ridiculous statement anyways, how is that U2's fault exactly? U2 has done their own thing for as long as Coldplay have been alive, it is not their fault if others try to copy their style, even though I still like Coldplay though.

I let things like this bother me too much I'm sorry. Like someone else said, some U2 criticism I can take, but this is just dumb. There are a lot of other bands out there putting out some true garbage I don't know why he has to slam these two who happen to be 2 of my favorite bands btw.

I think that was much more of a dig at Coldplay than U2, considering U2's been around forever so if anyone's a copycat it'd have to be Coldplay.

Don't let his opinions on U2 or whoever influence your opinion of his music. I've never been a huge Clapton fan but I still think he's a very good guitarist regardless of what he says :shrug:

I can tell the difference between U2 and Coldplay. Bono is a much better singer than Chris and edge is a better guitarist than whoever their guitarist is.

Coldplay are deffinetly influenced by U2

Unbelievable statements from the creator of some of the worse music in memory. Fuc# he was never Wonderful Tonight the boring old fart anyway. Jimi Hendrix was on a different planet as far as guitar playing. :wink:

Eric Who?

Wasn't he popular like 40 years ago or something? LOL.

I really don't put much into what this guy says or thinks for that matter. Although I must admit he was a great guitarist back in the day and I like some of his music.

I don't care for him lumping U2 in with Coldplay - with all due respect to all the Coldplay fans here - they can't really hold a candle next to the body of work U2 has done. In twenty something years if Coldplay is still around making music and being as relevant as U2 is still today cheers to them.

What really pisses me off about what Clapton insinuated was the outside humanitarian work of Bono and now even The Edge is the big problem of them and Rock n Roll. I know I've stated this in other Threads but how can anyone attack someone for trying to make the world a better place? If you don't agree with what Bono is doing or think he's just wasting his time or whatever else the guy is trying..... I just can't see running someone down for being good?:huh:

Well he's right at one point: the public does seem to think their fame's more important than their music. Didn't Bono do a speech at the Democratic Convention while Kerry was running for president? And did he sing anything? No he didn't, he was just there "to be the famous person" backing Kerry.

Nothing against Bono of course, I'm only saying I can understand Claptons thoughts.

but was bono still not talking about his africa stuff?, hence still promoting something he belives in rather than just blindly backing someone?

i could be wrong so forgive me if i am

david said:
eh. U2 embraced rock roots a long time ago, they moved on and pushed the boundaries of music since then (1987). Clapton just continues to make the same music over and over again.

EXACTLY. Who the hell is Clapton to say that no one else knows where music came from? He's been stuck on his stupid blues kick for like 15 years! Sure, you have to know where you've come from in order to know where you're going......but Clapton has been going anywhere new in decades!!! Pretty stupid.

I think the last remnant of affection I once had for Eric Clapton went out the window.

I don't really care if people criticize U2. I don't think they are above criticism. I just hate cheap shots. I kind of wish U2 wouldn't show up at every awards show kissing everyone's ass too, but it's not like they don't do anything else in the meantime! And as nauseating as it is sometimes I'd rather have U2 kissing everyone's ass than taking cheap shots at other musicians.

Back
Top Bottom