Growing tired of U2..... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:33 PM
Growing tired of U2.....

Well, it has happened once again. I have listened to so much U2 over the last few months, I have grown tired of them.

I guess, I will have to put them down until the tour starts.

Do any of you guys do this? Listen to them constantly and then put away for awhile?

Old 12-14-2004, 05:27 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Re: Growing tired of U2.....

I do, but it tends to take a year,
i listened to All That You Cant Leave Behind constantly for 55 weeks, left it for 3 months then saw them live,
Same with POP
and come to think about it Achtung baby/Zooropa
That was enough of that album. I still listened to it, only not everyday.
Plus other albums came out which needed my attention, (id bought them but never listened to them all properly)

Done well so far, again everyday but ive found it harder to get into this time, I feel this is a good thing though as Im discovering each song on its own merit rather than an album.

Old 12-14-2004, 05:31 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Don't get me wrong, I love HTDAAB. It is the only U2 thing I could listen to today. I usually do this around big events (releases, tour start, etc.). I listen to the boys non stop for about three months and then put them away for awhile.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
Refugee

I have had just the opposite effect. I am now listening mostly to U2 and going through their whole catalogue. I wasn't listening to them so much this past year, mainly because I was discovering a whole lot of new music. I do tend to always go back to U2, though. Like an old friend.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:41 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't really get tired of U2 as a whole, but i'll have an extended period of time when I won't listen to an album or a song, purely because i've overplayed it. At the moment, i'm on a Achtung Baby/'The First Time'/Best of 1990-2000 DVD hiatus. Way too much watching/listening of that recently.

No problem though - the void has been filled with Pop/'All Because Of You'/Best of 1980-1990 video
Old 12-14-2004, 05:44 PM   #6
Refugee

its the opposite for me. u2 is the only band i could hear 24/7 and never get tired of.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:46 PM   #7
The Fly

it never happened to me before. I've been listening to u2 since 96 and i can't stop. And now with the new songs and the new tour i'm going to be listening to the band more and more. Besides i still have various tv shows and a couple of concerts to download.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by kakvox
I have had just the opposite effect. I am now listening mostly to U2 and going through their whole catalogue. I wasn't listening to them so much this past year, mainly because I was discovering a whole lot of new music. I do tend to always go back to U2, though. Like an old friend.
Same here, I'll listen to a lot of new stuff..but U2 is like my favorite pair of slippers...worn but always warm and a perfect fit
Old 12-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #9
Refugee

I've never had that happen with U2 because they have so many songs. The same thing happens when I listen to Coldplay though....I listened to their Live 2003 CD all summer...and I probaly haven't listened to it in 3 months since then.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
The Fly

Local Time: 04:33 PM
I spend so much time listening to them, that I force myself to not play them and put somebody else in the rotation. But I always come back, usually sooner rather than later. It's like an itch that won't go away. And I'm quite content to keep scratching.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:22 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, I have been a fan since 85, so of course I keep coming back, but I do go through phases where I don't listen to them for awhile.

My cycle usually goes like this: a few months before the new album comes out I start listening through their whole catalogue. I will just throw all the albums in the changer and listen to them straight through. When that gets tiresome, I start to listen to them all on shuffle. Then the album comes out and I listen to that only for a few weeks. Then i start listening to the whole catalogue with the new album and then the shuffle with the new album.

I usually get a concert jones right around this point and I go and spend too much money on bootlegs (thank you interference for saving me cash this time). Then I usually stop listening to them much until the next big event. In this case it will be March first, well probably early Febuary if I'm honest.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:30 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 03:33 AM
Long-time fan, and I never get sick of them.

But sure, there are times when I listen to more of their stuff than others, like when a new CD comes out.

I love a lot of bands, so I'm always listening to lots of other stuff, but U2 is almost always in the mix.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

One word- NEVER
Old 12-14-2004, 07:20 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:33 PM
I feel it is best to mix U2 in with other music. I haven't grown tired of them yet, but I can get tired of hearing them on any given day or days.

Now that I have my iPod, I mix in a few of my favorite upbeat U2 songs with tons of other upbeat rock songs from all sorts of artists. U2 sounds best when mixed in with these other songs. This way, it's a nice treat when the U2 song pops up - and I get to hear tons of other music.

I used to do this with CD's as well.

Therefore, instead of only listening to U2 or listening to all of a U2 album before reaching for a non-U2 CD, make a mix CD, tape or playlist (for the iPod or your MP3 player). I think this will help you appreciate U2 more without growing tired of them.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:40 PM   #15
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by RickFly
its the opposite for me. u2 is the only band i could hear 24/7 and never get tired of.
me too! I can hardly stand to listen to anything other than U2 some days.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:55 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

There is always something to listen to from U2 that I havent heard before such as bootlegs or whatever it just never gets too tiring but I do try to take breaks now and then and even a week break makes things sound so much better and it puts into perspective how bad most of the rest of the music inudustry really is.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:34 PM   #17
Acrobat

There are some songs that are just engraved in me,
streets,wowoy,etc. So i hardly listen to a lot of their stuff
simply because ive listened to it so much. So ya i sometimes
need to give u2 a break.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:33 PM
I've been in an extended period of only occasional U2 listening.
I think I kind of burned out years ago, and I'm still working on catching the thrill again. It's kind of hard as I've changed through the years and U2 has changed through the years, and it doesn't seem as if we changed in the same direction. So, there still is material I like, and several albums I'm really fond of, but the incredibly intense love affair has waned.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:09 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 06:33 PM
I go on U2 binges, where that will be all I listen to, and usually it's specific albums. Then I'll go off and listen to other music, but still keep some U2 on the playlist.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:27 PM   #20
Acrobat

i have thousands of songs on cds and my computer, but i cant listen to any of them back to back with U2, because U2 make them all sounds so inferior