Group complains about Bono's "fucking" comment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
There's a small story in the paper this morning titled "Oh, Bono!" It says a group called Parents' TV Association or something is really complaining to NBC about letting Bono's "fucking brilliant" comment come through unedited. They say the censors should have been more alert. I personally think this is ridiculous, because it's not like everyone, even kids (especially those old enough to want to watch the Golden Globes at 9-10 at night) hasn't heard it before. On my street, kids too young for school blurt it out at each other. I just think it's dumb to make a fuss over it, but I don't like Bono's name being involved in any controversy. Still I don't think anyone who knows Bono is shocked or even cares, not even parents of young kids. Any opinions on this fucking controversy?

U2Kitten said:
There's a small story in the paper this morning titled "Oh, Bono!" It says a group called Parents' TV Association or something is really complaining to NBC about letting Bono's "fucking brilliant" comment come through unedited. They say the censors should have been more alert. I personally think this is ridiculous, because it's not like everyone, even kids (especially those old enough to want to watch the Golden Globes at 9-10 at night) hasn't heard it before. On my street, kids too young for school blurt it out at each other. I just think it's dumb to make a fuss over it, but I don't like Bono's name being involved in any controversy. Still I don't think anyone who knows Bono is shocked or even cares, not even parents of young kids. Any opinions on this fucking controversy?

My mother complained about it. And this is coming from the woman whose every other word from her mouth is the f-word. Go figure. :eyebrow:

U2Kitten-- Would you mind posting a link to the newspaper article or telling us which newspaper it is from. I would be interested in reading it.

This is really fucking brilliant........

PTC CONDEMNS NBC

Network Fails to Bleep F-Word During Golden Globes

Los Angeles, CA---Today the Parents Television Council, a non-profit, non-partisan entertainment watchdog group based in Los Angeles, denounced NBC for failing to mute the ?F-word? from last night?s broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards. Bono, the lead singer of U2 said the word while accepting a Golden Globe for Best Original Song: "The Hands That Built America" from Gangs of New York. Networks routinely broadcast live shows through a delay system that allows for the removal of inappropriate material.

?The broadcast of the Golden Globe Awards turned out to be another sad addition to a long list of examples of network irresponsibility that sacrifices family viewing for raunchy programming,? said Brent Bozell, President of the Parents Television Council. ?One can only assume that NBC intended to broadcast a live, uncut awards show to give the program an edge but they clearly crossed the line while trying to score higher ratings,? Bozell added.

In what appears to be a disturbing trend, the recent American Music Awards were also filled with vulgar language and behavior. Patricia Heaton, co-star of Everybody Loves Raymond, walked out of the ceremonies in protest of the crude content.

?Patricia Heaton made the right call when she walked out on the AMA. We are witnessing an alarming trend in live programming. There is no reason for an awards show that is broadcast on network television at 8:00 pm to contain references to women?s breasts, three-way sex and highly inappropriate language,? continued Bozell.

Thanks Chris, my paper only had the first paragraph! That's fucking hilarious! :laugh:

u2chris said:

In what appears to be a disturbing trend, the recent American Music Awards were also filled with vulgar language and behavior. Patricia Heaton, co-star of Everybody Loves Raymond, walked out of the ceremonies in protest of the crude content.

More fucking power to ya...

:| :der:

Sheesh...if you really want something to protest or be upset about, I can think of a lot more serious things besides people using vulgar language.

what the fuck? i've heard worse on TV

it was a man's honest expression of happiness, what's the big deal?

fucking prudes

Ah Mr. Brent Bozell strikes again. This is the same guy who tried to shut down Vince McMahon and the then WWF over television content, blaiming pro-wrestling for the murder of a little girl by her 12 year old, mentaly-handicapped brother. The defense's blaim pro-wrestling defense was thrown out in court, Vince sued Bozell for millions of dollars and a written appology to the WWF and all it's fans, McMahon won, and Bozell was forced to post a formal appology on the wwf's web page. The guy jumps from cause to cause, blaiming television for the downfall of society, Columbine & other school shootings, 9/11, tornados, hurricanes, the Kennedy Assasination, Bill Buckner's Game 6 error, and I believe AIDS. He's nothing more than a wanker with too much time on his hands who likes to blaim the media for the downfalls of parents. Fuck him.

these are also the parents who let their kids watch south park and see nothing wrong. they're a bunch of fucking hypocrites.

*eric cartman voice*:

"what's the big fucking deal? it doesn't hurt anybody....fuckidy fuck fuck fuck....see?"

I think that they are making too much out of this. Actually he didn't say it that loud, and with the audience clapping and cheering I also had a time with Bono saying it. :scratch:

wertsie said:
:shrug: I don't see what the big deal is. It wasn't blatantly noticeable or anything!

Thats why i dont get it too. I mean come on it was just one word it wasnt like he was up there and everyother word out of his mouth was the f word or any other "bad" word.

I doubt young kids were watching the Golden Globes anyways, I don't think it would interest them (at least mine had no interest, not to mention, they were in bed). They should be looking at the crap that MTV shows, which IMO, is more disturbing than someone saying the "F" word.

Friends is on at 8:00 pm, and sometimes my nine year old watches it with me. There have been many occasions that after watching it with her, a sexual comment will come on and I think, what am I doing, she shouldn't be listening to this. That bothers me more than having her hear swearing.

it would have been OK (ok meaning no one would have made a big deal about it) had it been eminem. although if he had won he wouldn't have been there, right?

:rolleyes: He was excited. Words slip out. *Whatever. Some people really need to get a life.
There are children out there suffering from abuse, malnutrition and other horrible things, yet there is an organisation called the "Parents Television Council?" Surely these people can find a better cause. Kids shouldn't be watching TV anyway. Buy a book!

I learned that bad words are only bad if they're about sex or excrements. I don't think Bono meant anything sexually. So by my 8th grade English teacher's rules, he's innocent...:D

I think it's silly to see newspapers calling it the "F-word," like a class of kindergarteners.

Angel said:
:rolleyes: He was excited. Words slip out. *Whatever. Some people really need to get a life.
There are children out there suffering from abuse, malnutrition and other horrible things, yet there is an organisation called the "Parents Television Council?" Surely these people can find a better cause. Kids shouldn't be watching TV anyway. Buy a book!

Then they would complain about the content in the book....a la Harry Potter :rolleyes:

It was mentioned about the AMA's somewhere along the lines about how much "bad language" was said...and I kinda agreed, not because of the bad language part, but it was so damn annoying to hear every other word out of one of the Osbourne's mouth bleeped out.

for some reason I'm finding this thread fucking hilarious

It's funny that Bono will say "fuck" on live network TV in front of millions of people, but he won't say "shit" in a church.

with all the good this man has done, they choose to dwell on this?!?

*edit* LMAO KRISTIE!! that was SOOOOOOOOOOO funny!

To be perfectly honest with ya, I didn't even hear the "fuck" the first time 'cause he said it so softly and away from the microphone. It's not like it's the first time he's slipped an F-bomb on a nationaly televised awards show. I believe he did so when he accepted Zooropa's Grammy award... all I can remember is them panning to a very surprised Billy Joel after he let it slip. And then of course 5 minutes later he comes out and gives a legendary speech for Francis Albert Sinatra, who then goes on to get cut off before finishing his speech, which is something they should have done to friggin' Richard Gere after he went on for 15 minutes after accepting his Golden Globe the other night (see how everything comes full circle?)

How about these people stop complaining about a spontaneous slip of the mouth and start complaining about Laura Flynn Boyle showing up to the events in a fucking too-too. Bono and Edge's speech was the best of the night... reason being? It only lasted like 2 friggin minutes, as opposed to some makeup guy in a foreign language film thanking every citizen of the People's Republic of China personaly by name! Argh these people piss me off.

DML said:

Then they would complain about the content in the book....a la Harry Potter :rolleyes:

It was mentioned about the AMA's somewhere along the lines about how much "bad language" was said...and I kinda agreed, not because of the bad language part, but it was so damn annoying to hear every other word out of one of the Osbourne's mouth bleeped out.
People complained about Harry Potter? :( That's ridiculous.

Anyway... I didn't watch most of the AMA's but excessive bleeping of swear words would be highly annoying.
A small slip of the tongue like what Bono did, is completely acceptable if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom